Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #1  

davitk

Platinum Member
On a low hour, late model machine, what do bumps and scratches do to the resale value of a tractor? (bucket bent on sides, cutting edge, top lip, numerous scratches followed up by the inevitable rust spots and faded paint all over. Probably never been washed, a little TLC would do wonders.) Assuming everything checks out mechanically.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #2  
A bent bucket is not a cosmetic problem. I'd find out how it happened.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #3  
The expression " Beaten Like A Rented Mule " comes to mind. There are equipment rental companies around that update their fleet regularly. Their tractors always look like you are describing. Me personally, for the same money, i'd much rather buy a tractor that has twice the hours, but was in great condition with no signs of abuse / neglect.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #4  
Perception is often greater than reality. If it looks rough, many people will assume it IS rough. Over the years I've bought and sold dozens of used tractors. I've ran across some real bargains at auctions and private sales because of a dirty, oily tractor with a ripped seat, scratched paint, and little things like broken lights, ect. The fundamentals were in good shape. A few small details and they were back to their full value. That should be an indication to you what "poor cosmetic appearance" does to the sale of a tractor. A few hours of cleaning and a can of touch-up paint can be worth hundreds, even thousands when it's time to drop the gavel.

Then there's "normal" wear and tear on a tractor vs. a few scratches on someones "toy". "abuse and neglect" is relative to the potential buyers vision of what a used tractor is all about.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #5  
davitk said:
On a low hour, late model machine, what do bumps and scratches do to the resale value of a tractor? (bucket bent on sides, cutting edge, top lip, numerous scratches followed up by the inevitable rust spots and faded paint all over. Probably never been washed, a little TLC would do wonders.) Assuming everything checks out mechanically.

IMO, it indicates a philosophy of ownership. "run hard and put away wet" comes to mind. Tell the seller you think the machine was not properly cared for and offer him less for it.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #6  
As farm has said.. look the tractor over well.. In most cases cosmetic damage does hurt resale, whether the tractor is worn out or strong...

I've also found some real ugly bargains that were able to be fixed up with only a few hundred dolalrs on body work and some weekends sweating.. net result was 1000's$ in savings.. etc.. The same can be true though.. it's just as easy to find a worn out ugly tractor.. and a good looking tractor that is shot due to the way the owner used it.

A 'new' employee can ruin a clutch in about 30 minutes of work if he thinks it can be used as a speed control!

soundguy

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #7  
Depends on who is trying to sell it. Many times if it is a dealer probably be high dollar.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #8  
Every used piece we take in trade is going to be new to someone! So the better it looks, the better it sells anyway you look at it. To have a bent bucket could very well mean abuse. To have a ripped bucket means someone has been ramming something! They can't rip a bucket with out a lot of force.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #9  
It is alot easier to sell a good looking tractor that is high hour and possibly wore out than it is to sell a tractor that is in good mechanical condition, but looks rough.

/ Cosmetic Condition and Resale Value #10  
One of the reasons I try to keep my tractor looking nice is for resale value. (That's one reason, the other reason is that I like for my tractor to look nice.)

As a first time tractor buyer who did not really know how to assess the real functional condition of a tractor, a rough appearance tended to put me off. Granted, that's a bias based in ignorance but the money of an ignorant buyer is worth the same as a seasoned buyer.