Tractor and Equipment Review section

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #1  

RoyJackson

Rest in Peace
Tractor
John Deere 4052R Cab,, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements
I see there's been no new reviews (at least in the Deere section) since 2006.
Is the review section still open for business?

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #2  
It seems to me that everyone does their reviews in the tractor specific forum. And maybe that's a good thing (for tractors), just go to that forum. Implements might be a different story. IMO.

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #3  
Looking for a good tractor review was how I found this forum.

As a newbie, I would say that the reviews were useful, but dated. However, he forum has been a world of help so far.

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #4  
There was a thread about the review section a few (maybe several) months back, Roy. As I recall, an administrator (Muhammed??) responded and said that big changes were being made to the review section and the new version wasn't ready for release. That was the stated reason for not posting recent reviews to the existing section.

I agree, the review section is an extremely valuable resource for anyone in the market for a tractor. I think the issue with the review section was distinguishing "Gosh, I'm so happy" low hour reviews from those based on many hours of use and a range of operating experience. Muhammed may be trying to come up with a weighting system.
Bob

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #5  
For what it's worth, I had the same experience as ArmsOutWide. When I decided to begin looking for a new tractor (more of an evolutionary process than a decision) I "googled" John Deere 4120 and found the review posted on TractorByNet. I stumbled further into the site through that review. I ended up buying a Kubota and the discussion board assisted me through the process. So for me, the review section introduced me to TractorByNet.
And I'm glad it did!
-Len

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #6  
Not sure what TBN has planned (it sure has been a long time in the coming). But, If I were running this website, I'd seek out the truly experienced users, and/or users with many hours on their machines to write reviews. I would entice them to write with good old fashion hard cash, say $50 for 75 words of wisdom. To pay for this, I would sell ad space to manufacturers, divide the tractor reviews in sections by manufacturer and implements by type, and have the user watch an ad before they can access the reviews. To keep it from being annoying the user would have the option to skip the ad. I think most of us like watching short, informative demos of equipment, at least one time anyway. This could be far more efficient than having the user wade through post after post of new owners who love their first-ever tractor with just 50 hours of experience in order to find the one or two guys who really know what they are talking about.

Further, I'd try to broker deals with printed publications that write reviews and obtain rights to reprint, or link to their sites for the reviews.

Similarly, in the specifications section, I would think that manufacturers would be quick to offer up their specs if they got some "press" out of it when users went there. Certainly, links to the manufacturers' websites is a very easy implementation and I don't think you even need their permission. I'm not sure why this hasn't been done already.

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #7  
I don't have time to elaborate right now, but we are working on a new reviews section.

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #9  
I posted an update to my L4400 review and it did not get posted. Now I understand why. Thanks Muhammad.

While I agree that it is nice to have reviews by experts that is probably not going to be a reality unless Muhammad has made arrangments for a panel of experts to get demos from the manufacturers...which would be great. Otherwise its probably going to take regular members to provide content for the reviews. It might be reasonable for the reviews to be edited and only the well done ones allowed in.

When I wrote my review on the L4400 I said up front it was from a beginners perspective and for new buyers I think that perspective can be useful. But, that's also why I wrote a follow-up review after 2 years of ownership. I think follow up reviews are very nice to have, especially since as you get to know a machine better you get a much better idea of its strengths and weaknesses, but you also get an idea about durability and quality.

/ Tractor and Equipment Review section #10  
I also wrote up a review a couple of months ago on my King Kutter 6' finish mower after 7 seasons with it... hasn't shown up yet.

I wonder if it's gone, or just in the que...?