Shipping cost.

/ Shipping cost. #1  

geekfarmer

Next question. What should i expect to pay to have a tractor shiped from say, SD to OK. I see tractory listed on fastline that look good but I realy don't know what the shipping will be. any Guesses?

/ Shipping cost. #2  
geekfarmer said:
Next question. What should i expect to pay to have a tractor shiped from say, SD to OK. I see tractory listed on fastline that look good but I realy don't know what the shipping will be. any Guesses?

"Going rates" are anywhere from a low of $1.50 per "loaded mile" to as much as $2.50 per loaded mile. As fuel prices and DOT regs for haulers get less friendly, buying local becomes more attractive.

/ Shipping cost. #3  
I read about a site (BUT HAVE NOT USED) called uShip.com, I think, where you submit your request and shippers bid on the job. You might look at it or something like it.

/ Shipping cost. #4  
I used U-Ship and saved. They bundled my tractor with other deliveries and while it took longer I got my machine a lot cheaper than what the factory wanted.

Read the reviews of what people say. Don't go in blindly. And double check they are properly insured as your tractor is in the greyest area of insurance.

Carl

/ Shipping cost. #5  
geekfarmer said:

Go to uShip.com to get shipping quotes.

Right now I'm shipping an IH #8 Little Genius 2-14 trailer plow from Illinois to CA (2000 miles). Should be loaded today or tomorrow and arrive at my place next week sometime.

I paid the $6.95 for a premium listing that puts my job near the head of the list that haulers check for loads when they sign on to uShip.

I also used the "Match This Price" feature where you state your price and the first hauler who matches it gets the load.

Got 3 responses within 2 hours after I listed my job and the third hauler matched my price.

Of course, you need to know how to select the match price.

One way to do this is to link your eBay account to uShip and use the eBay search function to find a tractor similar to yours that's up for auction. Save that eBay search. Then uShip will automatically compute an estimated shipping cost that you can use to figure out what your match price should be.

/ Shipping cost. #6  
You didn't mention what type of tractor you are shipping. It will cost extra to have the load tarped. That might be important to you if it has a cab, new paint, valuable accessories, etc. If it has a cab, ask about glass breakage coverage.

Canopy?? It might not do so well at 75MPH on the interstate.

It will most likely be chained down on an open flatbed truck with possibly lumber or other freight, open and exposed to high winds, weather and items kicked up off the road by other vehicles.

You will also have to plan on taking it to their terminal so they can drive it up onto their flatbed. How will you get it home at the other end from the destination terminal?

Lots of things to consider.