Bait and switch

/ Bait and switch #1  

Tig

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota, B7100HST-D
So last week I was fortunate to find a dealer on the Buhler website who had a used 48" Buhler. Used "once to clear a driveway across the street from the church". $1200.00 Dealer puts my name on the blower until I can inspect it Monday. Good price, but I don't see any 48" blowers on the Buhler site. Hmmmm... I drive to Belleville Monday morning. Walk all around the lot with two sales people who can't find the Buhler. Their explanation "I guess someone sold it". Luckily they had a "Meteor" made by Buhler" for $1200. It was used by "the guy who lives across the street from the Mormon church to clean his sidewalk last year". PTO shaft missing.
I've never found loosing my temper to be of any value so I left, disgusted.

/ Bait and switch #2  
It is an age old problem... I nailed a local Auto Parts chain for running ads for items they did not have to get people to come in and then switch them over to the higher priced brand...

The Alameda County DA did and investigation based on 3 months worth of ads I had saved to establish that this was not a random, one time occurrence... The chain is no longer in business... don't think it was because of me... though.

I also filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I know they sent a letter in follow-up for misleading and false business practices.

Unfortunately, simple incompetence or stupidity is a sufficient defense in most cases

Last edited:
   / Bait and switch #3  
Organizations or people that practice this will not be around long. Unfortunately, the do a lot of damage until they're gone...

/ Bait and switch #4  
Always a pleasure to see more Canucks on board.

I bought my new Meteor 68" blower last year for $1800. The implement dealer I use (he is just becoming a Mahindra dealer... until now he only sold implements) is Islandview Farm Equipment in Orangeville.... a ways away from you if you are close to Belleville but you might want to give him a shout to see if he's got something for you.

There have been a number of times I've shopped for something used for a while only to find that Charlie at Islandview can give me almost as good a deal on something new.

I would *guess* that he could probably get you into a new Meteor for not much more than $1500-1600. Just a guess.

If you've got a truck, I'd suggest shopping in the USA. Really good deals to be had there.

/ Bait and switch #5  
Good for you, TIG!
I would have walked also!
David from jax

/ Bait and switch
I checked the US. The Buhler is about 5% more in USD before exchange. It seems to be a fair coversion at the moment for a Canadian product, so no deals to be had there.
I had my heart set on a Buhler. The large skid shoes are just what I need for my 600m of gravel/rock laneway and the hydraulic rotation bracket is quite reasonable. That being said the Meteor is a nice unit. I'll give Charlie a call and see what he has got. Thanks.
As for sales tactics I am shopping around because I have time but that doesn't mean I want to waste my time or the dealers. I stopped by an Agrotrend dealer on my travels today. They had a C54 with the price written right on the unit $1525. I was in and out of the lot in under 5 mins. If I buy an Agrotrend it will probably be from them.

/ Bait and switch #7  
Yeah - I didn't mean to suggest Buhler in the USA as they are Canadian.

I got the optional skid shoes on my Meteor and they are pretty good. The Meteor is a decent unit. Pretty sure that Charlie carries Agrotrend as well.\

Good luck with your search.

/ Bait and switch #8  
I just got a Meteor 75" with the Hyd operated chute in the US for $2100.

/ Bait and switch
That seems like a very good price ToadHill. 50" Buhler with the hydraulic rotation bracket, no cylinders or hoses retails for almost that much in the US. Based on prices I was quoted.

/ Bait and switch #10  
Tig said:
I checked the US. The Buhler is about 5% more in USD before exchange. It seems to be a fair coversion at the moment for a Canadian product, so no deals to be had there.
I had my heart set on a Buhler. The large skid shoes are just what I need for my 600m of gravel/rock laneway and the hydraulic rotation bracket is quite reasonable. That being said the Meteor is a nice unit. I'll give Charlie a call and see what he has got. Thanks.
As for sales tactics I am shopping around because I have time but that doesn't mean I want to waste my time or the dealers. I stopped by an Agrotrend dealer on my travels today. They had a C54 with the price written right on the unit $1525. I was in and out of the lot in under 5 mins. If I buy an Agrotrend it will probably be from them.

A TBN member from Winnipeg just wrote about Buhler's being more expensive in Winnipeg (where they are made) then they are in the US. They have Buhler's at my Kubota dealer in northern Michigan. Last year they had Meteor's. Argotrend's are also popular up here.