Newbie needs a Tractor

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #1  

Trace33

Tractor
Kioti CK30 HST
OK, let's see, gonna try to be specific in stating my needs. Own 13 wooded acres with a small house, small barn (needs repair) and a small woodshop (falling down).

I need a machine that can pull a few 20 - 30 inch, 16 ft long white pine to a central spot. Also have a half acre pond that is silting over and a dam that needs repair. Will build a deck and expand wood shop so digging some holes for concrete footings a plus. Pushing some snow aside would speed things up as well.

Appreciate any suggestions, tips. Would love to find something used since money is becoming a pressing issue. I'm a city slicker spending more and more time in the country.

Thanks

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #2  
Trace33:

Welcome to TBN :D! Do you have other anticipated tasks like mowing, rotary cutting, trail making, tilling, moving snow, etc.? A more complete description of your property's terrain would also be helpful. Be advised that there is no perfect tractor, most of your major brand tractors in the same price range are pretty similar. Do not get caught up on HP or Sales and Marketing Driven fancy brochure data comparisons of the competition's "equivalent" models with "loaded" comparisons comparing different criteria. What is probably most important is tractor and dealer "feel". Try as many tractors and dealerships as you can and keep the posts coming. Jay

/ Newbie needs a Tractor
jbrumberg said:
Trace33:

Welcome to TBN :D! Do you have other anticipated tasks like mowing, rotary cutting, trail making, tilling, moving snow, etc.? A more complete description of your property's terrain would also be helpful. Be advised that there is no perfect tractor, most of your major brand tractors in the same price range are pretty similar. Do not get caught up on HP or Sales and Marketing Driven fancy brochure data comparisons of the competition's "equivalent" models with "loaded" comparisons comparing different criteria. What is probably most important is tractor and dealer "feel". Try as many tractors and dealerships as you can and keep the posts coming. Jay

Thanks for the welcome. There will be no mowing or cutting, trailmaking, or tilling, yes on the moving snow though I do have a 12HP blower for that. Terrain is fairly flat though rocky in some spots - might want to move some of that rock (small boulders, 2-3ft). I have been moving smaller logs from the woods with a 23hp Honda 4x4 ATV. There's enough power but no traction, I just spin rubber and mud. Once I get rolling I seem to do alright. But these white pines create a canyon and I only get sun from 10 to 2 so they gotta go. I want to pull them to a central spot where a neighbor can saw some planks with his portable mill. My septic is going so a shovel would save me money, etc

There are 3 dealers, New Holland, Kioti, and Kubota within 25 miles so that's where I'm hoping to start but there's a whole new language to learn. Take for example what you wrote --

NH TC29DA with 14LA and HD QA 60" bucket, weighted R-1's, FOPS, CCM M-160 (58") Tiller, Tebben MD 60" Rotary Cutter, Woods LR 108 (96") Landscape Rake, FEL cutting edge and tooth bar, Woods GB60 (60") Box Blade

Is there a glossary to decipher what you suggested?

Thanks

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #4  
Trace33 said:
Is there a glossary to decipher what you suggested?

Thanks

Welcome to the forums! What is at the bottom of Jay's post is just his tag line... a signature. That is his setup and not what he was suggesting to you. I'll let the guys who are more familiar with what your needs are recommend what you need.... just wanted to say "Hi" and let you know you've come to the right place for answers.

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #5  
For your tasks, weight would be paramount to gain as much traction as possible. There is quite a wide span when it comes to tractor weight for any given horsepower. The heaviest ones, I think, are Kioti and Mahindra. Get Ag tires, filled with fluid, for the best traction, and definitely 4WD. Backhoe's are great, and what you need for digging your septic. But, they're expensive. Might consider renting or hiring out for backhoe work, if on a tight budget. It doesn't sound like you need a lot of horsepower, but you do need good hydraulics. All major and many second tier machines are quite good. A good or bad dealer really makes all the difference. If buying new, pick a dealer, not a brand. If buying used, pick the best machine you can afford.

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #7  
Hi Trace33,

It might be of some help if you can tell us where you are from.....
"Pushing some snow aside would speed things up as well. "Might mean something different from some one from South Carolina than it might mean to me in Maine!

