Northern Tractor comparison

/ Northern Tractor comparison #21  
Walter has not been selling Jinmas, for awhile. He use to sell the Agracat, Jinma tractor. He has been selling DFAM with the Avenger name, for some time. I have seen a number of Avenger dealers, popping up, and the tractor has been starting to take off. Task Master also sells this tractor. I would be a little surprised, if this were true. Maybe Walter or one of his dealers can pipe in, to clear things up.

/ Northern Tractor comparison #22  
"I think that within the next year or so the only new Jinma dealer in the states will be Agracat."

I am interested in why you would think this. Even with the quantities you mention, it is not enough to lock down an exclusive contract with the factory. The factory learned their lesson some time ago what can happen with an exclusive contract.

With that many Agracat's, I am a little surprised that I have not received more input from owners. I believe Nortrac has sold over 500 units, but they represent the majority in the survey. Not saying that its not true, because just this week, someone pointed out to me, a distributer of Jinma's in my backyard, so to speak. They are said to have about 200 tractors on the ground.

/ Northern Tractor comparison #23  
<font color=blue>I would be a little surprised, if this were true. </font color=blue>

I went to his website and he has removed the majority of his tractor models including his Terra Cyclone that he's bragged about for well over a year.

He imported for Agracat in the beginning, had a falling out of some kind and quit, started selling Jinmas under the "Sport Diesel" label then quit, introduced the Avenger and Terra Cyclone models sold dealerships and now appears to have quit these ventures also. So where's the surprise?

It would probably help the reputation of these tractors if Barrett would get out completely and let people like Maverick, Bolton and Taskmaster lead the way. At least these guys stand behind their product and appear to be in it for the long haul.

/ Northern Tractor comparison #24  
Never was a fan of his blatant advertising at CTOA or some of his boasting. I didn't see any evidence that his Agracat or Terra Cyclone actualy took-off, at all. Avengers have been showing-up at numerous places, and seemed to be poised to do well. If he has truely stopped selling them, then there could be a common thread.

/ Northern Tractor comparison #25  
I went to see Walter Barrett when I started looking at tractors. He stated that he didn't have tractors at his location but would be more than happy to talk to me and provide info and answers to my questions. He operates out of a nice two story office addition at his home(on a lake). He was upfront and honest regarding the warranties on the chinese tractors. It was a parts only warranty and if the rear end needed to be replaced you would have to remove it, ship it at your expense to the west coast, send it back to the factory, and wait for a replacement to be shipped from the factory in China, then pay shipping back to Mass. This process could take 2-3 months I was told. The bottom line to me was yes the price sounded extremely good but I felt the support was just not there. After looking into the fiasco with Rhino tractors I decided to purchase a tractor from one of the big 3, (ended up with a NH 1920). I just didn't feel comfortable buying something that had very limited support. Just my opinion.

Bill C

/ Northern Tractor comparison #26  
You need to run in the opposite direction of that tractor--We sold that same china tractor for 1 year under another name (Allied)--We would sell one and before we got back to the shop, from delivery, the customer would have our phone ringing off the hook with the lift or pto or tranmission locked or guages etc. had quit working--After taking on the Kioti Tractors at our dealership, it is like being in heaven

Attachments

• 46-121420-lb1914andloader.JPG
    46-121420-lb1914andloader.JPG
    77 KB · Views: 287
   / Northern Tractor comparison #27  
I wouldnt want to ship a rear end back either,I know that you could just get the ring and pinion and bearing set?The parts are easy to get over the internet from more than one source

/ Northern Tractor comparison
Guys I just wanted to thank all of you for the information and opinions you've presented me. This has been a great help. I'm not gonna reply to everyone because I know that would be annoying and I know you don't want this thread to keep popping up on top but..

re: the China Depot situation - If I'm selling good product so fast that I've used up my quota and haven't been able to figure out a way around the quotas (and even I can spot several), then that is what I tell prospective customers. I don't tell prospective customers that I've been selling crap and have now decided to look for something else. HOWEVER, if i'm an honest businessman and I've got quality problems, then that is exactly what I tell them. Walter, I appreciate your honesty.

Shifty, tractor barn and others that gave quotes - if I haven't e-mailed you yet I will. I talked to Carver and a couple of others and it is hard to overcome > $1000 in shipping costs. But I'm willing to talk to anyone.

JohnS, that is an outstanding web site. I appreciate the information as well as the other links.

Anyone else that I didn't mention that gave me an honest opinion, or an honest quote - thanks again. This my friends is the internet at its finest. No one even called me a commie loving *O8#$%$ or questioned my parenthood. I'll go back to watching the discussions for awhile and continue to research these tractors.

And guys, there is a special place in my heart for a store that has a tractor for sale right up front by the cash register, even if it isn't green.

Carey.

/ Northern Tractor comparison #29  
From a number of small Jinma importers I have talked to, they have not had to send any parts back to China, to get new ones. Most didn't even need a photo, just took it on faith. The warrantee parts are included in the next container or they can be shipped seperatly, at the dealers expense. Larger dealers, such as Northern and Agracat, should be able to absorb or handle this with a complete stock of all parts on hand or a much tighter relationship with the factory.

/ Northern Tractor comparison #30  
If they failed immediatly on delivery, as you say, than a thourgh assembly, inspection, and check-out might not have been performed. They are not "bolt and go" tractors. There are a number of small dealers that have taken the time to understand these tractors and focus on customer sat, that are thriving. Many dealers that thought they would expand across the US overnight, have not faired as well. They might have been more interested in signing new dealers than supporting the ones they had. Northern and Agracat may be the exceptions to this.