New or Used

/ New or Used #31  
If you have an Agco dealer near you, the ST22A is supposed to be the same tractor as the GC2300, and may not be as expen$ive. The New Holland TZ series are also SCUTs. Good luck in your shopping, and have fun looking!

/ New or Used #32  
IXLR8 said:
I was doing the new/used debate. I looked for almost a year for a decent used machine. What I found in my area... if it was decent, it was only $2K less than new. For that $2K I would get 0% financing, a warranty and I would know it's history, seemed like a no brainer to go new. Just as I was about to pull the trigger on new, I found a good 1 year old machine, with all the options I wanted already on it, for $6K less than the same thing new... I put a deposit on it and I am presently waiting for financing. :) Sometimes you just need to be in the right place at the right time.

Nice.. post a pic when you get it.

Soundguy

/ New or Used #33  
An old timer once told me to consider starting a "small business" before buying your tractor, like a "landscaping" or "construction" business. Do a few jobs for neighbors, friends etc.

Then you can write off ALL of your expenses (including all the tractor payments and implements) on your tax return.
Seems like the simplest way to basically own a tractor for "free" and maybe even make some money on the side...... ;)

Note: I do not condone any type of fraudulent tax return behavior!

/ New or Used #34  
Know thyself.

And the way to do that is by asking questions here and watching here. You will see all kinds of comments about what is good and what is bad, what works for people and what doesn't work for people.

After getting to 'know myself' here for a couple of years, I figured out (or came to believe) that all of the majors are very well built machines. Quality is consistently high. Life expectancy of the majors is literally thousands of hours and decades of time.

I decided on going used because, basically, I wanted to use the tractor and not worry about the first dent. So I wanted a relatively low hour machine, with the specification I needed of approximately 30-40 hp, 4wd, gst or hst, and a few other things. I was also color-biased going in. Orange was the only color on the table.

So I found a good bargain, had it professionally inspected, and lived happily ever after.

It took a very long time for me to find this Orange marvel. But I'm sitting here finally with a tractor that is performing very satisfactorily.

Good luck.

Know thyself.

/ New or Used #35  
I've sold cars that were on their last leg for me at next to nothing just to get them out of my hair and seen them on the road for years afterward.
john_bud said:
The other thing is some tractors don't like some people. No, wait! I'm serious! I've seen tractors that broke every time they got touched, rod's started knocking, rad leaks, injectors stuck, etc. They get sold (cheap) and the new owner runs them for 15 years with only routine maintenance. Bad karma or something, who knows?

jb

/ New or Used #36  
But if you take the money out of a good paying return you will lose the return on the investment.

Gittyup said:
Another data point:

I bought new; paid cash to get the rebate. Two months later I see the same tractor for sale used, < 100 hours, $4000 less than what I paid. I thought to myself: "Since I didn't need/want the financing, I should have bought used. I could have saved a bundle."

But, this also means that you will have to be able to wait for that "right" deal to come along. Not everyone has that luxury.

/ New or Used
LBrown59 said:
But if you take the money out of a good paying return you will lose the return on the investment.

Fellas,
After much thought and a whole lot of input (I'm extremely grateful" I've decided to buy new. Ordered a MF Scut. My reasons are as follows:

The only other tractor in my life used to read "Sears" across the hood. I know enough to know that I don't know enough. Buying new is safer

By running the numbers I calculated that with favorable financing the dollar difference is 2 to three grand more to buy new. Worth the price

Agco is offering financing that's very attractive. Buying new I can pay on the installment basis. VS Lump sum cash payment for used

Borrowing at a lower rate that I'm getting by letting it sit in the bank

I really want that "New tractor smell"

/ New or Used #38  
In dairy country, that "new tractor smell" lasts about as long as it takes for the paint to burn off the exhaust manifold. :) Enjoy it while you can.

Seriously, I think you made the right move. Post a picture when you get it.
Bob

/ New or Used #39  
75H2 said:
I really want that "New tractor smell"

It goes away quicker on a tractor than a car, especially if you move manure....

Hope you enjoy the new ride - don't forget to post some pictures.

jb

/ New or Used #40  
Here are a couple of deals on used tractors that would be hard to turn down if you were in the market for such.
Just saw these two good deals in my local classifieds.
A* 2005 Kubota BX1500 Private one owner.
Only 144 hours
FEL
MMM
Rear blade
New Brush Hog That's never been used.
Price $8000.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
B* 2006 Kubota BX1850 Dealer
Less than 100 hours.
FEL
MMM
Balance of warranty
Price $7900.
If I wasn't stocked up on BX tractors I'd be tempted to go for the BX1500 and sell my Nice 2003 BX1500.
== L B ==