Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

Tractor
    MF 220 - Long 2360- Kioti 3054

Default Re: Best Mountain Tractor?

wasabi
    I have been reading these post and had to [img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]. I'm not so sure that these guys know about the landscape around Cashiers. They are talking about mowing hills like there isn't anything to it. They would be surprised at just the driveways that are over 25% grade around here.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif[/img] Mine is between 30 &amp; 35%. I'm not too far from your place. Close to Cherokee. While surfing, I found just what you need. Check it out at, <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mutualdevelopment.tripod.com/>http://mutualdevelopment.tripod.com/</A> . or check out Blueridge Equipment in Franklin, NC hwy 64 for that Kioti. Todd will treat you right.
    Bill

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

The Power Trac 1845 is rated to 45 degree slope. If I'm not mistaken that's for every foot forward one foot up. That's steep.

Tractor
    PT2445 and PT1850

Moss man, I checked out the trac last evening...very impressive, but to go for the one that can handle decent weight in the FEL, I'd have to belly up to the bar for nearly 30K....twice what I am willing to go, but you've got me drooling over that fine machine. Maybe the wife will pay half.

The unit you sent me a link for IS a manly beast...also worth considering...I'm surprised you don't add it to your fleet. How 'bout you buy that, I'll give you 10,001 for the Kioti you just bought and we can occasionally trade off when needed.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II

ByuBill
    For my Power Trac 1845, with dual tires, 25% to 35% mowing, side hill cutting even, is a piece of cake. It will handle to 40 degrees (Is that really the 83% my calculator says it is?)
    That being said with great confidence, of course, there is no way I would be on that kind of a hill with my 1845 or any other machine. Just for general info, I'd like to hear from some of the crawler guys. I've never seen a crawler go over, but I've been told that they are a lot more prone to rollover than they look. I do know of one death near my place, where a crawler went over doing a roadside slope.
    For mowing slopes, Power Trac, DewEze and Kutquik actually market the capability. Aebi and some other European orchard tractors do, as well. I may be wrong, but I think the Power Trac 1850 advertizes the steepest slope capability.

Tractor
    John Deere 4520 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV, Z920A Zero Turn Mower and assorted implements

Is that really the 83% my calculator says it is?)

40 is a 44% grade (i.e. 40 / 90 =.44444 or rounded to 44%)

Tractor

<font color=blue>MossRoad,</font color=blue>
    No offence intended there. I agree that the Power Trac is a great little machine. From reading your post, I can tell that you really love yours[img]/w3tcompact/icons/love.gif[/img]. However, until I see one running up one of these 1000ft 45% angle hills with rocks, limbs, and groundhog holes in its path I'll not believe it. Maybe on a golf course and a small hill. Again, sorry if I offended you.
    Bill

Tractor
    Power Trac PT1845, John Deere 2240, John Deere 950, John Deere 755, Jacobsen Turf Cat II

Roy:
    Yours is the first time I've seen the percent grade done by a comparison of the number of degrees to 90. May be correct, but I think more commonly it is calculated as the rise divided by the run (tangent) expressed in percent.
    A quick search got me one link <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.howstuffworks.com/question380.htm>Percent Grade</A>
    Do you know any other references?

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

No offense taken at all. I enjoy these conversations.

One thing to note:

Isn't the % grade = rise/distance X 100

So a 100% grade = 1 foot up for every 1 foot forward

So a 100% grade = a 45 degree hill

So a 45% grade = a 22.5 degree hill.

Therefore I think Charlie is correct when he says 83% grade on a 40 degree slope.

Is this correct?

Tractor
    PT2445 and PT1850

Thought I would weigh in on the equation since I technically started this hilly talk....If you take the angle of dangle times the pucker factor, divided by the rush of adrenaline, do you still come up with 83%?

Tractor

<font color=blue>Wasabi,
    Thanks for the offer but I think that I will pass. The only place that I have to play on a tractor here is on the driveway. Even a that crawler wouldn't do any good. [img]/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Besides, I have way too many toys already. That's is exactly what they are, toys. I guess that we are a little closer than thought. I am about halfway between Dilsboro and Cherokee, just off hwy 74.
    Bill

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast