Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman.....

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #11  
daTeacha said:
Those exclamation points are not for emphasis. The system needs at least 5 characters to accept a message.

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman.....
surely there must be a story here somewhere. C'mon, fess up. Who got busted?

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #13  
I bought a car out of state one time and did not pay a sales tax on it and a couple of months later I got a letter stating I could pay the tax or they would set me a court date. So I put the check in the mail that same day.

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #14  
Why not just start a small garden or get a cow?:confused: both would be cheaper than paying taxes with ag exemt.

dirt clod said:
Why not just start a small garden or get a cow?:confused: both would be cheaper than paying taxes with ag exemt.

minor complications - I do live on 7 acres where we raise chickens in a 100 year old barn and am zoned AG exclusive, which qualifies me for the exemption; however, I also own a construction company and plan to expense the tractor on my 2007 tax bill. I am sure that I will ultimately have to pay sales tax (the lesser of the two evils), but I would love to have my cake and eat it too.....

My own situation aside, I would really like to hear some horror stories (my guess is there are few). After all, halloween is just right around the corner.... baaaaaad taxman :eek:

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #16  
davitk said:
minor complications - I do live on 7 acres where we raise chickens in a 100 year old barn and am zoned AG exclusive, which qualifies me for the exemption; however, I also own a construction company and plan to expense the tractor on my 2007 tax bill. I am sure that I will ultimately have to pay sales tax (the lesser of the two evils), but I would love to have my cake and eat it too.....

My own situation aside, I would really like to hear some horror stories (my guess is there are few). After all, halloween is just right around the corner.... baaaaaad taxman :eek:

The IRS would love to see an AG exemption on the tractor purchase and then a business depreciation on the tractor...$$$ penalties...I had something similar to this when my FORMER accountant switched my wife's vehicle and my vehicle over multiple tax years as to which vehicle belonged to which business for purpose of depreciation...it ended up that I didn't owe any monies...but I did have the pleasure of being audited for several years...:rolleyes:

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #17  
I think I looked into this a few years ago. In New York in order to qualify as a Ag business there is a $$ minimum I think it was $10k I think it was revenue.

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #18  
What gets me, is the fact that states and federal Gov will spend multiple thousands of dollars to go after you. But you take a corporate behemoth who does lilos (lease in/lease out) overseas to evade tens to hundreds of millions of dollars of taxes and the rocket scientists at the IRS can't catch them.

FYI - these lilos, or whatever they are calling them now, are basically a company paying some municipality in Whatever country (other than U.S.) to lease something of theirs. In two cases, the company leased the sewer lines from a small german town for several million dollars, paid the town, and never used anything. It is well documented, and their have even been news reports about it. But don't pay $1000.00 dollars in taxes for a tractor, and your some kind of thief.

Sorry for the rant, but when I hear the psuedo businessmen/managers in government say the state/federal government needs to generate more money, I get ticked. Thats why this country had a revolution in the first place, government imposed taxes became overly burdensome and annoying.

davitk said:
I know this has been covered before, but has anyone ever REALLY been busted for buying out of state and not paying sales tax?

The ag exemption will save 1100.00, the business expense (Section 179, I believe) several thousand. In a perfect world, you could double dip.....

It does appear that the paper trail from an out of state purchase would catch up with me; the only question then would be whether I write off the sales tax (use tax) portion of the purchase on 2007 taxes or 2008 taxes.

Baaaaaad taxman.

/ Bad Taxman Bad Taxman Bad Taxman..... #20  
You want personal experience? How about me. 7 years ago I bought a trailer in Tennessee. (I live in Ky) We don't have to license trailers here, so long as we stay in state. Taxes are paid at the time of licensing. I full well INTENDED to pay the sales tax.

Oooops! :eek: I forgot.

I'll remember next time :rolleyes: Ky Revenue Cabinet had a way of not letting me ever forget that. Tax, delinquent fee, and fine was quite a hit. It took 3 years to get to me, but they didn't forget.