Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Member
    Tractor
    Ford 8N, Ford 850

Default Purchase advice

Hi Guys - I am new to this board and I have only been a tractor owner for about a year, but I have got the fever bad. Right now, I have an old Ford 8N and Ford 850 plus my lawn tractor, but I really do want a compact with FEL. My budget will be around $8,000, so I am sure a new one is pretty much out. I would like to have 25-30 HP. My place is 18 acres of woods, flat terrain, in East Texas (little snow). I will be brush hogging along the roads plus a few chores like moving dirt, pushing over saplings; ie. the regular stuff. I do have one moderately steep trail down to the lake that I need to drag some downed brush and wood out of, so stability is important. What would you recommend? I am sentimental about the old 8N and will probably keep her; please no wisecracks![img]/w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif[/img].
    Thanks for your help.

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

Default Re: Purchase advice

I'm sure our esteemed colleague, BIRD, is asking more then $8K...but you might want to talk to him. He's got a Kobuta B2710 for sale. This might be just what you need and want.

Here's the link: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=genbuy&amp;Number=12141 9&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=2&a mp;fpart=>http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&amp;Board=genbuy&amp;Number=12141 9&amp;page=0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=2&a mp;fpart=</A>

Yep, Bird wanted (and got) a little more than that, and the tractor left this morning.[img]/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Tractor
    New Holland TC35D w/ 16LA FEL

Bird,
    Are you going through withdrawel symptoms yet ?
    I hope it wasn't to painful parting with your Pride &amp; Joy. Hopefully the new owner will take good care of it and allow you visitation rights. Maybe if he / she isn't a member already, we will see them join the TBN.

Bird, Best of luck with all your future plans. I hope to see your name here on the TBN for many years to come.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

for the chores and conditions you mention i think u most certainly must stay in the 24 to 30 hp range.no wisecracks about the 8n . when i bouth my b2400 i sold a ford 2n hated to do it but did not have the room to keep a tractor for sentimental reasons, +plus the $3500 i got for it helped to defay the cost of mynew(used tractor) you may want to consider doing the same?keep checking websites for used in your area and the paper also, or just drive around in rural areas , amazing what you will see out for sale.

Rest in Peace
    Tractor
    kubota b2400- R4 tires

8ntx: forgot to mention![img]/w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif[/img] not familar with the geography of TEXAS but on the site where i found my tractor there is a dealer in LUBBOCK(?) that post quite a few tractors.the site is (hope this works) <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ironsolutions.com/>http://www.ironsolutions.com/</A> once u get there click on searsh or used and type in yur desires. .

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    No longer have :-(

8NTX,

I understand wanting to keep the 8N for sentimental reasons, kept my 9N when we bought a TC40D. Haven't even fired it up in the past year. After having almost two years to wean myself I should probably just clean it up and then sell...[img]/w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif[/img]

The 25-30 HP range will be more power then the 8N had but the frame on a unit with that HP will be smaller then the 8N. The smaller frame size will make it more challenging to move dirt, push saplings, etc, but you can it done with a little extra time.

Look to see what brands have good dealer support in your area and stick with those, the big three (NH, kubota, JD) all have good machines. Many here on TBN also have had good experiences with some of the other brands but don't know much about them besides what I read here.

Tractor
    Mahindra 4110

8NTX-
    You might try these sites...

http://www.fastline.com/

Ok, this is blatant advertising...Check out the Jinma import...28HP, 4X4, Loader...about $8500.00 new.

Veteran Member
    Home-1+ acres New Hope, TX / 24 acres-Fannin County
    Tractor
    JD 950

Steve - I am only about 30 miles north of you and have similar needs. I bought a used JD 950, MFWD, PS, FEL, 2000 hrs for $8500 from a small dealer in Wylie. It has 27 hp PTO. I run a 6' rotary cutter and 5 1/2' box blade on it. I have started leveling a pad for a future pole barn. It does everything I need.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast