eBay/Craigslist ebay

/ ebay #21  
Robert_in_NY said:
Just so you know, if you delete your Ebay account you can not create another one the next time you want to bid unless you have a new e-mail address. They keep your e-mail address on file and you can only have one account per address. So if you want to delete your account every time just remember, you will need a new e-mail address every time you try to set up a new ebay account to buy or sell.

I have never had any problems with what the OP has complained about and I have been on Ebay for a long time, almost from the beginning.

I am of the same thinkin here... but I changed my password just in case anyway... seemed like a good idea... had to remember to tell SWMBO though...

/ ebay #22  
I had my CC info stolen last year about this time. I hadn't been keeping up with my virus protection, and scanning. Luckily for me I check my account almost daily, and noticed charges that I didn't make. Call bank, canceled card and got all my money back. It was a pretty scary two weeks. In the process I had fixed my virus scan software and found a "tracker" virus which can track and send out anything and everything you type.
Since that time I run a scan and update every day and run spybot and Adaware weekly.
Oh and I only use my linux box to purchase off the internet now.
All un-solicited email from ebay or paypal is deleted with out reading. Any message from them will be posted at their respective web sites.

Wedge

/ ebay #23  
wedge40 said:
I had my CC info stolen last year about this time. I hadn't been keeping up with my virus protection, and scanning. Luckily for me I check my account almost daily, and noticed charges that I didn't make. Call bank, canceled card and got all my money back. It was a pretty scary two weeks. In the process I had fixed my virus scan software and found a "tracker" virus which can track and send out anything and everything you type.
Since that time I run a scan and update every day and run spybot and Adaware weekly.
Oh and I only use my linux box to purchase off the internet now.
All un-solicited email from ebay or paypal is deleted with out reading. Any message from them will be posted at their respective web sites.

Wedge

I hope Waggy1 is reading this because these are exactly the type of examples that I was trying to convey. The term hack nowadays is used so frequently that when there is a problem with an account, it is presumed that the problem must be because the account was hacked. Rather, it may be a symptom of a problem that might not necessarily be the obvious. In Waggy1's (OP) case, the fact that 3 accounts from different vendors were compromised pretty much tells me that there is a common source (his computer) that is more likely compromised.

Unfortunately, Waggy1 hasn't followed up in a week + and he has only 2 postings (1 plus followup on same day) so I hope he is taking some of these suggestions and examples to heart.

/ ebay #24  
I have to admit, I was very pleased with my banks response. There is an FBI website to fill out a report of stolen information. Mine must have ended up on the internet somewhere because I had charges all over the US. From computer stuff to hardware for cabinets.

Oh ya I had my money back in about two weeks from when I reported it.

Wedge

/ ebay
I did not post to gain info. i have norton's complete protection suite ,it updates daily. my reason for posting was to share what happened to me and to warn others. if it has not happened to you, good. it had not happened to me before this occurance, i have been on the web and ebay from the begining. i do not care if you believe me or not, you will believe when it happens to you. given enough time and enough chances it will happen.. the people who do these types of crimes have nothing to loose by spending all day every day trying to crack someone's security. anything that you can come up with to protect your computer can and will be broken in time by some deviate. if not why do all protection companies issue updates (patches).. do what you want and good luck. all i was trying to say is i will no longer take the chance and to share my experience and to maybe save you some grief. best of luck!!!