please help with T L B

/ please help with T L B #1  

raymond

I am in the market for an L48 type tractor, like the looks of the Earth Force machines but I can not get a dealer to call me back. I wonder if anyone has experience with a front mounted auger on an L48 and if so how it worked. I currently borrow a skid steer to auger with, I own the auger, my brother owns the skid steer, but I would like one machine to auger, dig, move dirt and stone. I quger in clay-sand soil for mobile home foundations.
The auger is a lowe brand with a 24 inch auger that requires 16 gpm at 2000 psi, can i put on a bigger pump or will 12 gallons per minute just not work as well.

/ please help with T L B #2  
Raymond:
I've not done the type of work you're doing, except the hole drilling. My Power Trac 1845 has 15gpm @ 3000 psi hydraulic PTO. Its bucket capacity is 1200 lb, to 72" lift. It gives you front mount like a skid steer, but more stability. I wouldn't give up on the Earth Force, but suggest you take a look at the Power Trac. If you search for the Power Trac customization thread, I posted pictures of the WR Long 4 in 1 bucket and the Lackender hoe for mine. You might find a similar rig does your jobs pretty well.

/ please help with T L B #3  
Raymond,
I think that what you'll find w/only 12 galllons a minute the auger may "stall" often if you get into rock or hard-packed clay.I would give Lowe a call and see if they could tell you how the auger would perform on only 12 gal/min,they may say its fine.The other choice is to sell the hydraulic auger and buy a 3 point hitch auger to go along w/the new machine,I have a 3 point hitch auger and it works great,it also would allow you to use the front bucket w/out disconnecting anything.I also tried looking into the EF machines w/out much luck,but at the time they were being aquired by Ingersol Rand and I think there may have been issues w/them and some of the dealers,but if that is the best machine for you then keep persuing it,Mark Chalkley really loves his and it seems to work like a bear,check out some of his posts (Goodbye Kubota,hello EF or EF enhancements)he is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about it.

/ please help with T L B #4  
You could get a PTO hydraulic pump. I think Prince makes one that puts out 20 GPM at 540 PTO.

/ please help with T L B #5  
Raymond - What part of the world do you live in? Jason @ Folcomer Equipment has been on a vacation & ConExpo trip, but will be back in the office Monday. He may not be close to you, but he will return your calls, he's a great guy to work with, and he can work nearly anything out as far as delivery goes. Depending on the size machine you're interested in, you may be able to get it from any Bobcat dealer (EF-250 or smaller). Otherwise, check with anyone that carries Ingersoll-Rand equipment - they can probably get the larger ones.

Also, you can e-mail me your phone number, and I guarantee you'll get a call from somebody at EarthForce within a day or two.

As for hydraulic flow and augers, here's the deal: Flow determines the speed the auger turns, and pressure determines the amount of torque developed by the motor. For example, my McMillen auger head manual includes a table that shows the speed of rotation for all the flow rates that head will operated at. But, regardless of flow, a separate table shows the torque produced at 2000, 2500, and 3000 psi. As for digging ability, if the flow is too low, the auger won't dig as fast, and it won't clean the hole out as well - but it'll still dig in tough conditions, just more slowly. If you were to put your auger head on an EarthForce machine, though, you'd need to make sure it can handle 2900 PSI, or has a relief valve.

May the Force be with you! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ please help with T L B
I just want to say thankyou for your responses it has helped a lot. I called folcomer equipment and talked to Dave who was a great help and is sending me pictures of a used EF-4 soon. I think I will go that way.

/ please help with T L B #7  
Raymond - You're welcome! By the way, I've driven that EF-4, probably. At least, I've driven several of them at Folcomer's. Let me know how it goes.

/ please help with T L B
mark can you tell me what kind of shape they are in, I live in michigan and do not want to waste a lot of time if they are subpar.
thankyou
Ray

/ please help with T L B #9  
Raymond - I saw, but didn't drive, an EF-3 that was in "very used" condition. Mechanically, I'm sure it was sound, because it was regularly being rented, but it looked quite rough. Except for that machine, I saw EF-4's that ranged (in appearance) from very good to almost new. So, it depends on which one he's offering you, of course, but any of the EF-4's looked fine to me. I drove three different ones, at different times, and they all worked perfectly.

What are you planning on doing? Are you going to drive down to look at them? Can you haul it yourself or will it have to be shipped?

/ please help with T L B
I was thinking I would drive to look and probably get it shipped. I own a dodge 3/4 ton pick-up, do you think I could haul it on a pintle hitch trailer or would I need a goose neck, if I decided to haul it my self. I saw an EF 3 this weekend in indianapolis and was very impressed with it beefy apperance but I thought it was a little small for my needs, I think I will go with an EF 4 but I would like to see and drive and dig with one first. I really appreciate you help with this.

Ray

Ray