Origins of the 'Compact Tractor'

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #11  
Re: Origins of the \'Compact Tractor\'

I'd have to do some digging to find the exact figures, but the difference between gross and net horsepower actually is in how the dyno test is conducted. Gross horsepower is figured at a lower temperature/ higher air density than net horsepower. Other than that, the engines are equipped the same.

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #12  

I am not sure who offered the first compacts but it is safe to safe that Kubota exploited and ultimately defined this class of tractor in the "modern era", like it or not, they still dominate it and have the largest number of offereings (models) of compact utility tractors and have the most loyal following (opinion).
I remember when Kubotas first started showing up and a used car lot in my home town picked up a dealership for them. The used cars are long gone but he still sells 'botas, well actually his son does. I do not know that Kubota was first or even second but I do know they defined the market and defied the market as well and then like now they still build their own engines and transmissions and tractors (except some of their small lawn units which I think are Kawasaki engined). I can see this same question coming up 20 years from now but refering to sub-compacts--the first true mulitpupose, usefully functional, modern sub-compact utility tractor that was called a sub-compact is the Kubota BX to answer that question a few years in advance. J

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #13  

Going by the SAE definition the first "compact utility tractor" was made by the David Brown manufacturing company under the guidance of Harry Ferguson back in the mid 1920s. Since these were built and mostly used in England, I would give the title of "First CUT used in large numbers in the USA" to the Ford 9N in 1929.

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #14  

Let us know if you find that reference. My first impression was that like cars, gross horsepower was taken at the flywheel without any hp robbing items attached. There would still be an exhaust but it would generally be a far less restrictive system the would be attached on the road. Of course, on tractors you could use the actual muffler due to its size unlike a car system. Net horsepower would be taken at the rear wheel which would take into account hp deductions for transmission, rear differential, power steering pump, water pump, cooling fan etc. Maybe I have my terms mixed up.

Jeff

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #15  

Any thoughts from those of you as to "who" (which company) invented the 'compact' and when did it all start.

I believe Al Gore invented the Compact Tractor shortly after he invented the Internet...must have been around 1977.

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #16  

Why can't that guy make it big in business? After all stealing ideas is a time honored way to get rich./w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

Chris

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #17  

There's an argument to be made for the Fords and MF's and Olivers, etc, but I personally consider a compact tractor a modern machine with a diesel engine in addition to the specifics JackIL mentioned...

This whole industry, in America anyway, was really started by Kubota when they first brought the 21-horsepower L200 to the states, in 1970. It seems all other manufacturers have been trying to catch up since then...

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #18  

gross HP is what the engine puts out at the crankshaft with out any "accessories" attached. Accessories include alternator water pump, A/C compressor etc.

Net horsepower includes the power lost to the accessories.

All horsepower ratings are adjusted to standard temperature (room temp) & pressure (1 atm - sea level).

Steve

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor'

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

just when I thought I had heard the last of him.

Jerry

/ Origins of the 'Compact Tractor' #20  

I thought he was the main reason for "Love Story" being written. That was well before the Internet as we know it. Wasn't that book written in the early 70's about Al and Tipper?

Kubota was pretty much the first compact with 4WD in this country. They've been in Japan since the 1800's. Perhaps Al invented the 4WD on these imports.