BELARUS 250AS

/ BELARUS 250AS #1  

Gizmo36

Platinum Member
A man a few miles from here has two Belarus 250AS . He got them new from a dealer in 1987 .He has not been able to sale them. I told him about 6 years ago that I would not have them. one has about 250 hours on it . One has about 400 on it. He wants a plow that I have it is about 800$ . The two run good right now. But would they bring 800$ for junk when they stop running.I am thinking about trading for them.. And let the deer hunters use them that hunt on my land.

/ BELARUS 250AS #2  
Problem is is that they already ARE wore out!:D

/ BELARUS 250AS #3  
i would keep the plow and pass on the tractors, just MHO

/ BELARUS 250AS #4  
Depends if you have a use for the tractors. They are worthless on the market but when they run they run and do what tractors generally do. There are thousands of these things on the road and farm in Eastern Europe and Russia. I'm sure they require tinkering but they are proven if lower grade tractors.

/ BELARUS 250AS #5  
Well I'm not a Belarus fan for sure. I used to own one that was about 75 or 80 hp(an 825 I think) that I bought new. It never failed to start though no matter how cold. I think that was the number one reason I kept it so long. If you wanting it for someone to putter around on and don't really care if the tear it up, those would be cheap enough to fit the bill. I have seen this model bring pretty decent prices on ebay if they look ok. Parts are available online for them the last I heard.

/ BELARUS 250AS #6  
Gizmo36 said:
A man a few miles from here has two Belarus 250AS . He got them new from a dealer in 1987 .He has not been able to sale them. I told him about 6 years ago that I would not have them. one has about 250 hours on it . One has about 400 on it. He wants a plow that I have it is about 800$ . The two run good right now. But would they bring 800$ for junk when they stop running.I am thinking about trading for them.. And let the deer hunters use them that hunt on my land.

Personally, I would do it in a heart beat. They bring $1500-$2000+ regularly on Ebay. Doing a search on completed auctions in January '08 showed that all recent 250AS were bid up to +$2000. Only one was bid up to less ($1625, it sold with a bad clutch). For referrence, the tractors the search brought up were located in Tenn, NC, OH, Arkansas and MO. Sounds like a no-brainer to me. I'd have that plow in his yard and 2 tractors in mine today if it were up to me!

/ BELARUS 250AS #7  
I don't see why Belarus has such a bad reputation on this board. I have known several people who had or still have them and never have problems with them. These are 60+hp farm tractors, not smaller ones though. My uncle owned a 500 series for about 15 years and finally traded it in on a Massey because he wanted something with more features. They are a basic and cheap tractor, but not worthless.

I would jump at that trade for the two 250AS' for a plow. For scrap metal alone they are worth about $250 a piece, so your not taking that big of a financial chance. JMHO

/ BELARUS 250AS #8  
Belarus tractors are a good news bad news story. The good news is they are low tech and can be maintained with rather primitive facilities. The bad news is that they often require lots of the low tech maint.

If the two tractors are the same, at least you should be able to keep one of them running by cannibalizing one to fix the other.

I had a chance to buy one but passed. I thought it was way too crude and I don't do well with the Russian's Cyrillic alphabet. Even the owner didn't know how to shift all the gears and everything was labeled in Russian.

$800 for two would be a fair experiment, especially if you don't expect to have to use them for much.

Pat

/ BELARUS 250AS #10  
A farmer neighbor has a Belarus, 70hp w/cab that he bought new about '86 or '87 and has used it since then, uses it to feed his dairy cows twice a day every day and the only thing he's complained about is fanbelt use.