Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads?

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #1  

Superduper

Platinum Member
Tractor
John Deere 3120, Kubota BX2350, Deere X740
1.2M posts, 39,000+ registered users, and many more guests at any given time perusing tractorbynet than actual registered users.

My question: Why aren't users doing more horsetrading/bartering on the classifieds section of TBN? I read all the time how one user needs this or that preferably used and another user says I got one, PM me. There simply has got to be more users out there with stuff sitting around not used than being reflected in these ads. I'm thinking that for used tractors, implements, attachments, parts, etc, this has got to be a much better targeted audience than the likes of ebay and CL right?

Or perhaps people just don't want to sell their toys and would rather they sit around unused. Can it really be that simple?

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #2  
I am currently shopping for a tractor, and have pretty much written off buying used private sale because of the financing issue. Seems that trading in, trading up follows suit, there's a lot of incentive to go through a dealer. For me, the 0% financing compared to 8 - 10%, and the warranty issue, make it a no brainer. Besides, new is just so nice.

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads?
If you're in the market for a late model tractor purchase, I agree. However, there are many older tractors that are quite reasonable alternatives to new.

But how about that box scraper someone purchased which they discovered is too big or too small for their needs? Or how about that PHD that was purchased, used once for a project long ago completed and now collecting dust. Or how about that ballast box that came with tractor that just never gets used because the box scraper is just as good? What about the R1's that were removed in favor of turf tires and have since become home to the black widows. I'll bet that there are many folks out there that would trade (or sell) one of these implements for something that they now need because their needs have changed.

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #4  
I agree. I've often wonderd why there are so few classified postings on here.

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #5  
Most of us realize that if we listed all of our stuff, the forum bandwidth would be overloaded, so we just stay out of the classifieds. Picking and choosing which item to sell, not to sell often leads to doing nothing. Setting reasonable prices often has it's drawbacks, especially due to the different areas of the country/world that come into play. Add in shipping costs and it really gets confusing, since most tractor parts tend to be a little heavy.
I really should sell some of my junk on here also!!!
David from jax

Superduper, are you selling that 'vette?

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #6  
Superduper said:
1.2M posts, 39,000+ registered users, and many more guests at any given time perusing tractorbynet than actual registered users.

My question: Why aren't users doing more horsetrading/bartering on the classifieds section of TBN? I read all the time how one user needs this or that preferably used and another user says I got one, PM me. There simply has got to be more users out there with stuff sitting around not used than being reflected in these ads. I'm thinking that for used tractors, implements, attachments, parts, etc, this has got to be a much better targeted audience than the likes of ebay and CL right?

Or perhaps people just don't want to sell their toys and would rather they sit around unused. Can it really be that simple?

Don't know. Seems like a no-brainer if you're selling to use TBN's classifieds since the price is right (free) and you know that you've targeted the right group of potential buyers.

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #7  
I'll tell you why.

For newer model purchases.
Both parties are informed and educated on the object of the sale.

The seller wants a fair price.
The potential buyers wants a great deal.

Since both are privy to information here, that is a mighty fine line to come to an agreement over.

Add dealer/factory financing/incentives that line is razor thin.

-Mike Z.

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads?
sandman2234 said:
David from jax

Superduper, are you selling that 'vette?

David, I have 7 vehicles ranging in years from '65 to '2007 and the stingray is the ONLY vehicle that I won't sell. I've had it since just out of high school and it's my "baby." If it was just your average, I would have sold it long ago. But every time I start it up, the lopey idle and earthquake inducing 427 just hyptnotizes me and any thought of sale just evaporates. That, and also the fact that it is kind of rare. It's powered by a 435hp/427 with tri-power carbs, the chevy moniker for the equivalent of the Chrysler 6-pack. ~Super.

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #9  
One reason I think you don't see much is due to the classified section not being incorporated into the forum like most other forums are setup. Many people may not even notice we have one here.
I often forget there's even a classified section here because you have to select it from the list at the top.
Just my $.02

/ Buying, Selling, Trading: Why so little ads? #10  
Superduper said:
My question: Why aren't users doing more horsetrading/bartering on the classifieds section of TBN?
IMO, the answer is simple. There are not many objects associated with tractors that are light, so shipping is an issue.

Even if the buyer and seller are close to one another, do both of them have the proper equipment to transfer the object.

I have posted 1 item for sale on the classifieds, a NH 914A mid mount mower. The buyer was 100 miles away. To complete this sale, I needed;

A compressor and an impact gun to remove the mmm and all the mounting parts from my tractor.
A FEL to be able to load the mmm on his trailer.

The buyer needed;
A trailer big enough to hold the mmm
A vehicle big enough to haul the trailer
A way to unload the mmm at his home.

If any piece is missing, no sale, or a sale that doesn't make financial sense.