Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #1  

sseelhoff

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland Workmaster 35
The wife and I bought 10 acres in Scurry, Texas. Barn is up, and tractor shed is under construction. I need to a tractor to fill the tractor shed. Here are the details:

Property has a good stand of coastal bermuda. I would like to keep it that way. Will fertilize and overseed this spring, and probably rye every fall. No intention to hay any of it, but will keep it mowed.

Soil is clay. Terrain is flat and level. The only trees on the property are the 4 apple trees and 2 bradford pears I have planted over the last month.

Driveway culvert is in, (rock over fill), and will need to build and maintain a driveway. May also put in a sand riding ring in the near future.

We have two horses, and will likely have two more (borders) in the future
I have fenced in over half of the property already. I have a few more post holes to dig, but not many.

No house in the property, but will be building and moving out there permanently in two years or so. (We have a horse trailer with living quarters that we use as our weekend "apartment." Bought it to use at horse shows, but it makes a nice little retreat for now.)

So, I'm looking for all the advice I can get about what to buy. Thoughts?

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #2  
I have a feeling you're about to get a laundry list of possible options that'll include just about every model and brand ever built!

It's not out of the question to maintain 10 acres with something small. I've seen some mighty big tractors put to use on smaller places. I'd assume you want something practical, big enough to handle most any chores you'll run up against, small enough to be reasonably fuel effecient and able to work in some confined areas, probably a loader, and fit it all in a sensable budget.

Look for something that'll not require implements that are too big (and expensive) or too small and too light duty.

IMHO, that says something 35 to 45 hp. I personally prefer a utility tractor over a compact, but that's me. If I was buying a new tractor that size today, I'd look at 5x03 John Deere's or 500 series Massey Fergusons. A LOT of bang for the buck, assuming you have a decent dealer in your area.

You'll find there are literally dozens of tractor models that are more than adaquate for your needs. I'd say the VERY FIRST aspect I'd consider is HOW MUCH DO YOU WANT TO SPEND? Set a budget (including implements) then see where that takes you.

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe
I don't want to overkill on size, and budget is around $20,000, which includes front end loader and some implements (cutter, box blade?, spreader?, harrow?). Fortunately, I have a wife who grew up with a father who liked his toys, so she is supportive of buying as many implements as we "need." Her father "needed" lots of stuff.

I would prefer something small, and like to keep things simple, so gear drive is fine, HST and some of the other features would be a lost item on me.

And I want lot's of opinions. I have used tractors before, but never actually purchased my own. (My in-laws owned a landscape contracting firm, so I borrowed a lot of equipment on weekends, when the machines were sitting in the yard-but now that we've moved to Texas, it's a little far to drive to S.C. to get a tractor for some Saturday afternoon mowing). Father-in-Law is partial to Cub Cadet, but I'd like to get some other experiences.

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #4  
sseelhoff:

Welcome to TBN :D! Farmwithjunk is right on about the number of opinions you will get from the members of TBNland :eek:. I would suggest that you look at a size tractor that will fit within the barn stalls. If you are going with a FEL, 4WMFWD and HST are a plus. A midsize frame CUT with HP in the upper 20's to low 30's should meet your needs. Remember the bigger and wider the tractor the more expensive the attachments become :eek:. Keep the posts coming. Jay :)

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe
jbrumberg said:
sseelhoff:

Welcome to TBN :D! Farmwithjunk is right on about the number of opinions you will get from the members of TBNland :eek:. I would suggest that you look at a size tractor that will fit within the barn stalls. If you are going with a FEL, 4WMFWD and HST are a plus. A midsize frame CUT with HP in the upper 20's to low 30's should meet your needs. Remember the bigger and wider the tractor the more expensive the attachments become :eek:. Keep the posts coming. Jay :)

Thanks for the welcome. I stumbled across this site yahooing (as opposed to googling) for tractor reviews, and have found a wealth of information in a couple of days. You guys are a great source of information.

Quick question: What is "4WMFWD?" 4w = 4 wheel drive I get, but what is the rest shorthand for?

And while you're at it, was is SWMBO? I've seen that one thrown out there, too. Somebody needs to post a dictionary of terms.

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #6  
sseelhoff said:
Quick question: What is "4WMFWD?" 4w = 4 wheel drive I get, but what is the rest shorthand for?

Mechanical Front Wheel Drive

The other abbreviation escapes me at he moment. Your right about the dictionary.:D Sounds like you are getting good advice so far. Keep reading around about the different brands and look for established dealers in your area. Good luck

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #7  
SWMBO= "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #8  
dgl24087 said:
SWMBO= "She Who Must Be Obeyed"

dgl24087:

Thank you although I use the term quite extensively here at TBN I never sat down to think about SWMBO. You have just saved me some typing time :D! Jay

PS: I learn something new here almost every day. :)

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #9  
If gear is OK, then look at the JD 790/new model 3005.

You could get 4WD, loader, rotary mower, box blade, pallet forks, fert spreader and little stuff like a canopy, top/tilt hydraulics, etc and still be under $20,000

/ Seeking the collective wisdom of the tribe #10  
high 20's to mid 30's hp range sounds great for your spread. Since you will have many paddocks for the horses.. you don't want to get too big. also.. with 4 horses.. you may not have as much mowing as you think!

soundguy

sseelhoff said:
The wife and I bought 10 acres in Scurry, Texas. Barn is up, and tractor shed is under construction. I need to a tractor to fill the tractor shed. Here are the details:

Property has a good stand of coastal bermuda. I would like to keep it that way. Will fertilize and overseed this spring, and probably rye every fall. No intention to hay any of it, but will keep it mowed.

Soil is clay. Terrain is flat and level. The only trees on the property are the 4 apple trees and 2 bradford pears I have planted over the last month.

Driveway culvert is in, (rock over fill), and will need to build and maintain a driveway. May also put in a sand riding ring in the near future.

We have two horses, and will likely have two more (borders) in the future
I have fenced in over half of the property already. I have a few more post holes to dig, but not many.

No house in the property, but will be building and moving out there permanently in two years or so. (We have a horse trailer with living quarters that we use as our weekend "apartment." Bought it to use at horse shows, but it makes a nice little retreat for now.)

So, I'm looking for all the advice I can get about what to buy. Thoughts?