How many hours are to many

/ How many hours are to many #1  

geekfarmer

Looking for a tractor (dah) and think I know what HP I need. My question is, how many hours are to many, I.E engin is close to an overhall. I know it depends some on how hard it was driven but is there a rule of thum I should be following. For example, on Tractorhouse there is a Ford 1920 with 1169 hours for $6500. Good buy? High hours for the tractor? I really don't want to get it and have to turn around and have it overhaled (sp?).

/ How many hours are to many #2  
geekfarmer said:
Looking for a tractor (dah) and think I know what HP I need. My question is, how many hours are to many, I.E engin is close to an overhall. I know it depends some on how hard it was driven but is there a rule of thum I should be following. For example, on Tractorhouse there is a Ford 1920 with 1169 hours for $6500. Good buy? High hours for the tractor? I really don't want to get it and have to turn around and have it overhaled (sp?).

Gas or diesel?

My understanding, from several years of reading TBN threads, is that CUT diesel engines (under 50 hp) should last several thousand hours before overhaul. Larger diesels in ag tractors can easily go 5000 hours without major overhaul, assuming normal servicing is done. You hear about the larger tractor diesels going 10,000 hours or more before overhaul.

The 3-cyl Perkins diesel (45 hp engine, 38 hp pto) in my 1964 MF-135 was overhauled in the early 1990s at 3200 hours because of a cracked crankshaft caused by improper installation of an external hydraulic pump on the front of the engine. When I bought the 135 in July06 it had clocked 4630 hours. The previous owners used it to mow and disc his olive orchard. No heavy plowing.

Don't know much about gas tractor engines.

/ How many hours are to many #3  
geekfarmer said:

1920 is an excellent tractor. It should go at least double that before major overhaul. Does it have a loader? Price seems good if 4wd.

Andy

/ How many hours are to many
No loader and only 2WD.

/ How many hours are to many #6  
A GOOD diesel engine that's been well cared for SHOULD go 5000 to 7000 hours without need for overhaul. Some go 10,000 and up. I know of a 1966 Deere 4020 with 18,000 hours on original engine. (yep! It's flat worn out, but the point is.... Energizer Bunny lifespan)

I've got one tractor with 3100 hours (in 37 years) and another with 4300 hours (29 years) that burn no oil, test like new as far as compression, make good power, start like new, and show no signs of letting up.

I've seen tractors with 500 hours that were trashed.

All depends on WHO owned it and HOW they treated it.

The price you quoted on that particular tractor is at the high end of the scale for that model. It would have to be in pristine condition IMHO.

/ How many hours are to many #7  
FMJ hit it on the head. Diesels are expected to go 5-10,000 hours before needing a rebuild. Expected, that's different from capable.

However, some folks can break an anvil hitting it with a feather. Just imagine what they may do with a tractor!

You want to check the basic stuff. Compression (needs a special rig for a diesel), oil quality, hydro fluid quality, leaks, paint, tires, front end looseness, grease zerks (should have grease on them - even the hard to reach ones!!!), etc. Dirt in the air is what wears out engines, check the post air cleaner tube for dirt. If you find any, you may want to walk away. Unlike cars, there is no law regulating the hour meter. That is a cheat can change it, turn it back what ever. 99% are perfectly accurate, but keep it in mind. Most hour meters are under 50 bucks and can be swapped in 15 min.

Typically small diesels that PTO at 3000-ish rpms will start to tire at 3000 hours. Larger ones that PTO at 2000-ish rpms will go 5000 hours before they start to tire out. Larger diesels are closer to 7000 hrs. That's where they are typically traded off as the repair costs are over whelming the value.

jb

/ How many hours are to many #8  
I generally consider anything under 1000hrs just broke in on a diesel.

As someone else pointed out.. you should be able to get 3000-4000 hrs on a well maintained compact.. and the larger units can go 6-8-10-12k.. most of it depending on use, maint, and in some cases.. luck.

gassers.. like antiques.. I see them in the 4500hr range still running and ready for rebuilds...

a 1920 is a good capapble machine.. I had a 97 model with 12x4 gear tranny, and 4wd.. paid 9500$ for it used from a dealers lot with 700hrs on it. ran it a few years then traded it in for 8500$ to same dealer on a larger tractor .

soundguy

geekfarmer said:

/ How many hours are to many #9  
You might find a low houred (500-1000 hours) that in a ten year old tractor that has more wear then a 3000 hour tractor. The biggest damage issue with many issues is not running them long enough to warm them properly and starting. I've seen several of our tractors that have run into the 15,000 to twenty thousand hour range with near continuous use. I've also rebuilt 600 hour engines that are twenty years old because of ring failure from cylinder wall glazing.

/ How many hours are to many #10  
Don't you think it also has to do with the design of the engine? IH made a D-361 six cylinder dry sleeve that was noted for it's longevity, quite a few went over 20,000 hrs without a major overhaul. On the other hand the wetsleeved 400 series had lots of cavitation problems until they came out with the water filters.