total US tractor sales

/ total US tractor sales #1  

Mailman17

Bronze Member
Tractor
2005 Mahindra 4110 TLB
I was just curious where I could find how many tractors were sold by each brand in 2007 ? Anybody got the 411 ? :confused:

/ total US tractor sales #2  
Mailman17 said:
I was just curious where I could find how many tractors were sold by each brand in 2007 ? Anybody got the 411 ? :confused:

Good luck. For some reason all I ever see is we're #1 or 2 or what ever. Never any actual quantities of units sold.:(

/ total US tractor sales #3  
If you can find these numbers I am sure the FBI will be in contact with you because you would be one of the greatest investigators alive. The tractor OEM's are very secretive about their sales numbers for some reason:confused:

/ total US tractor sales #4  
Every manufacturer manipulates the data to suit their purposes and claims by limiting the category's criteria - i.e. "We're #1 in sales of mauve and salmon painted tractors in the 23 to 23.1 hp category" when nobody else even makes one that exactly fits said criteria.

Kind of like all those lame enterainment industry awards.

/ total US tractor sales #5  
   / total US tractor sales #6  
JoeinTX said:
Finding individual OEM's numbers is very rare.

Here is a link to the total sales figures across the board by size which is interesting in itself AEM | Industry Trends - U.S. Ag Flash Reports: December 2007 Flash Report<br />U.S. Unit Retail Sales

It would seem that CUT sales fell this past year while sales of mid/large tractors rose quite a bit which is a turn from recent years.

Seems logical. With the nosedive in the value of the dollar, American made big iron is probably enjoying an upswing in sales while smaller mostly foreign built tractor purchases are being delayed because their prices have increased due to the falling dollar.

/ total US tractor sales #7  
Mailman17 said:

I have no clue how you will get a good answer to your question.

The USDA requires us ag folk to fill out a big questionnaire and among the questions is how many farm vehicles you have like trucks, tractors, self powered combines and harvesters etc. They even want to know how many were built in the last 5 years. I know this is not what you want and is not to the detailed resolution you would like but it is related info and is available for the last umpteen years.

NASS, National Agriculture Statistics Service does the data reduction and maintenance of the archives. A little detective work will get you what they have.

Questions they ask include: Number of trucks and tractors.

Number of tractors under 40 HP (PTO) excluding garden tractors, 40-99 HP, 100 HP or more. Then they go into self propelled implements and hay balers. There is also questions on the market value of your equipment.

You should be able to find out how many tractors of what sizes and values there have been in the various agriculture census years and get a good guess as to how many were sold in each period (increased numbers had to come from somewhere and sales is the most likely source unless you think extraterrestrials are swapping tractors for the cattle they mutilate.

It might be worth checking with the the Dept of Commerce in case they are collecting/holding any related data of interest.

I don't have the URL for where to go to get the digested info but maybe the folks collecting the data can tell you were to access it after they do their statistical rumination to it. Their toll free number is 1-888-424-7828

Pat

/ total US tractor sales #8  
The AEM does all those figures, the actual venders pay big bucks for the info, so you won't see it publicly. We know approximates though.

/ total US tractor sales #9  
JoeinTX said:
Finding individual OEM's numbers is very rare.

Here is a link to the total sales figures across the board by size which is interesting in itself AEM | Industry Trends - U.S. Ag Flash Reports: December 2007 Flash Report<br />U.S. Unit Retail Sales

It would seem that CUT sales fell this past year while sales of mid/large tractors rose quite a bit which is a turn from recent years.

Interesting info. Thanks.

I'm trying to decipher this data. In Dec07 16,079 two-wheel and 365 four-wheel tractors were sold. It seems to me that the AEM must be lumping tractors with front wheel assist, like my Kubota B7510HST, into the two-wheel category. And the 4-wheel category must refer to the larger ag tractors with true 4-wheel drive. Correct?

/ total US tractor sales #10  
flusher said:
Interesting info. Thanks.

And the 4-wheel category must refer to the larger ag tractors with true 4-wheel drive. Correct?

I believe that is correct.