MF1160 vs. NH 45A

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #1  

jgrisetti

I have an option of either purchasing a 1996 Massey 1160 or just bite the bullet and purchase a 2007 NH 45A. Both with front end loaders. The Massey will have a Woods 9.5 foot backhoe and the NH will have a 7.5 foot NH backhoe.

I have the Massey at my farm now and have tried it out. I have to say the visibility is not all that great, expecially trying to see where the bucket goes once it disappears over the hood.

Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks ahead of time.

Joe

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #2  
What's the price, size, FEL capacity and HP difference? What's the hours on the Massey?

One thing about backhoes, reach is probably more important than depth. You don't always go full depth, but you nearly always go full reach.

If the Massey is in good shape, pins and bushings on the hoe are tight and the hours are under 3000, I'd probably think it was a better deal.

What's the new tractor smell worth to you? Remember, it's pretty much gone after the first time you move a pile of manure....

jb

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #3  
If the Massey has a Perkins engine... I would go Massey.

mark

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #4  
mjarrels said:
If the Massey has a Perkins engine... I would go Massey.

mark

I have nothing against the Perkins but I do not see how having a used Perkins is better then a brand new New Holland? I have never heard of anyone having problems with the Ford or New Holland engines. The engines seem like a moot point in this.

The Massey is 11 years old and has a big back hoe on it. Does it have a subframe? Unless the price was just too good to pass up I would go with the newer tractor.

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A
The Massey has 1500 hours on it. I am not sure if it is a Perkins engine. The HP is the same compared to the NH.

The Woods backhoe is a heavier / stronger and has it's own pump running off the PTO. The NH backhoe would be smaller and run off of the tractors hydraulics, but it would be new.

I look at the Massey, which is 11 years old now, but it has rear remotes and a partial enclosure. It is 4 wheel drive and will cost me about $21900. The NH has better visibility and seems more maneuverable. The NH is 29000 without rear remotes or any kind of enclosure. These prices all include the backhoe and subframe installation as well. The tires on the Massey are about 80%, of course the NH would be new.

I thank you for all of your reponses so far. I appreciate any and all input.

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #6  
Can you get any pics of that Massey on TBN ??

My initial thoughts....I would have to agree with Robert, new is pretty hard to beat even if you are paying more for it. At least you know what your getting plus there is the warranty. Do you know what the history of the Massey is ? Was it well maintained ? Will you get at least 3 to 6 months warranty with the Massey or is it a private deal ??

Vic

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #8  
The Massey is made my Iseki, it doesn't have a Perkins.

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #9  
jgrisetti said:
The Massey has 1500 hours on it. I am not sure if it is a Perkins engine. The HP is the same compared to the NH.

The Woods backhoe is a heavier / stronger and has it's own pump running off the PTO. The NH backhoe would be smaller and run off of the tractors hydraulics, but it would be new.

I look at the Massey, which is 11 years old now, but it has rear remotes and a partial enclosure. It is 4 wheel drive and will cost me about $21900. The NH has better visibility and seems more maneuverable. The NH is 29000 without rear remotes or any kind of enclosure. These prices all include the backhoe and subframe installation as well. The tires on the Massey are about 80%, of course the NH would be new.

I thank you for all of your reponses so far. I appreciate any and all input.

For the price difference I would go with the new tractor. 1500 hours, 11 years old, most likely no warranty, well, that sounds like it is a $15-$17k tractor depending on condition and such.

Good luck with your tractor quest:)

/ MF1160 vs. NH 45A #10  
I agree, the price difference is just not enough for 1500 hours.

Andy