Tractor Choice Options?

/ Tractor Choice Options? #11  
I've done everything you plan to do on 90 acres with a ford 8N for many years I now also have a Kioti DK35 (35 HP). I don't know how I got things done in the past without a FEL, as far as I'm concerned it is a must for any operation.

/ Tractor Choice Options? #12  
Flusher - I suspect you have a better growing season than I do.
I have my brome cut and baled in June or July depending on weather and it's barely ankle deep by the time winter hits - so no need to mow the hayfield. I suspect N Texas is going to be very similar, so I doubt he's going to need to mow enough to need that kind of equipment.
Weed spraying and fertilizing is also best done by a professional, unless he wants the excuse to buy an ATV - and a 15 or 30 gallon sprayer on the ATV would do the trick there. (at least is does for my 10.5 acres of hay)

/ Tractor Choice Options? #13  
Just buy an old, or an antique tractor in good condition. "Outdoor" with it will be much better, just like very old days. Also, you will put your hands in grease oil as it will need your hand help from time to time. (new tractors are just like new streets. old tractors remind you of dusty streets of old days. Isn't this better "outdoor.")

/ Tractor Choice Options? #14  
Mahindra is a good tractor as far as I can tell from all of my research and the people on these forums. I didn't go that way because I found a good JD dealer that I could work with. But regardless of the tractor brand that you decide on I would recommend that you buy at least a utility size tractor. Not that a CUT would not do the tasks required but most utility tractors are simple tractors that will do all of the basic chores. They are well built and easy to maintain. If you are going to plant a small garden I would recommend a roto-tiller to maintain the dirt.

/ Tractor Choice Options? #15  
nomad said:
Just buy an old, or an antique tractor in good condition. "Outdoor" with it will be much better, just like very old days. Also, you will put your hands in grease oil as it will need your hand help from time to time. (new tractors are just like new streets. old tractors remind you of dusty streets of old days. Isn't this better "outdoor.")

I think that depends on what you want. I personally have limited time for my outdoor activities. When I was buying I had no intention of spending my free time under a tractor when I needed/wanted to be mowing, clearing food plots, etc.

I'm all for the economy of a good used tractor. They are the best bang for the buck. But unless you're willing to spend your free weekend wrenching from time to time I'd go with new or excellent condition used, which costs nearly as much as new.

The only specific recommendation I can make with any authority is what I've got. I wanted the most HP I could get for the money in a basic, reputable tractor. That led me to the Kubota L4400. I think it is still king of the economic, high HP compact utility tractor. It has 45 hp, 4wd, loader for less than $20k (2 years ago). It has met all my needs (which have been demanding) with no problems. It is an axtremely basic, gear drive tractor and the hydraulics are okay but not great (although they spec out a little better than the comparable JD.) And its a Kubota!