NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #1  

KevinPeter

Hi all,

I have whittled down my tractor selection to a couple and was hoping you folks could help me out.

I live on 25 acres in NC at the end of a 1 mile dirt road - my part of the road is the last quarter mile which I need to maintain.

I will be bush hogging about 20 acres of the land (I have hired that out up til now). The property is a long gentle slope and the downhill part of the field gets kind of wet when it rains (if this drought ever ends). 5 or so acres is wooded and I probably won't touch that.

I will be mowing the yard around my house with a riding lawnmower.

Then also I am thinking that I might want to plow/disk/plant some corn but that would be sometime down the road. I might also want to clean up the weeds and plant grass and make hay. Haven't really decided what the future use of the land will be but would like to keep my options open.

Then I would use the tractor for general "around the property" tasks.

I have visited dealers around here trying to decide on a tractor in the 35 - 40 hp range. I have looked at Kubota, Deere, Challenger, and Mahindra. I saw two slightly used machines that have caught my eye.

These are the ones: New Holland TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B. Both of these tractors are being sold by the dealers but are not new.

The NH is a lease return. It looks pristine. According to the dealer, it is a return from a nursery where they used it to pull carts of plants around. They never used it in the fields.

The Challenger is a rental that they would sell.

Both machines have less than 100 hours. Both are selling for just over $20k with a front end loader. Both also have the remaining warranty period of about 1.5 years left on them.

Any advice about these (or others I haven't considered) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #2  
At the same price, the decision for me is simple, the NH. Just make sure the dealer has installed the kit that eliminates the 90 degree hoses that connect to the hyd oil cooler. I was under the impression these hoses were only on the Class II Boomers, but a recent thread indicates they're on the Class IIIs.

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #3  
Which dealer seemed the most responsive to your questions? Have you heard any feedback from anyone else locally good or bad about either dealer? Who you would be dealing with after the sale if there are any problems or for normal service issues should be as large a deciding factor as the machines themselves. Either one should be a good machine and a 100 hrs isn't much use.
Run them around the lots and see how they feel to you personally also. They are just like cars in that respect, what feels great to one person the next guy might hate.

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #4  
I'm with Mike on this one. You write that both are the same price. One with a known history and the other a rental. Most rentals are abused at some time in their life by renters who don't understand equipment. Forcing a machine to do something it was not designed to do (or is too small to do) can cause damage to occur that might not show up for some time.

If I were buying it would be the NH hands down.

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #5  
Since you will be cutting your lawn with something else and may be working ground with the tractor some day then one thing is certain. Do what ever you can with which ever one you choose (they are both OK), to make sure it has R1 tires, NOT R4's, when you take delivery. R4's are one step up from useless on a plow. I don't wish to hurt anyone's feelings concerning tires or brands, but to get beyond OK, in my opinion, you would have to go green or orange.

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #6  
KevinPeter said:
Hi all,

I have whittled down my tractor selection to a couple and was hoping you folks could help me out.

I live on 25 acres in NC at the end of a 1 mile dirt road - my part of the road is the last quarter mile which I need to maintain.

I will be bush hogging about 20 acres of the land (I have hired that out up til now). The property is a long gentle slope and the downhill part of the field gets kind of wet when it rains (if this drought ever ends). 5 or so acres is wooded and I probably won't touch that.

I will be mowing the yard around my house with a riding lawnmower.

Then also I am thinking that I might want to plow/disk/plant some corn but that would be sometime down the road. I might also want to clean up the weeds and plant grass and make hay. Haven't really decided what the future use of the land will be but would like to keep my options open.

Then I would use the tractor for general "around the property" tasks.

I have visited dealers around here trying to decide on a tractor in the 35 - 40 hp range. I have looked at Kubota, Deere, Challenger, and Mahindra. I saw two slightly used machines that have caught my eye.

These are the ones: New Holland TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B. Both of these tractors are being sold by the dealers but are not new.

The NH is a lease return. It looks pristine. According to the dealer, it is a return from a nursery where they used it to pull carts of plants around. They never used it in the fields.

The Challenger is a rental that they would sell.

Both machines have less than 100 hours. Both are selling for just over $20k with a front end loader. Both also have the remaining warranty period of about 1.5 years left on them.

Any advice about these (or others I haven't considered) would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

How much more are the new tractors that you're comparing to the used tractors?

Reason I ask is because the used ones may have lost more value than you realize and you have less warranty than a new one. Also, if financing is of consideration, you'll get better rates on a new tractor. A new tractor with a 0% financing offer may end up being cheaper than a slightly used one with 9% financing.

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #7  
Gotta go with MIke on this call. The NH. It's a no brainer to me.....:D

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #8  
KevinPeter,

Welcome to TBN !!

Did not realize the Challenger is a Catepillar Manufacture make. I like the all steel construction including hood & fenders. Based upon Catepillars reputation I would think this would be a reliable tractor & well made. Catepillar has been making tractors in the US for over 100 years.

You did not indicate what transmission on the Challenger. If Challenger is also Hydrostatic & based on what you want to use the tractor for eventually (ground engagement work) I would select the NH due to the higher PTO HP available (33 HP). The Challenger losses a whopping 10.5 HP and ends up at 29.5 HP.

Good Luck,

Vic

Last edited:
   / NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #9  
kozak said:
KevinPeter,

Welcome to TBN !!

Did not realize the Challenger is a Catepillar Manufacture make. I like the all steel construction including hood & fenders. Based upon Catepillars reputation I would think this would be a reliable tractor & well made. Catepillar has been making tractors in the US for over 100 years.

You did not indicate what transmission on the Challenger. If Challenger is also Hydrostatic & based on what you want to use the tractor for eventually (ground engagement work) I would select the NH due to the higher PTO HP available (33 HP). The Challenger losses a whopping 10.5 HP and ends up at 29.5 HP.

Good Luck,

Vic
Challenger is manufactured by AGCO, sold through CAT dealerships.

/ NH TC40DA vs. Challenger MT275B #10  
I believe the Challenger is an Iseki from Japan. It's a respected manufacture. They are big in Australia. Bigger ones around 30+ use Isuzu diesels and they have there own motor in the smaller stuff. I own a 22 horse 1986 Bolens G214 with a back hoe and FEL and it's a honey. Recent small MF's are Isekis. Before that White Field Boss's under 50 horses were Isekis. One trick with Iseki's is Rainbow Distributing in Hawaii for parts.

ISEKI

Rainbow Distributors Inc. - Contact Information