Pulverizer?

/ Pulverizer? #1  

Charliebrn

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-2360
I need something that will prepare my back yard for grass. At the moment, its rough clay, with some gras, but mostly weeds where theres anything growing at all. I had been planning on using a tiller to do this, but was concerned that the tiller would really be going deeper than I needed for a seedbed.

I was at my dealers this morning, picking up some stuff, and he mentioned that he had just taken in a very lightly used It looks like it may have been used once...almost no paint missing) Woods pulverizer (model 20A500)...48" wide, single roller. I believe I could buy this for $450, and it sounds like a good deal, but I'm not sure.

Anybody have any ideas about the pricing or about whether it'll do the job? My initial thought was to buy it and then resell it once I'm done with it. If it'll do the job, and I can get most of my money back out of it, I'll go ahead and buy it...

/ Pulverizer? #2  
I have a double roller version of the pulverizer you are considering and like the way it performs. It works best when you are starting with rough ground that has no vegetation such as finish grading around a newly constructed house. Tall grass and weeds need to be removed first to prevent plugging of the teeth on the leveling beam of the pulverizer. If the growth is very short it will probably be OK. To produce good results with a pulverizer you need to go over the ground several times at different directions. It will also work in reverse. You might propose renting the pulverizer from the dealer instead of buying. However the price you were quoted is good. I paid $675 for the double roller version when new.

/ Pulverizer? #3  
Charliebrn

I'm not an expert but have researched this extensively. I think you are on the right track with the pulverizer. You can often rent them fairly inexpensively and it's generally a one time thing used in prep. for lawn installs. You can use Roundup to kill the weeds, which is recommended before you pulverize. Roundup is very effective and consdered very safe even with children and pets. The recommended procedure is to spray on the round up. Wait several days and water the heck out of it to get any other weed seeds to germinate. Then shoot it again with Roundup.

You might try this link....

http://lawnsite.com/forumdisplay.php?s=b927451603b8dc8a44f637fdfa0d6b3e&forumid=4

You can read extensively on lawn prep., using pesticides safely and just about anything else you can imagine on lawn care and landscaping.

Good Luck Micromike

/ Pulverizer? #4  
Do remember that rototiller depth is adjustable and The teeth on the pulverizer only stick down below the I-beam about three inches? the the roller then packs down about .5 to 1 inch of soil immediately. After spreading seed it should be rolled again with pulveriser or smooth lawn roller, now we're down to 1.5 to 2 inches of loose earth after a good rain and sun your clay is back to rock hard again.

If you mulch or routinely water area my thoughts might be wrong but you might need an implement or two to get deeper, smooth and then pack.