Buy now or wait??

/ Buy now or wait?? #1  

Anonymous Poster

I would really like to buy a 'new' tractor. A TC33D or an L3010 HST. After much reflection with myself and my wife I have decided that I just can't afford the $18,500 cost for the machine with loader. What I can afford is about $12,000. Should I buy something used that will do the jobs I want to do, or should I wait a year or two more untill I can afford what I really want? I am worried that if I but less than what I want I will regret it and end up taking a loss when I trade up to the new one. Any thoughts???

/ Buy now or wait?? #2  
YOU have not filled out your profile so i don't know if u already have a trator to use? i will assume u do not.u already stated that at this point in time u cannot justify the cost of what u want, so why don't u look for a good used machine, if u find one that suits your requirments then buy it, and trade up when u feel better equiped to take on the extra cost.if u get a good used machine at a fair price u will not take a beating if and when u trade up! i MHO <font color=red> A USED TRACTOR IS BETTER THAN NO TRACTOR</font color=red> good luck

/ Buy now or wait?? #3  
Usually I agree with Frank, but in this case... Way back in the dark ages of my personal tractorless state, I faced the same choice as you now face. In fact, I could afford the same $12,000 you can. I wound up settling for a used B1750 hydro. While it was a phenomenal mowing machine, it wasn't equal to any of the other tasks I needed in a tractor. This seems to be a pattern with me; at least half the tools in my shop were sold at a loss when they proved less than what I needed. I'm a classic sucker for the buy small and trade up syndrome. I now drive an L3010 and love it!

The one bright spot in all this was the little B-series Kubota I originally bought held its value very well. After two years and 500 hours, I sold it for the same price I paid for it. If you're a savvy shopper and can negotiate a good deal on a used tractor, stepping up might be a future option for you too.

Pete

/ Buy now or wait?? #4  
I vote for seat time. I got an affordable used Yanmar and it has been doing a ton of work ever since. I would have liked a new JD but by the time the dealer would have been through with me it would have been more than my truck. If you shop carefully for a good used machine you may very well be able to use it for a while and sell it for what you paid for it. I have even heard of a few wheeler-dealers who make money on tractors. I think tractors are different than cars. They hold their valve better. It is partly that they last so long. I can imagine a good tractor lasting your lifetime. There may be more demand than supply too. Don't forget the implements. A tractor without implements isn't much more than a gocart.

Chris

/ Buy now or wait?? #5  
Here's what I did. Last year I bought a house and one very steep driveway that needs constant upkeep. I hired someone to come and whip it into shape. I watched him /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gifat work for a couple of hours, he did a good job and it cost me $75. Not fun watching. I figured that I could this anytime that it needed it or when I wanted to if I had a tractor. So,/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I found an individual who had a 2360 Long for $6500. I bought it for $5000. There is only so much fun running up and down a driveway pulling a scrape blade. A couple of weeks later I ran across a MF 220 with a fel. The guy wanted $4,500 for it. I gave him $2,500./w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif. Now pulling the gravel back up my driveway is quite a chore due to the steepness. I figured that I need a 4x4 tractor./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif. Today I had a 2000 Kioti LK 3054 4x4 with fel delivered. It was advertised for $11,400. I gave them $10,000 for it. Now I have three tractors, one steep driveway and a lot of fun.. Good luck. Go out and get a good used tractor or you will be missing a year or tow of fun.
Bill

Attachments

• 46-123355-3Parked.JPG
    46-123355-3Parked.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 120
   / Buy now or wait?? #6  
Start searching for what you want in used condition now, you have a couple of years to find either a good deal on a used tractor in the size range you need or by then you will have the extra to buy what you need new.

There are some very good experienced tractors out there. Unless you want HST take a look at the L-series Kubota's they are not as fancy and you have to shift yourself but you can save a couple of thousand.

Randy

/ Buy now or wait?? #7  
One of the great things about tractors is that the hold their value very well. I think if you are very careful and informed about buying a used tractor you could use it for a while and then get your money back on trade in or sale. This way you could have the best of both worlds. Good luck /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Buy now or wait?? #8  
My wife and I run a part time commercial mowing business. We bought a 1986 JD 1050, and ran it 6 days a week last summer. Paid $5500 for it. Runs great, excellent machine. Last fall, we bought a 1995 JD 955/fel for $12,000. While I have not used it that much since purchasing it, it seems to be a great machine, also. Both tractors will run 5 days a week this summer. My point is there is a lot of really good used iron out there. While I can afford to buy new,I don't because of the high cost. I can spend less, and still get the job done, which leaves more profit for us!! Look at your needs for the tractor, then look at your wants in a tractor. When you and your wife determine where those two lines cross, then start looking at what the dealers have available that match or come close. I know you can find a suitable tractor out there.

Paul

/ Buy now or wait?? #9  
I had the same problem when I first started. I bought a used JD 755 for 10K (585hrs) and 600hrs later traded up to a 855. a year later got my new 4300. I now have a 4400 with BH and all the toys. after all the trading I did I never lost much money once you deduct the hrs they ran. So don't beafraid of used and slowly build up in time, buy the time you can get into a new tractor you will have most of your attachments.
DDT

/ Buy now or wait?? #10  
If you just gotta have HST, then a used "big 3" makes sense. They definitely make nice machines.

However, if you would rather have "new", there are several brands out there in the shuttle-shift category where you can get a brand-new 30 HP 4x4 tractor with attachments for under your $12K price. (the loader will add some $ though)

I wound up buying a Mahindra myself, but I looked seriously at Kioti, Century, and Branson. (Of course, there are other brands out there too.) I was pretty impressed with all of them. Each had their own +'s & -'s, but I think I would have been happy with any of them.