Going Green

/ Going Green #1  

helobubba

I've finally found what I think to be a great deal but I wanted to run it by the forum just to make sure. John Deere 770 24 hp 4x4 with john deere loader, finish mower, and scraper blade. The tractor has been kept inside and has only 170 hrs on it. The price is 12,000 for the whole package. I'm going to make the deal sometime next week. Feel free to post feedback and let me know if you think the deal is as good as I think it is. If not, let me know so I don't make a 12k mistake.

/ Going Green #2  
Is it gear or HST?

If gear, make sure it has a dual stage clutch.
I've a 1990 670 which is a nice machine for my usage, BUT (always a but....), the one thing I wish I'd had was the dual stage instead of the single stage I have (dual stage...push the clutch ½ down, the tractor stops but PTO continues...to stop the PTO too, you must fully depress the clutch. Single stage clutch stops both tractor and PTO when you depress it).

Otherwise, the 670 is almost identical to the 770 with 4 less PTO Horse Power.

I think you'll really like the 770...if it's as tough as the 670, you'll have a real worker on your hands.

As far as price..my machine is 1990 and cost me 8500 bucks. 600 Hours and extremely clean, also included a Befco 5' finishing mower which was less then a year old. You don't mention the year of the tractor you're buying...reckon it'll be an early 90's.

There ya go... Good Luck!

/ Going Green #3  
I have been shopping for a used John Deere for about nine months now. I have seen (and missed out on) the occasional 'great deal'. The machine your described (while not a steal) seems to be the going rate. The high resale of John Deeres is a double edge sword. I love it that my old Deere commands a high trade-in value. But, I hate the prices I'm looking at to buy another used one.
Jerry

/ Going Green #4  
Just checked my product literature. I have a 1996 brochure on the 70 series. It says that 670 and 770 2wd have a single stage clutch. 670 and 770 4X4 have a dual stage clutch. Again, this information is from a 1996 brochure, your model year may be different. I believe that John Deere made these machines from 1989 to 1998, so the year your machine was built may determine if it has a dual stage clutch or not.

Also, the 770 3pt hitch is rated to pick up 815 lbs. Some implements may exceed this capacity. Make sure that this is right for you.

jerry

/ Going Green #5  
The high resale of compacts is definitely not exclusive to JD. The resale value of all compacts in my area is high. By far, not even close in terms of quantity are Kubota, JD and then New Holland in that order in terms of numbers of units sold. The other day I saw a brand new Nortrac from Northern Tool. I suppose that there is a reason for everything, but It looks so skinny to me. I bet though that even it will have a decent resale to someone who knows little about tractors. My reason though for buying a tractor has absolutely nothing to do with resale. I don't care about resale. I've always thought that folks who are concerned with resale will also worry about every nick, scratch and dent that their tractor gets knowing resale value will go down as each wound is inflicted. Me, I use the heck out of my tractor, try to keep it in good shape, occasionally clean it and figure that if I ever have to sell it I will have gotten my moneys worth as well as the enjoyment of having it do so much of the back breaking work I got it for. Rat...

/ Going Green #6  
SEEMS LIKE A DECENT DEAL! u have to determine that!the price is always subjective to the area of the country u are in. if it is what u like and YOU think it is a good deal, then go for it.

/ Going Green
Thanks for the advice. I guess I will look around a little more.