Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor)

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #1  

VRF201

Hi and hello to all!

Newbie here! :eek:

I just purchased a house with 5 acres and a Kubota GS1800 54 cut.
I'm looking to upgrade to a newer bigger tractor to maintain the property.
My starting point is 30 hp. The land is mostly grass and flat with some brush removing needs.

Would like to stay under 18,000 if possible?

Thanks to all that reply! :D

VRF201 (Roy)

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #2  
If you want the tractor for tasks other than mowing, I'd look at the Kioti CK30. It's a great tractor and you should be able to get one in your price range.

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #3  
Hey Roy,

Keep the G1800, compliment it with a tractor. I'm in the same boat - 7 acres and a Kubota TG1860 mower. I'm keeping the TG1860 to mow in and around "stuff" like my wife's flower beds :D and buying a real tractor with a rotary mower and loader to do the manly "stuff". For 18000.00 you can get a Kubota L3400 HST; I probably will spend an extra 2000.00 for the L3240 HST even though it means remodeling the barn door.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Dave

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #4  
First, welcome to TBN. you gave us very little to go on for your needs, so here's some things to think about.
What dealers are close by and what level of service will you get from them.
What do you need to do with the tractor? Do you plan on a garden? any digging or materials movement?

personally, I recommend a fel on any new tractor purchase...once you own one you'll know why.

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #5  
mid 20's to 30 is a decent range.

Get a 4' or 5' brush cutter to go along with that tractor. Decide on how long you want certain tasks to take, and size your tractor / implements from there.

Are you looking to get a loader?

Soundguy

VRF201 said:
Hi and hello to all!

Newbie here! :eek:

I just purchased a house with 5 acres and a Kubota GS1800 54 cut.
I'm looking to upgrade to a newer bigger tractor to maintain the property.
My starting point is 30 hp. The land is mostly grass and flat with some brush removing needs.

Would like to stay under 18,000 if possible?

Thanks to all that reply! :D

VRF201 (Roy)

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #6  
I agree with the previous posters that 5 acres needs a 30 hp tractor, so you have picked a good starting point. Your mechanical appitude and ability to work on it will determine if you can purchase something new or save the bucks and buy an older model of tractor. I would definitely keep the mower, no doubt about that. A tractor is great for what it is good for, but mowing around SWMBO's flowers and trees, etc isn't as easy as it is with the mower you already have. I would bet you have enough uses for both!
David from jax

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor)
First, thanks for all the quick responses! :)

Most of the time I will be mowing, but alittle digging is in the future.
I will be keeping the GS1800 (came with the house and good around trees).

I was thinking about a Kubota B3030 to small?

One question for ToadHill: How are the Kioti's never heard of them?

Thanks again!

VRF201 (Roy)

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #8  
If buying new, visit your local dealers and see who you feel comfortable with and make that a major decision in your brand choice.

As far as size goes, 30 hp sounds fine for 5 acres. You could probably go a little smaller too and be fine if $ is an issue.

Also consider things like where will you store the tractor. It's a pain if you have to fold your ROPS down every time you park your tractor and more of a pain if you whack your garage door header.

Will you put a backhoe on it? Some brands its easier to add a backhoe later.

Definitely get a loader in your package.

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #9  
Just remember that 5 acres is a lot but you still have to be able to maneuver the equipment.:D :D

/ Need Advice have 5 acres (Looking for first tractor) #10  
You really cannot say 30HP is just about right for five acres. Five acres of fine lawn is different from five acres of brambles is different from 5 acres on the side of a hill, etc...

You need to first define the jobs that you want to do, define your budget, then try to find a machine that will do those jobs in the time that you have to do them while keeping within your budget.

For instance, we have 20 acres and a 25HP tractor. All we need it for is mowing 1 acre of lawn, brush hogging a couple miles of trails a few times a year, dragging firewood out of the forest and plowing the driveway. It is more than large enough to maintain our 20 acres.:)