Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #1  

TractorMBA

Hey guys,

Based on your answers in my previous thread I have somewhat of an idea what influences your buying behavior when shopping for compact / small tractor (under 50hp).

So what factors do the "bigger" guys consider while purchasing the larger units (50hp and above)? What is the fundamental difference in the decision process?

Maybe they aren't as concerned about the price (compared to compact tractor buyers) of their equipment because the tractor is the source of their livelihood? Is that a correct assumption? What do yall think?

This is my previous post I was reffering to: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...s/109685-compact-tractor-101-help-please.html

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #2  
Sir, I only have a compact tractor not a farm tractor. I did grow up on and farm have brothers still farming along with many friends and acquaintances.
Let me assure you that people are indeed cost conscious regarding the equipment they purchase with the idea in mind that they might be able to make a profit (living) with same.
Tim

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #3  
Well I thing a great deal has to do with why you need a tractor. Tractors are not like a cars or any other vehicle in the respect that you don't replace them more than every 10 to 20 years. I think landscapers tear them up quicker than anyone. I think there is a whole new generation of hobby farmers, horse people & people the have found new way to spend the next 30 years of retirement homesteading that has given birth to the compact tractor market. I guess that leaves the production farmer, heavy equipment operators, forest industry, Basically anyone that need big muscle. I don't think anyone would spend more than they need but certainly want enough to do the job at hand

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #4  
Farm tractors are purchased for function...for example...I run 70 hp minimum for small square bale haying operations...that involves running baler/kicker and hauling a haywagon behind which can have 200+ 60 lb bales...

The bigger the farm the bigger the tractor...My cousin in ND farms 26 square miles and has two 500 hp monsters...:D and operates with GPS and LANDSAT...

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #5  
tractormba, I do believe you'll have to go elsewhere to pick the brains of the 50+ hp market, those tractors are different animals altogether and marketed to folks who likely do not spend much time on internet forums. However, if you were in my neighborhood tonight you could've walked across the street and talked to the co-op guys as they were fertilizing the bean field with a tractor that made the 18 wheeler parked next to it look small....

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #6  
TractorMBA said:
Hey guys,

Based on your answers in my previous thread I have somewhat of an idea what influences your buying behavior when shopping for compact / small tractor (under 50hp).

So what factors do the "bigger" guys consider while purchasing the larger units (50hp and above)? What is the fundamental difference in the decision process?

Maybe they aren't as concerned about the price (compared to compact tractor buyers) of their equipment because the tractor is the source of their livelihood? Is that a correct assumption? What do yall think?

This is my previous post I was reffering to: http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...s/109685-compact-tractor-101-help-please.html

I started with a new Kubota B7510HST diesel (21 hp engine, 17 hp pto) in May05 with the LA302 FEL (4-ft wide bucket). My first tractor so I went with HST and with Kubota mainly because of their reputation (they have about 60% of the CUT/SCUT market). But price and financing ($12600 plus tax,10% down, 0% for 36 months) were important factors. It's what I need for general purpose light work around my 10 acres of pasture land (toting material, mowing with a 4-ft brush hog, box blade work, 4-ft rototiller for lawn and garden).

In July06 I bought a 1964 Massey Ferguson 135 diesel (45 hp engine, 37 hp pto) for discing and plowing ($3600, 4600 hours on the tractormeter). I refurbished it this year (new gauges, rewired, painted, engine/transmission/hydraulics servicing). I'm nearly finished restoring an old 6-ft wide offset disc (a freeby from my neighbor) that I'll use to cut fire breaks along my fence line and for hayfield tilling. Plan to get a 2-14 plow soon for the 135.

I hope to put about 7 acres in a haycrop next year. Am looking for a 1960-70s vintage 70-hp (engine) tractor (JD 3020, 4010, 2640, Farmall 684, 706, Case 930, etc) for this work. If I can find something that runs OK for $6k I'll be a happy camper.

I find that locating candidate used tractors is not that difficult. Finding decent used haying equipment (seeders, sicklebar mowers, rakes, tedders, balers, etc) is quite a bit harder up here in the North Valley. Most of the used implements for high end utility tractors (60-100 hp) are specific for orchard work, not haying. If I lived East of the Rockies, finding nicely priced used haying implements would be considerably easier.

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #7  
I am a good candidate for an under 50 hp tractor, but own two over that instead. Reason, very simple. Money. I have less money in the two tractors, and all of my attachments, then most of these guys have in their SCUTS.
I just like the cost of the larger ones in the $$ versus hp, as it becomes a lot better deal when it is time to go to work.
David from jax

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #8  
Believe me ,Farmers and people who buy larger tractors...$ is #1 depending on how bad it is we can fix the rest ?Which most farmers buy at auctions not dealers .

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #9  
It's always been my belief that it's easier to adapt to a tractor that's "too big" than it is to get by with one that's "too small". When I was farming, any purchases were based on income potential. Same applies now with the mowing business. At one stage, back in the early '80's, I did buy a tractor that was just simply too big for my general needs. (110 hp/mfwd) That was a result of needing to upgrade all my implements from CAT I and smaller CAT II to larger CAT II, and CAT III in order to make full use of the tractors size and power. I simply didn't need that big of equipment at that time. Fortunately, I bought a tractor that had a great resale value. (Deere 4250) I actually made money on short term ownership of a new purchase. That doesn't always play out that way.

Over the years, I've bought and sold numerous used tractors. That's always been my best method of handling short term needs. Buy cheap, use for a time, re-sell high. Make money USING and make money SELLING.

Aside from a couple "family heirlooms", any tractors I've ever owned were bought considering their potential to earn me money. 35 years ago, "small" was 40+ hp. "Big" was 60 to 70 HP. Today, my idea of big (as big as I need) is around 100 hp. Small, as in what I'm shopping for now, is in the 50 to 60 HP range.

/ Large Tractor vs. Compact Tractor #10  
Looking around my area over the years and talking to some of the farmers that are left, I've always noticed they usually have a smaller tractor around as well as their large machine. The guy who farms the land behind me had a rather large John Deere discing and then later seeding. When it came time to harvest, he used smaller tractors to pull the wagons down the road. The one farm I go by everyday, I noticed that he has some tractors set up for dedicated jobs and others he changes the implements out on.