Here's My Dilemma

/ Here's My Dilemma
Thanks for all the information. I agree with the dealer service, that is true for any item. I will keep looking around and will be reading the forum religously.

When I do break down and get a tractor, I'll be sure to post pics! :)

/ Here's My Dilemma #12  
I own a JD 5105 4X4 with a FEL. This is a great size but kinda hard to haul on a 16ft trailer. I can use an 8ft mower on it but I curently have a 6ft. Maintance has been minimum I bought it from AG power in Mineola. I have had good luck and excellent service with them. I am not real impressed with the tyler JD but they save me a trip sometimes. I have owned both kubota and JD. Green cost more, power wise Ive had more luck with the JD. The Kubota can't remember the model was a 60hp and it seemed to me under powered even when brush hogging. Kubota dealership in Tyler is excellent though. I never had an issue with parts and service.

/ Here's My Dilemma #13  
I've got the JD 5103 (40PTO HP) and really like it. I've got 25ac in Central Texas, pretty much flat. The land was mostly clear except for numerous cedar bushes and scrub trees. If you check out my tread in the Projects section (clearing land) you can get an idea what you can do with a modest tractor. My basic purchase was the tractor,FEL,boxblade and mower and it came in under $21k. I've added a few things but am still keeping it on a budget. 2wd verses 4wd is a long and hotly debated topic. Only you can really tell what you need. For me 2wd is sufficent. My project is to clear all the cedar and prep. and sow some pasture grass to that maybe, just maybe I won't have to depend on purchasing so much hay. Hey if things work out I'll get into baling my own hay.

Good luck on your purchase.

/ Here's My Dilemma #14  
go get yourself a nice kioti dk 40 or dk45, they are both fine tractors and are cheaper and just as well made as the more expensive green or blue ones. i own a dk55 with a loader, very strong tractors. they come with a 4 year warrantee and are now offered with 0 percent financing. or you can come to west virginia a buy mine.

/ Here's My Dilemma #15  
30-40 hp should be fine... if not mechanically inclined.. get a unit with warranty. though it won't hurt to own a set of tools and a manual and start becoming mechanically inclined along the way while your warranty is starting to run out.

that way, you can start doing your maintenance after the warranty is gone.. IE.. greasing and oil and filter changes.. etc..

soundguy

I am not mechanically inclined. I have 25 acres to maintain. At this time, only 5 acres are cleared to mow. The rest is small saplings and larger trees that over time will be cleared out. The future plans include horses and a house on the property. No hay baling, just keeping up horses.

I would like to purchase a tractor in the neighborhood of 40 HP. My local dealers include New Holland, Kubota, Case, and next town over- John Deere and Farm Trac. At this time, I really have no preference which brand of tractor I purchase. I do know that I want a front end loader on the tractor.

Will a 40 hp tractor be sufficient to do what I want? If I buy used, what should I look out for, symptoms, specific brands.

I have been pouring over the forums since I found them, but there is a lot of information here.

Anyway, Thanks in advance for your time in reading and hopefully your time in answering.