Tractor purchasing advice

/ Tractor purchasing advice #1  

Legdoc

I am planning to purchase a new tractor in the 95-110 Hp. range. This is to compliment and possibly replace my Kubota M6800 which has been excellent but is open cab and somewhat underpowered. The new machine duties are to manage 200-275 acres. This includes 15' batwing shredding, handling large round bales, discing, renovating, post holes, herbicide spraying and possibly cutting and bale of hay. I want a cab with A/C due to bees and allergies. The choice is either Kubota or John Deere. I have looked at a Kubota M9540 and Kubota M108 but I really want to stay away from all the electronics on the CRD M108. I am open to JD but I am not familiar with JD. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Legdoc

/ Tractor purchasing advice #2  
I cannot give specifics on that large of JD, but I have a 56 HP model that I am very happy to have it is well built and performs all tasks that I have asked it to do.

I don't know the area of the country you live in but I would suspect that if you looked around your area on the larger farms you would find many JD's of that size. Ask the farmer who owns one. I'll bet they researched their purchase before buying. Those machines are not cheap.

I know in North Texas I see many more JD's of that size and larger than most other brands.

Good luck on your search, and the dealer will make the difference on a good purchase and a great purchase.

/ Tractor purchasing advice
Thank you for the reply. I am in S Texas and have a excellent relationship with the Kubota Dealer. They are the type people that you can go to the owner with a question or walk into the shop and get a straight answer anytime. I expect the purchase with quick attatch on the FEL to be about 40K.
Any other suggestions are appreciated as I am still leaning toward the M9540.
Legdoc

/ Tractor purchasing advice #4  
One of the best bargains on the market in that range is the JD 5603. While it has a lot of amenities, it is not their premium tractor. Essentially it is a cab model with Power Reverser, 4cylinder turbo, 4WD and has economy PTO. This allows you to run the engine at about 60% rpm to spin the pto at 540. This saves fuel on lower demand implements. I think you can get one fairly loaded out with FEL for your price range.

John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 5603 Tractor (99 hp)

I hear the Kubota dealer in Victoria sometimes offers good deals. Are you near there?

/ Tractor purchasing advice #5  
Check out a CNH TS110

Many of the road crews for county maintenance are switching to those as they slowly get rid of their fleet of NH 7610s that they have been running for the last few years.

soundguy

/ Tractor purchasing advice #6  
I have a 6430 Deere that's used primarily to pull a 15' batwing used in a mowing business I own. More than adaquate for the chore. (95pto hp) I don't normally advocate the "new breed" of tractors. I'm more inclined to like the older ones fron the mid 80's on back. But this Deere is something to behold. Easy on fuel, great power, very reliable. We logged over 1400 hours in one year with NO mechanical issues. When the weather forced us, it ran 2 shifts a day, 7 days a week.

/ Tractor purchasing advice #7  
If you want something cheaper than a JD check out the MF 596. It is a solid tractor without the pushbutton/power reverser tranny. It handles a 15' batwing with ease. If you want that style trans try the MF 5455.
I also like the Kubota 108. I almost bought an MX 125 instead of the MF.

/ Tractor purchasing advice #8  
Kyle_in_Tex said:
One of the best bargains on the market in that range is the JD 5603. While it has a lot of amenities, it is not their premium tractor. Essentially it is a cab model with Power Reverser, 4cylinder turbo, 4WD and has economy PTO. This allows you to run the engine at about 60% rpm to spin the pto at 540. This saves fuel on lower demand implements. I think you can get one fairly loaded out with FEL for your price range.

John Deere Ag - New Equipment Features for 5603 Tractor (99 hp)

I hear the Kubota dealer in Victoria sometimes offers good deals. Are you near there?

I looked at the 5603 specs and it sounds great. It is the only Deere in the 5000 series that is NOT made in India (made in Augusta, Georgia) so if the price is right, it would be be a good one.....

/ Tractor purchasing advice
I may look at the JD 5603 since it is domestic. We have a JD, NH and Kubota Dealer here. Kyle I am in Victoria. The Kubota Dealer you speak of is Victoria Oliver Co. They are ther best people you will find! I want to stick with a brand with a local dealer although I realize there are other good brands. I appreciate the advise given.
Legdoc

/ Tractor purchasing advice #10  
Legdoc, I grew up in Victoria. Now live in Giddings and commute to Austin.

The last thing I want to do is start a brand war, so I'll recommend you test drive and ask plenty of questions. Don't sweat over trivial stuff like if one tractor's FEL says it may lift 150 lbs more than the other brand. Weight is good for ground engagement but not necesarily needed for hay production. 4WD tractors can do more with less weight, you can fill up your FEL's bucket with dirt if you need some weight. 250 acres is a lot. You may end up wishing you had 2 tractors. Use the smaller one to rake and spray.

Here are a few things about the Deere I can tell you.
The Deere are assembled in Georgia from parts made around the world. The 4cyl engine is one of the most durable you can buy in any tractor. Deere has a parts system that is one of the best in the world. You can check your dealer's (and surrounding dealers') stock, get pricing, order whatever you want and see exploded diagrams of parts. All while sitting in your skivvies at home on the net. Deere holds it value as good as any. On top of that, I can tell you that a midsize utility cab model deere with 4wd will hold its value better than almost any other model deere offers.

If you want to shop around besides Victoria, call Shawn at Jaeger's in Shiner and tell him Kyle from Giddings recommended calling him. I don't have any experience with the bigger Kubota's.