What if "No dealer"

/ What if "No dealer" #1  

Slackdaddy

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti CK20HST
I'm in a area of MD (Calvert County) that does not have any tractor dealers.
There is one "hardware store" that sell JD, and sells them high, they have 1 tractor on the floor, not sure anyone really buys there.
There is a NH dealer in PG county about 35 min away, but NH is at the high end, and I was not really looking for JD or NH
There is a Massey dealer about an hour away.
I was looking for Mahandra, Kioti, Montana, Branson(you get the picture)

All of these dealers are on the eastern shore about 2+ hours away.

Can I expect dealer support 2+ hours away ?
or should I just buy used because I would not have dealer support anyhow ?

Nick

/ What if "No dealer" #2  
Given the situation, used (check over real good) is probably ok.

jb

/ What if "No dealer" #3  
Slackdaddy said:
Can I expect dealer support 2+ hours away ?
or should I just buy used because I would not have dealer support anyhow ?
Nick
It will depend on the dealer. Go talk with them. Look their operation over, meet the dealer and shop foreman. See how they feel about where you are located. Also see how they will work with you should you buy from them and need warranty work.

/ What if "No dealer" #4  
Do I understand correctly that the brands you are looking at are because of a lower price point?

I didn't even research those brands much because I didn't see dealers nearby. I figured being a noob, I would want a dealer near by. My dealer is 25 miles away and will transport for routine service, warranty, etc. My take was that having efficient support nearby was worth the price difference of a lower price brand (even though I never really researched price that far on the others). And it was nice, because I had a leaking cylinder on a stabilizer right off the bat. Dealer ordered the part, came to the house and replaced it -within 3 days - would hate to think how it would go with them 2 + hrs away and across the Bay Bridge

BTW, I'm in Charles County, about 15 min west of Prince Frederick - I visited a few of the dealers in the southern counties and the one in PG you mentioned. Was actually impressed with most of them - all had pretty good reputations (I have several friends who have family farms in the area).

Just my $.02 - good luck with your search!

/ What if "No dealer" #5  
I own a Power Trac tractor. There are no dealers anywhere in the country. It is only factory direct. They have great parts support and overnight shipping. I have wrenches and enjoy working on machines. What more could I want? :D

I would say, if you are mechanically inclined and enjoy working on machinery, go with the tractor of your choice and service and repair it yourself. If you are not mechanically inclined or do not enjoy working on machinery, or you need it running for a business and cannot afford downtime, then you should go with dealer support.

/ What if "No dealer" #6  
There are probably at least 15 different ways to look at this.

I'd say that long term parts availability is more important than anything else. A warranty is only going to last 3 years anyway - many (most) don't end up needing the warranty. Parts however, you are going to need forever.

Even with dealers within 45 minutes, it would cost me $150 or more in transportation charges. Is that worth it even for warranty repairs ? depends on the repair?

With my cars, I try to buy the most reliablie possible by researching. I've got two Hondas which have barely ever seen a Honda dealer. Both go to an independant mechanic - even the new one.

Tractors aren't THAT complicated. I'm sure that you can get an independant mechanic to work on one that is close by.

If you can find a dealer that is two hours away that will work with you, a brand that you are confident of the reliability and parts support of, I would not hesitate to do it.

If by some stroke of bad luck, you end up with a lemon, I'm sure you will be happy to pay to get it taken to the dealer so that he can fix it. Realistically for the average amount of warranty repair these machines take, you can do it yourself or find a local mechanic to do it. I think a decent dealer should be able to at least provide you parts under warranty in the unlikely event that you will need them.

/ What if "No dealer" #7  
Hey Calvert county, there are some dealers, if you look for them. Closest/Biggest would be Atlantic Tractor in Davidsonville, that's my neck of the woods. Then there is the crook in Upper Mayberry, Greg ain't so bad to deal with, but his old man is a piece of work. Then there is the other crook in Upper Mayberry, I stay away from him as he is the most expensive dealer for his particular brand of tractors on the east coast, and I have seen him eat a sandwich before(like a hog at a trough!). You didn't mention what you want, new or used, and what HP range. I have a couple of tractors for sale, in AA county, and I know all the dealers local to your neck of the woods, and a few auctions, to boot! PM me for more details, and welcome to TBN!:D :D

/ What if "No dealer"
Dave thanks for the response, PM sent.
I am looking for mid size frame (2500#-3000#)in the 26-32 HP range.
Lightly used is My style, I can turn a wrench just fine and have the tools,
I just don't want to spend an hour wrenching every time I need to move the tractor.

Thanks,
Nick

/ What if "No dealer" #9  
I looked up a zip code in Maryland 20610 which is Barstow and found a Mahindra dealer in Preston MD Bell Creek Equipment 410-673-2700 Preston is 39 miles from Barstow.

Don

I own a 3325 Mahindra and it is a great tractor. 35 HP.