Landscaping Business...

/ Landscaping Business... #1  

Rowski

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 New Holland TN70DA with 32LC loader, 2000 New Holland 2120 with Curtis cab, 7309 loader
If one were to start a landscaping business from scratch, how much would it cost to get started?

I know this is a very vague question that has a lot of variables. I was thinking in general terms for a one man operation. I'm sure there are different types or grades of landscapers (finish, or just mowing, or flowers, etc.) What would be the proper terms for those types of landscaping. I'm sure there must be a web site that would have some or most of this information. A vague equipment list would be nice too /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif.

/ Landscaping Business... #2  
Hey Derek, Golfgar turned me on to <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.Lawnsite.com>Lawnsite</A> the other day and it is a wealth of information on landscaping and that business. Check it out /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Landscaping Business... #3  
Derek,

<font color=blue>how much would it cost to get started?...A vague equipment list would be nice too</font color=blue>

Assuming you're starting from scratch and you want more than simple lawn cutting jobs, start with $50,000-75,000. You'll need a good 4WD 3/4 ton or 1 ton pickup with trailering package, trailer, good compact tractor like a JD4310 or 4410 fully equipped to do jobs you want to undertake, a couple of good walk behind commercial mowers, string trimmer, brush cutter, leaf blower, assortment of tools and rakes and leaf barrels and the like, and an assortment of insurance policies....at a minimum. There will be other tools and equipment you'll need as your business evolves.

/ Landscaping Business... #4  
That depends....maintenance (mowing, aeration, fert and pesticides, etc.) or install (landscaping, irrigation, etc.).

We've been building slowly toward an installation landscaping business for three years now (this is my third year). Retirement looms ahead and this is the year to go full-time. Contact me privately for numbers and we can talk.

Kevin

/ Landscaping Business... #5  
planter,

You have to register as a member to be contacted through TBN's private e-mail.

/ Landscaping Business... #6  
If he doesn't chime in, send a post to bubenberg. He is in the business, spends time on Lawnsite, and has a collection of tractors, mowers and a Power Trac. He can give you some insights on which equipment is best for each function.

/ Landscaping Business... #7  
if you have very specific questions about starting a landscaping business, i am more than glad to help you. the first step for me, even after many years around the landscaping an turf business, i first gather as much information as pos. in my days it was the library at the college were i worked. today things are alot easier with the internet. take advantage of it, narrow down what exactly you would like to do.
if i understand correctly you are from Vermont!?!
well, your growing season is somewhat different, but a natural would be to add a snowremoval division. firewood to the tourists is good in your area. during my first year in the usa i spent some time in and around burlington.
as others indicated go to the lawnsite.com. do a search on your most burning questions. almost daily someone is asking the very same questions, but very seldom do they include in what part of the country they are from. which is very important to make the proper selection of what equipment you need.
an example is: in most parts of nj you and the flat lands of the mid west a good used toyota 4x4 truck and a small tailer would be sufficient to start a mowing business. come across the delaware into the roling hills of pa and you need a large 4x4 truck otherwise you will kill yourself with a medium size truck.
feel free to send me as many e-mails as you need to get started but take advantage of what other parties already have asked and see what the answers they received from the landscapers at large.
good luck

/ Landscaping Business... #8  
OOPS. Let's try this under the name I use with this forum. Sorry/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. Contact me privately and we'll talk.

Kevin

/ Landscaping Business... #9  
That is quite a wide open question Derek. Start up costs could be as small as $100.00 up to the skys the limit.

First look at what you want to do. Then build a business plan from there. See what sells in your area. What do people want, or need and are willing to pay a fair price for.

Remember that you will need a good insurance policy for starters. So start talking with your agent and see what is required in your area as far as a policy goes. This is where you need to know what direction your heading in. If your custom cutting then insurance is cheap if your looking for backhoe work then the policy goes through the roof. That is if you plan to dig over three feet deep with the backhoe. ---You'll see./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Your better to limit yourself to a few services just starting out so you don't get overloaded. Then branch out from there as needed. Better to do quality work and get good word of mouth.

Any questions just holler and I'll try and help
Gordon

/ Landscaping Business... #10  
gordon
Can you tell me more about . That is if you plan to dig over three feet deep with the backhoe. I just got a hoe and have been getting quotes. they did not comment about 3' or more. Does this mean I could get I could get covered for less? My main reason for getting the hoe is for small trees stumps and water lines. Neither job would put me 3' or more (present plans, you know it can change in time).
DDT