1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #1  

Scout Dork

Directly under the Earth Sun....................No
'm looking at getting a tractor for multiply uses. Used or New.
I would like to be able to unload either 3'x3'x8' or maybe 4'x4'x8' bales from 18 wheeler.

A old tractors with less power might be able to do what I want. So far I've looked at 30-60 HP but don't know if a subcompact 30 hp would work or if I would have to get a higher Hp model to get the load capacity/height.

Kind of what information I'm looking for, is real world experience. I would really like to get the smallest tractor to do the job, but like all things, get the biggest and you won't complain later.

thanks.

Scout Dork

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #2  
I'd say you're going to need a least a 40HP min. tractor with a good sized rear ballast weight to handle a 1 ton bale. I have a compact 26HP Mahindra 2615HST. The loader is rated for 915# lift cap. to full height @ the pivot pins and a breakout force of 1828#@the pivot pins. To lift a ton bale in the Mahindra tractor line you'd need a model 4500 or similar which is rated for 2400# lift cap. and around 3750 breakout. A subcompact tractor would be way to small.
George

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #3  
Your best bet would be a skid-steer loader or articulated construction loader, if moving 1-ton bales is the main task. Those have the lift capacity and counterbalance to move them safely (obviously some models of each are below that lift capacity, but many models have it). I'm not referring to huge articulated loaders like at gravel pits, but rather smaller models like Kubota makes, often seen at landscape supply places. A tele-handler would also work well but the price and limited availability used would probably make that out of the question. A used construction type backhoe-loader might be another option, either if you have a use for the backhoe or if you find a good deal with or without a backhoe.

It certainly CAN be done with a farm type tractor, but you will need a very big tractor. I move 800-1000lb round bales with my JD 5105, 50-hp utility tractor. I would not recommend anything smaller for round bales of that size. This tractor has rated FEL lift of 2100lbs to full height and about 3500lbs to 59". FEL lift has not been an issue, but with balance and all I wouldn't go any smaller. I have filled rear tires for 1500lbs and I always have a heavy implement on the back (usually a 800+ lb disk or a 700+ lb mower) when moving the round bales. Heaviest load I've ever lifted is approximately 1500lbs in the bucket and I could really feel it, even with all that counterweight. I could move something weighing 2000lbs once a year, but I think it would be unsafe, or at best marginal, to do it regularly.

Now I realize you're using large square bales, not large rounds. The weight and the bulk are both issues. Because of the bulk, the weight will be well, well in front of your loader pivot pins, and even in front of the common 500mm forward measurement. You would probably need something that can lift at least 2500lbs at 500mm forward, and you would be much better off and safer having a margin for error in both weight and positioning, with a rating more like 3000lbs at 500mm forward. No CUT has this high a rating, and in fact that puts you into the upper end of the utility class tractors. So in farm tractors you're probably looking at a 70-100hp tractor to safely operate a loader with the power you need.

Now, if you're planning to run a 15' mower or do serious tillage, such a size tractor would be great. But if moving the bales is the main big task, you would likely be better off with one of the construction loaders noted above.

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #4  
Depending on yours needs...it is NOT cost effective to own a large tractor for a single functional task...unless you can increase your functional list of needs, you should look at smaller bales...

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #5  
My 50HP 5005 Mahindra has trouble w/ my 5x6 round bales. W/ Bermuda grass in them they average around 1200 to 1400 right off the meadow. Low and slow it does OK, but putting the top row on my GN trailer and getting them off involves a bit of pucker, especially if I am not on perfectly level ground. For a bale the size you are talking about you will need a larger tractor. Handling these bales on the ground is one thing, handling them up in the air is another matter. Its not just weight, but balance and height capabilities. My Mahindra is just almost at full height getting to the top row on my GN. A 48' float behind a semi is considerably higher. When Dad and I hauled a couple loads of 4x4x8 alfalfa from CO to TX, we were loaded and unloaded by something in the near 100HP range. It wasn't all about power, but reach as well.

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #6  
I've unloaded a number of trailers with bales of that size with my New Holland TN75D with no problems. Rear tires loaded and 2000lb backhoe. I've also unloaded a few bales that size with my Ford 2120 (TC55 size) with loaded rears and a 1000 lb rear counterweight. It did it but not anywhere as easy as the TN. When I dropped a front tire in about a 4 inch hole I thought I would loose it over the nose. A 2000 ln bale at that height and reach is quite a ways out. You don't realize what an akward load it is until you try to pick them off a trailer.

Andy

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #7  
i would recommend some forks if you plan to get 1ton squares or a grapple or spear for doing round bales. i would say a skid steer,pay loader, or back hoe is best for this task as they have the lift cap plus dual use. if you just had a big tractor and only used it for this one task , to me thats not cost effective. at least the skid steer or backhoe has many other uses around the farm.

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #8  
I have a 85 hp Ford 7600 with loader and I wouldn't want to try unloading 2000 lb bales with it. 5x5.5 coastal bales max it out and they weigh under 1500 lbs. You're going to need plenty of beef to unload and handle 2000 lb bales!! The top row of bales on the truck will stretch a loader to its limits.

/ 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #9  
farmerjim said:
i would recommend some forks if you plan to get 1ton squares or a grapple or spear for doing round bales.

Getting the right tool for the job will increase your efficiency. A good spear will save you 20-30 minutes per load. We don't recommend handling bales with forks. :( Especially with a non-leveling loader. If this is your main task - a high-lift self-leveling loader with bale spear is ideal for what you are trying to do.

This new bale spear is hinged at the base allowing the top frame to hold the bale in place when you back out. It is very economical and doesn't require any additional hydraulics to make it function. It works off the bucket tilt of your loader. Commercial hay users found it saved at least 30 minutes per load. Depending on how often you are unloading trucks, it might be the right tool for the job.

I'd say an older used tractor in good condition w/low hours in that 60-80 HP range sounds about right, then add a high lift loader and spear.

Examples:
JD 990 mounts with compact loader with 2880# lift capacity at full height of 11'.
IH 1086 mounts HD loader with 4000# lift capacity at full height of 12'6".
Ford 4000 - mounts HD loader with 3200# lift capacity at full height of 12'.

Attachments

• StackSaver-Square-PushOFF.jpg
    StackSaver-Square-PushOFF.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:
   / 1 Ton Bales: unloading 18 wheeler #10  
Well I know I have seen a forklift that mounts to your 3point hitch where your capacity for lift is much greater. It will also use a mast that uses vertical lift in the piston. What you will have is a 4 wheel drive forklift on the rear and still have your loader on the front and keep your AG tractor ability. I would use a heavier compact like an L series rather than a B series type tractor depending on what brand your looking at. This will give you lift capacity and stable counter balance in around the size tractor your looking at. With a 2 stage mast you will also get a greater lift hight than you will from any loader reach as well.

Forklift, Forklifts for sale, Versitile 3 point tractor forklift attachment

3 Point Hitch Fork Lift Attachment 15FT Reach NO RES. - (eBay item 150185425836 end time Nov-26-07 12:15:12 PST)

This is one that looks like you can make with any forklift mast if you have the skill. I work with fork lifts all the time so this is the way I would go

Last edited: