Buying a tractor and looking for opinions

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #21  
LBrown is saying that, as some have suggested, he actually only has one tractor....... he just didn't know how else to say it. :)

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #22  
Birdbrain said:
So my main needs stand at
1. plow / disc the garden and wildlife plantings
2. mowing to maintain grasslands
3. minor grading work to maintain back lane, pond dikes, occasional snow removal. (all minor occurences)

An FEL was suggested, but I have no idea what I would use it for. I feel my $ are better spent on implements to handle my priority tasks....
Once you plow and disc you will have a pile of debris that has to be dealt with. The FEL will make quick work of moving it. Same thing for grading. You will have piles and ridges left over.

As for snow plowing, a back blade is O.K., but not the best. You will have windrowed snow on the sides of your drive. The FEL will help you move the stuff back or out of the way.

When I bought my tractor, I had the mindset of getting a mowing machine that could also do front end loader work. I discovered that I spent more time using the FEL bucket then the mower the first two years I had it. Landscaping, moving loose material, mulch, rocks, etc... think of it as a power wheel barrow. For a homeowner, a FEL is a very, very useful tool. I highly recommend it.

As someone mentioned, it IS like having a socket wrench in that you can change sockets, or in this case, implements, but not having an FEL bucket would be like not having a 1/2" or 9/16" socket for me. It is one of my most used tools. Here's a picture of my tractor and my implements... :)
PT425mainpic.jpg

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #23  
Yeah, that & I could argue that these small 24hp & smaller tractors arent really tractors. Technically they are, but compared to a regular farm tractor they seem like toys. Tractor is just a name. They all have there uses. Whether they have a loader or not there still tractors before the loader was put on. I do agree that a loader is unbelievably usefull, but if a guy knows hes not gonna use one, why spend 3 to 5 grand extra. Todd.

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #24  
Glen, on level ground a small tractor can handle a drill seeder. They are heavy and would cause real problems on hills but you said flat. You wont be able to pull it fast, but you dont have to for it to work. Itll just take longer.
As to mowing - if youre not going to harvest the grass use a rotary cutter. It chops the cut and it speeds decomposition of the thatch better to prevent choking the underlying grass.
To stay w/i budget I would go into the 30-40HP range with loader before Id buy 40-50HP without. Get a quick release system for loader attachments - the skid steer type offers the highest variety of compatible attachments. Youll will very soon become thankful for the extra utility.
Go diesel.
larry

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #25  
Birdbrain said:
Hi again,
I thought I would get this thread going again. I have been reading a lot of past threads on here and learning new details.

I think some of the responses to my original post got caught up on the number that I have 50 acres total. But much of the property will be converted to ponds and habitat that will not need any regular maintenance. Instead, I will be farming / gardening 5-6 acres and mowing about 10 acres once per year. So I am considering my needs based on 15 acres.

So my main needs stand at
1. plow / disc the garden and wildlife plantings
2. mowing to maintain grasslands
3. minor grading work to maintain back lane, pond dikes, occasional snow removal. (all minor occurences)

My wish list is
A. 30 hp +/- tractor with rear hydraulic, top and tilt, r1 tires (some muddy conditions possible)
B. 2 bottom plow, 5' +/- disc
C. rear mower (5' ?). Gave up on the sickle idea due to expected saplings.
D. rear blade
E. some sort of planter or seeder (have not researched yet)

An FEL was suggested, but I have no idea what I would use it for. I feel my $ are better spent on implements to handle my priority tasks.

Gave up on finish mowing idea b/c the area of the yard I would use it for, I do not really care about anyway. Let it grow. Or plow it up for more plantings. :)

Budget is 18k max, but a less is great b/c there are always other projects that could get funded.

More opinions please.

Thanks,
Glen

Glen,
The tasks you are asking of a tractor, don't require a lot of HP but you are going to need a heavy tractor, 5000 lbs. plus. To get that heavy a tractor/loader new, in your price range, you will have to go with 2WD or one of the China made brands. That being said and my being a Mahindra tractor dealer, I am going to say check out the mahindrausa.com website. Then check out the 5500 2wd and 5530 4wd. Good luck and remember you will need a heavy tractor to pull that 3 bottom plow. Don't get talked into a high HP tinker toy as you will be dissapointed.

Last edited:
   / Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #26  
Sitting here reading your uses and personally I believe you would be highly disappointed in a 30 hp tractor. Once you mow CRP grass you will know what I talking about. It's a dense thick mat of grass. I have a 70hp tractor with an 84" mower and I get disappointed mowing and think about just getting a 15' batwing for one of the larger tractors.

There is 15 acres of CRP here and all I mow is the cool season grass on the border which probably adds up to 3 or 4 acres. It takes some time if you want to do it nice which we do so we can walk around it.

Personally if it was me with the acreage you are talking I would have a small utility or big lawn mower type tractor maybe with a QT loader. They maybe find you a larger utility type tractor in your flavor. Ones that come to mind that would since you had red are a Case IH 595/695 which should be had for $6-8,000 or a JD 2355 or newer 5310/5410. You should be fine running a 72" mower on any of those.

Just my opinion from the farm:D

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #27  
1586, I want one of those mfwd IH's you got. Is that the 1586? I dont need a 1586, but would love a 1066 with mfwd. Todd.

/ Buying a tractor and looking for opinions #28  
toddol1971 said:
....I do agree that a loader is unbelievably usefull, but if a guy knows hes not gonna use one, why spend 3 to 5 grand extra. Todd.

On a Power Trac tractor, all of the attachments go out front. The loader arms are included in the price of the tractor. The buckets cost extra. ;)