Calling all tractor owners new & experienced

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #1  

toddol1971

Silver Member
Tractor
Massey ferguson Model 65 gas
I want a heavy duty, heavy framed, tough as nails 50ish hp tractor with a fel to move stone, block, logs, pull stumps, clean fields, push over big trees etc. I think you get the idea. My massey 65 is ok for small disk, bush hogging, but I want to sell this tractor for a 4x4 with a fel. The 1433 is just not stout enough, or heavy enough. I want any & all suggestions I can get. Just so you know 50ish to me means just a starting point. I may end up with a 75 or 80 horse tractor, but I need your help in deciding. Also is there another site that deals with these bigger tractors? Thanks everyone, Todd.:)

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #2  
What You need is a construction Loader/backhoe, not a farm tractor.
When You compare the loader on a case 580, to a FEL on a "farm" tractor, they are in 2 differant worlds. I have looked for a farm Tractor with FEl to compare to My 580, and they do not exist.

Nick

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #3  
So do I, I just can't swing one right now.

I have a backhoe, which would do a lot of the grunt work you describe. If you can't do a backhoe, I like an M6800 Kubota 4x4 or a JD5525 4x4. Tough, proven tractors with nice size tires and locking rear & front differentials for the soft stuff.

Last edited:
   / Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #4  
Welcome to TBN... am glad you filled in your profile... it helps us understand your needs a bit. Hmm... 100 acres or so.... Me, I'd be looking at a CUT. I used to have a MF 165 before my current tractor.

Well, I'll give you a starting point.... My Kubota L5030 (see equipment list below) does all you say you want to do at for almost exactly 50hp... except push over trees... it's not a bulldozer. There are posts all around that can provide you lots of ideas. You can spend many hours gathering ideas and opinions from lots of threads....I suggest you keep a pencil and paper handy to write down ideas... and bookmark items/threads for return study.

My ideas would be:

Consider purchase of all implements as part of your complete needs... not just the tractor, which is only an engine.

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #5  
toddol1971 said:
I want a heavy duty, heavy framed, tough as nails 50ish hp tractor with a fel to move stone, block, logs, pull stumps, clean fields, push over big trees etc. I think you get the idea. My massey 65 is ok for small disk, bush hogging, but I want to sell this tractor for a 4x4 with a fel. The 1433 is just not stout enough, or heavy enough. I want any & all suggestions I can get. Just so you know 50ish to me means just a starting point. I may end up with a 75 or 80 horse tractor, but I need your help in deciding. Also is there another site that deals with these bigger tractors? Thanks everyone, Todd.:)

Went to the Farm Show today in Colusa. Talked to Dave of DavesTractors (Mahindra and Branson). Told him I needed a new 50-60 hp tractor, gear tranny, heavy, no FEL. He recommended the Mahindra 5525 (~5400 lb with unfilled tires). The optional loader has a 6-ft wide bucket with about 3000 lb lift to full height (10'-6") at the pivot pins. Tractor/FEL combo way under $20K. Looks pretty good to me and will be a nice fit to my 21 hp(engine) Kubota B7510HST/LA302 FEL and 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine).

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced
What I should have said was I want as heavy of a tractor they make with 4x4 fel & reliable, very reliable. I can fix almost anything, but would like to not have to start working on the thing after 2 years. I would love to have if I was rich a medium size dozer with an excivator LOL who wouldnt right:D A backhoe wont work cause no 3 point or rear pto, plus there high. I know it dont have to be perfect just something close to what I want. I know I need 50 or more hp, cause the 1433 just doesnt come close & my 65 is ok, but could use a little more hp too. The 65 it like 49 drawbar hp. I like the weight of the 65 & the size too. It would be nice to find a massey or kubota heck even a mahindra if there any good that would be size wise close to the 65 with 4x4 & fel. I love the site already. Thanks for all the replys & keep them coming. Its the only way I'll learn anything. I talk to some of the dealers, & all they want is my money not really conserned about what I really want. I sometimes think they dont know anything about there products except how to fill out the finance paperwork. Thanks Todd.:)

Last edited:
   / Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #7  
Look at the Kioti DK series DK50 to DK90. They are heavy, reliable, work horses. Mine is not as large as you are looking for DK35 but with almost 700 hours on it in 2 years the only thing I've had to do is change the fluids. Over 100 of those hours were spent digging into a gravel bank and moving it almost 1/4 mile to build a pad for a mobile home. Believe it or not when it was time to set the 50' x 14' mobile home on the pad, this little tractor actually pulled it about 70 yards from it's storage place to the pad.

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced
Well like I was talking to a fellow tbner that when you pull up to something to move you dont get out & put a scale under it & go oh no its 682lbs to heavy i cant move it. I & all of us probably try to get it in the fel if it picks it up it moves it. Even if it means tip toeing the tractor to the designated spot. If it wont pick it up drag the b!t(h:eek: . Thats why I want a stouter tractor. I dont want a full size tractor. I just want a tough sob known to be reliable & I know you'all will tell me what I need. Thanks.

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #9  
I recommend what I have, a case jx95. It's 80 hp, but you can get near identical in lesser hp jx55, jx75 etc.. Very heavy built and easy to maintain and repair, no hydro transmission - just proven reliable parts.

/ Calling all tractor owners new & experienced #10  
RancherSam said:
I recommend what I have, a case jx95. It's 80 hp, but you can get near identical in lesser hp jx55, jx75 etc.. Very heavy built and easy to maintain and repair, no hydro transmission - just proven reliable parts.

Or if blue is your color you can get the TD75D or TD95D from New Holland.

The TN (T4000 series now) will also do what you are asking. I have done everything you wanted to do with yours and more with my TN65. Just if you push over large trees you better have a steel canopy designed to protect you from falling limbs. I have pushed over trees in the 6-8" range and it takes the right soil conditions to do this rather efficiently.