Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Fullsized JCB Loader/Backhoe

Default Re: Origins of the \'Compact Tractor\'

Rumor has it that Mark Chalkley has not been as active here lately because he stole Gore's origional Cup idea. Gore is reputed to be mad as a snake about what has become known as the Chalkley Cup. Further rumor has it that Gore has had some of the same folk "talk" with Mr. Chalkley that Mr. Condit had "talk" to Chandra Levey. Given that (thankfully) Mr. Chalkley is still here, I suppose that is yet another sign of Gore's ineptness (relative to Condit). [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/w3tcompact/icons/eyes.gif[/img]

Epic Contributor
    R.I.P.
    Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Muhammad, I tend to agree with you about the term "compact tractor" not being applicable to the earlier Fords, Fergusons, etc.. JackILs post dated the SAE spec. in 1997. Although it may have existed before then, I think you have to consider when the phrase was created and how it differentiated the models being manufactured at that time. Although many of the earlier tractors fit the spec, I don't believe Harry Ferguson or Henry Ford really thought of their tractors as "compact utility tractors". It's modern terminology for modern tractors; however, an accurate statement might be that the "roots" of modern compact tractors go back to the early Fords, Fergusons, John Deeres, and Masseys. ...just my opinion.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200, Kubota B2410

I too, of course, believe kubota responsible for this segment of tractors. I really doubt Kubota has any "roots" with Fords or Masseys or Simplicities lawn mowers (nice little web site) or possibly had never even of heard of them till coming to the North America market. Now Ford appears to be out of the tractor buisness, and is Simplicity building anything but lawn mowers, did they ever--I never saw any compact utility tractors at Montgomery Wards but then I was just a kid then? and Kioti paints their tractors Kubota orange. Maybe there is a "missing link" somewhere but it isn't an 8N in my opinion.
    J

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

That's the way I always thought it was, too. I'm still trying to remember where I read it.

Tractor
    2001 TN65, 1951 8N Ford

I just did a google search on '''gross" and "net" horsepower and every reference ( at least until I got bored reading them) shows the flywheel and rear wheel example. Looks like I was wrong, like THAT has never happened before! I had always been taught the traditional definitions but this article made a lot of sense. If I can find it I'll post it and then we can debate it.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    kubota l3010hst/ford 601 workhorse

John just say that you were given a bad reference, better hurry and post the good reference before john miller finds this link

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

I THINK the term compact or utility has a lot to do with timing. when ford made the n series(like my 2 n)they definetily were not considered compact, yet today my b2400 is smaller, more hp, 4wd. less weight and can do more than the ford. but back then the ford was a big tractor. then again take my craftsman 18 hp garden tractor, no way do i consider it anywhere near a b7100 or 7500, yet the hp is about the same as a 7100. they call them garden tractors, it is actually just a big high hp lawnmower.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    EarthForce EF-5 mini-TLB (2001)

Richard - Uh, yeah. Fortunately, with the 11-foot digging depth of the EF-500, it's unlilkely they'll ever be found... [img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Tractor
    Mitsubishi D 1800

In the 40s there were no "compact" tractors, but there were some for use in the "patch" which was where you grew your 'taters, sweetcorn and strawberries. The most popular was the Farmall Cub, and JD had one, I believe was the "H". I'm sure other companies made these downsized tractors. Ours was home made and had an 8 1/2 Briggs and Straton single cylinder engine, 4 speed tranny and rear wheel brakes that operated by a lever. The word compact came into use in 1960 with the introduction of the Ford Falcon, Mercury Comet, etc.

I don't recall hearing of "compact" tractors (or compact cars either) 40-50 years ago, but our John Deere L (guy dad bought it from called it a 1940 model, although it might have been a 1938), two cylinder gas, liquid cooled, 3-speed, hand cranked, etc. sure seems to me like it would have fit the bill. Instead of compact tractor, I used to hear them referred to as garden tractors, but of course, that was before the current crop of what we now know as lawn and garden tractors.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast