Tractor purchasing advice

/ Tractor purchasing advice #11  
I also prefer the older ones.. in the ford/nh range I like the boxy thousand series with the 8spds.

the trans have poor speed ranges IMHO.. but are virtually bulletproof. hyd pump capacity varies by model.. from anemic to adequate.. but otherwise good machines. i love mowing on my 5000 and 7610s. Mowed with a 4630 with 8spd the other day.. felt nearly as good as my 5000 except it was closer to the dust!

soundguy

Farmwithjunk said:
I have a 6430 Deere that's used primarily to pull a 15' batwing used in a mowing business I own. More than adaquate for the chore. (95pto hp) I don't normally advocate the "new breed" of tractors. I'm more inclined to like the older ones fron the mid 80's on back. But this Deere is something to behold. Easy on fuel, great power, very reliable. We logged over 1400 hours in one year with NO mechanical issues. When the weather forced us, it ran 2 shifts a day, 7 days a week.

/ Tractor purchasing advice #12  
I traded in my JD4430 for a JD5603 and I can say that I am very happy. I pull a 10' rotary mower and I have no problems. I have not baled with it so I can not comment there. I did look at Kubota but I felt the JD cab was roomier and quietier than the Kubota. I love the power reserver. Another thing I noticed was the weight difference, the JD is about 1500lbs heavier and you could feel that when running the two different machines. I bought my 5603 for 37k that is with dual hydualics in the rear, radio, no FEL. Both machines are good I just feel the JD is a little bit better in construction. I also love JD service and parts.

/ Tractor purchasing advice #13  
For what you are wanting to do I would follow Farmwithjunk's suggestion of the 6430 over the 5603. The 6430 is around 1800 pounds heavier and if you plan on baling the heavier tractor will work better for it. The 5603 is a good size for general chore work and such but it is a small utility pushing out large horses.

Now if it was me I would look at the New Holland T6000 (old name is the TS-A). If you plan on spending a lot of time in the tractor the cab on the T6000 can not be beat. You can also look at the New Holland TD-D if you want to save money. It is a nice tractor without all the frills.

Try them all (and not just in the dealers parking lot) doing what you want them to do and see how you like the tractor and the dealer and decide from there. This class of tractor is fairly competitive and they all make nice tractors in this range.

/ Tractor purchasing advice #14  
tydp said:
I looked at the 5603 specs and it sounds great. It is the only Deere in the 5000 series that is NOT made in India (made in Augusta, Georgia) so if the price is right, it would be be a good one.....

Actually its only the 5XX3 series equipment that is made in India...less of course the 5603...

All of the other 5XX5 and 5x25 series are all made in GA....