"I need a machine that can pull a few 20 - 30 inch, 16 ft long white pine to a central spot. " Is this flat land or hills???

The more details you can provide will help with our responses.....

It sounds like my tractor might work ... but then again it might not!!! There are so many variables at work here.

/ Newbie needs a Tractor
GaryE said:
Hi Trace33,

It might be of some help if you can tell us where you are from.....
"Pushing some snow aside would speed things up as well. "Might mean something different from some one from South Carolina than it might mean to me in Maine!

"I need a machine that can pull a few 20 - 30 inch, 16 ft long white pine to a central spot. " Is this flat land or hills???

I live in southeast NY in the foothills of the Catskills. Snow is the least of my problems. As I mentioned before I do have a snow blower that's kinda fun to use. It's not anywhere near the primary use for this tractor.

The ground is level but rocky in places so I have already decided on 4 wheel drive. I definitely need a FEL, most certainly want a BH. If I rented or hired out every time I needed some digging I could buy 5 tractors. I am a consummate do-it-yourselfer. Not sure if a PTO is necessary, is it? The white pines sort of circle what little back yard I have so I don't need to pull that far.

I need to haul some dirt, move some rocks, pull a tree trunk or two and dig a few ditches. Time's not important, I got 20 years, hopefully more and I want to complain less about my back.

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #9  
Trace,
for what you're wanting to do I'd suggest 30-40 HP with backhoe.
I don't have a Kioti, but there are plenty of folks on the Kioti forum here who can give you an idea of what size you would need to do all you want at a price enough lower than a comparable sized NH or Kubota to almost pay for the back hoe - if $$ are a consideration.
You may also want to cruise the NH & Kubota forums to see what they have to say about the real world capabilities of their respective machines as comparison.

I bought my tractor as a "last year's demo model" and saved about $4k, which is also right in the range "gently used" machines can be found.

CAT1 PTO is going to be standard on anything in this size range - I suspect what you really wanted to say was "hydraulic remotes" which is where a backhoe would get it's power. (unless it's got it's own self contained hydraulic system) They also make PTO powered log splitters, in case that would come in handy.

At a minimum what you will probably want to look at is 4 wheel drive (MFWD), shuttle shift (lets you shift from forwards to reverse on the column without changing any other gears -- GOOD thing for loader work!) or Hydrostat ("auto" tranny for tractors - 1 pedal for forward or reverse, but you lose some PTO HP - a lot of guys really like these, I'm not one of them) and a box blade 6"-12" wider than your back tires.
You will also want a couple of grade 70 "trucker" chains 14'-25' long, a tool box to mount to the back of the tractor (There's usually a flat spot behind the seat and above the PTO), and a handful of tools to put in it. (a couple pry bars, 2-3 pound hammer, couple of crescent wrenches, etc...)

Good luck and happy shopping!

/ Newbie needs a Tractor #10  
While you could look here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/buying-pricing-comparisons/110831-need-advice-have-5-acres.html

Another new tractor looker.. however.. his needs, and the thread signifacntly delve away from what yuor needs may be.

With that size wooded lot.. sounds like anything from SCUT up to small CUT.. IE.. 12-25hp.. perhaps 4wd to help pulling logs.. or in the winter.. loader or not, your choice.

check your dealers.. you may find a good deal on a low hour return... trade/ etc.. If yuo are mechanically inclined enough to handle a used unit.. you could also consider a 2nd or 3rd brand.. like a chinese tractor... can get their scut/small cut's for pretty cheap new... just got to babysit them thru the infant mortality stage ...

Soundguy

Trace33 said:
OK, let's see, gonna try to be specific in stating my needs. Own 13 wooded acres with a small house, small barn (needs repair) and a small woodshop (falling down).

I need a machine that can pull a few 20 - 30 inch, 16 ft long white pine to a central spot. Also have a half acre pond that is silting over and a dam that needs repair. Will build a deck and expand wood shop so digging some holes for concrete footings a plus. Pushing some snow aside would speed things up as well.

Appreciate any suggestions, tips. Would love to find something used since money is becoming a pressing issue. I'm a city slicker spending more and more time in the country.

Thanks