Big or small what does it all?

/ Big or small what does it all? #21  
just to restate what some other have said, i think you need to move up to a higher end CUT 25 to 30 hp , more power and better clearance. JMHO

/ Big or small what does it all? #22  
Chuck, the B7100 relies on Armstrong power steering. :mad: That is one reason I would like the B7800.:D :D

One can add power steering as some have done but being a procrastinator it will never happen for me.:D

Gotta keep them muscles in shape!:D

/ Big or small what does it all? #23  
Big or small is a recurring theme on TBN. I think it is fair to say that either could work and it is largely a question of how much time do you want to spend doing the chores. The stump removal task essentially requires a backhoe. If that is a major part of the work it would be worth owning one otherwise it might be better to rent and put the rest of the budget into a bigger tractor. Or, you could buy a TLB used.

Given the max budget quoted there is only one TLB that fits (new) which would be a SCUT like the BX24. I think that would be really pushing it for that machine however.

For the indicated budget you would have a good selection of fine sub 30hp machines to choose from including the Kubota B7800, Kioti CK25/30 and equivalent offerings from Mahindra, JD etc.

For about 10% more than the upper limit of the desired budget you can get into some much more powerful tractor/FEL combos including the Kubota L (not the grand) and Kioti DK line.

I agree that a grapple will be extremely useful for the type of work listed.

Photo shows a set up that would cost about 20% more than indicated budget but would do the work two or three times as fast as a 30hp CUT with just a FEL bucket with toothbar.

Attachments

• IMG_5603smallfile.jpg
    IMG_5603smallfile.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 206
   / Big or small what does it all? #24  
My opinion - for what little it's worth - is that the only reasons to buy a smaller tractor is that a larger one won't fit, can't be afforded or is too heavy. Those are plenty good reasons. Larger tractors pretty much need a 2 car garage sized space of their own to protect them and their attachments from the weather. A SCUT can often be stored in the space of a car with all of it's attachments (or under an overhang on the edge of the garage).

In many ways, LBrown59, summed it up. Their ain't no single tractor that does it all. Buy what fits your body, your chores, your available time, your storage space and your budget. Then learn to use it to the best of it's ability. Lot's of folks here are able to do more that I would have thought with a tractor that is way "too small". Just takes longer, as they say. If you have the time, that's OK.

(I'd still buy the bigger one)

jb

/ Big or small what does it all? #25  
I have no argument with any of the previous posts. I just want to add that I manage the same 12.5 A's with my TC29DA (29/23+ HP) as I did with my old Ford 1100
(13/11 HP). I now have larger size attachments and I can do the same tasks much more quickly, but as others have stated larger attachments cost more. I do miss my old Ford when I am in my woods as it was pretty manuverable (did have some ground clearance challenges on occassion). Tractor and dealer "feel" should also be part of the equation when getting a tractor. Good Luck- Jay

/ Big or small what does it all? #26  
IslandTractor said:
Big or small is a recurring theme on TBN. I think it is fair to say that either could work and it is largely a question of how much time do you want to spend doing the chores.

Afternoon Ed & Jay,
Both you guys have gone from smaller tractors to larger tractors with more HP, you are both uniquely qualified to make valid comparisons from one end of the spectrum to the other IMO ! You both stress the same point, more HP means quicker essentially, which pretty much wraps it up in a nutshell IMHO ! ;) :)

/ Big or small what does it all? #27  
Some things, like breaking BIG rocks into small enough pieces for a small tractor to pick up take a little more time than we might like, and sometimes it isn't especially quality time. :D

/ Big or small what does it all? #29  
Brokermike said:
I neglected to mention that I already have a lawnmower, so the subcompact will not be doing any mowing work if I buy it. Also didn't mention that my soil is soft and that I intend to use the loader with toothabr to do alot of digging.

No matter what brand of tractor you get, I would highly recommend a hydrostatic transmission.

My neighbor had (up until 2 months ago) a manual transmission tractor. He used to do a lot of haying, and it was fine for that. Then he moved and started using the tractor and FEL for earthmoving and landscaping tasks, only in his own yard. 2 years ago he needed a lot of transmission work and a new clutch. A year ago, another new clutch, and yet another one 3 months ago.

Just because a tractor and FEL can dig and move dirt it doesn't mean it was designed for those tasks.

/ Big or small what does it all? #30  
CurlyDave said:
"No matter what brand of tractor you get, I would highly recommend a hydrostatic transmission.

Just because a tractor and FEL can dig and move dirt it doesn't mean it was designed for those tasks."

Definitely get a toothbar :)! Having had both a gear driven and HST driven tractor I tend to agree especially if one is doing a lot of FEL work, and tractors are not bulldozers. There are many, many posts here at TBN about the relative merits of gear vs HST. Transmission choice is an individual choice based on perceived needs at the time of tractor acquisition. Jay