New tractor or used?

/ New tractor or used? #1  

PetersonQH

Okay newbie here, with questions. I have a 13ac lot, and we currently own 6 horses with about 2.5 ac pasture, mostly for day turnout, 2ac lawn, and about 8-9ac we try and do our own hay, between job, weather, and horses in training.

I currently own a 40' AC WC45, and a 47' MM U. A NH 66 Baler, and an Oliver Rake. This equipment is getting old and it seems everytime I go to use it something else is wrong. The MM is currently out of commission due to a rear flat and steering gear has sheared a key? The AC just had a rear tire replaced and now the battery is shot. The baler works about half, as it will tie good for a while, then start giving me fits on tying. The rake needs a little TLC also.

Here is the question, I was looking at first getting a replacement for the old tractors, but don't know whether I should look at used ie: Ford 4000 or similar, or get something new, and not have any issues with the upkeep, that the older models take. I would also like to get a small haybine, and newer baler, ie NH 273 or similar, spreader, and box/scraper blade, and eventually may need a loader? I know short list huh?

I ahve discussed the pluses and minuses with the wife of having someone doing our baling for us and just getting a smaller tractor for maintenance around the property, but she sees that s throwing money out the window, and having to rely on someone else's schedule to get the hay done, shich we have missed opportunities in the past doing this, and missing a cutting.

I don't knwo if this will be a two three year purchase on some of the equipment , but I obviously don't have the dough to peuchase all this at once. What are your opinions?

Sorry so long winded!
Mark

/ New tractor or used? #2  
Mark,
I purchased a used AC 5050 about 18 years ago, 50 hp with a FEL, for about half the cost of new. Other than some cosmetic repair and oil/filters, the only money I have spent is for a new starter. I know buying used is a gamble, but you should be able to find something in the 40-60 horsepower range at a reasonable cost. Hope this helps.

/ New tractor or used? #3  
Welcome to TBN PetersonQH. I'm pretty new here too and reading your post, your setup sounds almost identical to ours. We breed/train/show Canadian Sport Horses on 20 acres in southern Ontario. We have 7 horses, and do about 8 acres of hay, all small squares, with a IH454 diesel, 7 ft. NH haybine, MF20 rake and MF124 baler. We have to buy our round bales.

The property is a narrow strip, so the 7 ft haybine is nice, plus it never breaks down due to the lower capacity. It is really the 9 footer with 2 feet cut off. The hay equipment was cheap - bought at auction, especially the baler, no one around here wants a square baler anymore so there was not much competition in the bidding. The 40.5 pto hp and hydraulic cap. of the IH454 (with Frey 2000lb FEL) has been perfectly adequate for everything I needed up intil now.

I decided that I now want 4x4 (2wd sucks for loader work), cab with heat and a/c (comfort, protection from elements, rollover) etc. No ROPS on the 454, and I need to move round bales around.

You can justify buying anything to the wife when you play the safety card.
I looked at late model used 4x4, cab, any brand but came to the conclusion that anything reasonably new with low hours was d@mn near the cost of a new one.

So we looked at new ones in the roughly 50 to 70 pto hp range. Liked Landini Power Farms, M series Kubotas, Kioti DK65, MF 3645, NH TN75 and John Deere 5603 and 5x25 series. Liked them all for their individual merits. Will likely keep the 454.

However, we ended up ordering a new JD 5425 Cab 4x4, 542 SL loader because of a special program for equestrian operations.

I gather from your handle that you raise QH's? The AQHA is one of the associations that participates in "Members Plus" special JD discount program.
As advertised, we really did get 23% discount off msrp on the cost of the 5425. We paid no more for a new one than some of the similar late model used ones listed on tractorhouse.com.
Google - "AQHA members plus"
Good luck- G

/ New tractor or used?
Yeah, sounds very similar. ours is narrow also. I kinew of the members plus progam, and the 03/05 series when I was contemplating the issue 1 1/2 yrs ago, but I believe AQHA and JD have changed it to a flat out $1000 off best made deal? I will have to look it up again.

I was also looking at the Mahindra 5500 or 5520, I don't need the cab, I enjoy the weather. Nothing like a hot day and a cold beverage, or a cold day and a hot beverage.

/ New tractor or used? #5  
I enjoy the weather too, just not the dust when mowing or baling hay, the diesel exhaust, the horse manure in the loader bucket blowing back in my face, the ozone hole over my head or looking like the abominable snowman after blowing out the lane. I agree about the beverage consumption though. ;)

/ New tractor or used?
Heywood/Dogkat

Thanks for both points of view, it's probalby really going to come down to crunching some numbers with the wishlist in front of me and then picking myself up off the floor afterwards, haha. There are god/bad about both ways, I am jsut trying to get more insight.

/ New tractor or used? #7  
I think most people without cabs will agree that they wish that they had bought a cab ( like me! ) as I'm building a custom cab. All the brands you mentioned are good, just make sure you have good dealer support, and parts are easily acquired.

/ New tractor or used? #8  
I think a used tractor is the best option if you are in the minority that can get by allright with 2wd (that means you dont need a loader, dont do much tillage, and dont have to deal with much mud or snow). 2wd is probably the way to go if hay is the primary task. If a 2wd will satisfy your needs, then used is the best option because they can be found for pennies on the dollar realitive to 4wd's due to the recent escalation in fuel prices (2wds are significantly less efficient for tillage and loader work). Many on this forum do not understand how 4wd can be more efficient, but it has to do with the energy wasted pushing the "dead" axle thru the soft ground. These high fuel prices have almost flooded the market with 2wds, many of which are in excellent condition. If you feel you need 4wd, then you may be in for a long wait to find a good used one, otherwise will probably be forced to buy new. This may ruffle some feathers, but it is beyond my understanding why anyone would consider buying a new 2wd in todays market.

/ New tractor or used? #9  
I had the same question & posted here about 6 weks ago. However, I'm in a different situation. I'm in suburbia & don't know sh*@ about tractors. For me a SCUT was appropriate. The difference between new & used was minimal. I decided to go new. As Dirty Harry used to say "A man has got to know his limitations" I know mine, wrenching on a used tractor would be a frustrating / character building experence. I don't have the time or patience for that right now.

MF is offering very compelling financing options on tractors these days (0% at 60 months). If the 1500 series would fill your needs that might be somnthing to consider.

/ New tractor or used? #10  
I would think you may be ready for a step up in tractor. The new ones are nice (real nice), but spendy. You should be able to find a 10 or less year old, 1000 hours or less JD, K, NH with 4wd and an FEL for about 2/3 to maybe 1/2 the cost of a new one. Finding exactly the size you want with 4wd, cab, the trans you want, tires you want etc will be harder.

I'd try to find the used first, then the new ones if you can't get what you want in a reasonable time.

j