Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #1  
I have searched on this forum hoping to find suggested retail prices of different compact tractors side by side, have had no success. I did scan the rules here (I said scan because I belong to many forums, different hobbies) they are pretty much the same...read before asking etc.

I did not notice any rule about price posting, but perhaps thats a rule I missed.

Would it not be great to have a up to date price comparison list of say all 27-32 hp compact tractors, for example. I surf the dealers and more often than not you have to phone or email for prices. I am only talking about suggested retail prices not actual quotes and dickering etc, JUST SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICES.

Perhaps the reason is just that it would be to time consuming for someone to do this? or is there another reason? For instance I would like to know prices of a Mahindra tractor compared to John Deere 790 4 wd with bucket etc? I am in Canada, but would be able to get the jist of pricing if there was American pricing list here...suggested retail I mean. Am waiting on a 2 day old email request from Mahindra closest dealer, for prices, he`s the only one with a website,has no prices on web but does not answer phone.

Would be nice to have comparison pricing here on a thread, so a person does not have to phone each dealer to find out.:)

Now on some forums I belong to (satellite) I would add at bottom of post...come tear me a new one:D

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #2  
I would argue that the relationship with the dealer is nearly as important as the price. If you get a Mahindra from that dealer that you can't even get to make a sale and it breaks under warranty, what kind of service do you think you'll get? There's more to it than purchase price. Most manufacturers list MSRP on their sites anyway. Only by doing the research yourself will you find what's good for you.

Oh, and if you want a new one you'll have to tear it yourself AFAIC...

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #3  
There are so many options, programs, discounts, etc. That a price sheet only really would have about half the information you'd really need to know what a tractor cost.

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #4  
Who will pay "suggested retail price" for a machine ---Nobody

If I did actually sell a machine for "suggested retail price " I would fall over backwards.

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #5  
How about a "Yeah But"? You go to a dealers lot, see a tractor that you like and ask how much is that tractor? You end up sitting there for thirty minutes while he goes through a price book and then you finally get an answer. When you then look at him like he has two heads he then adds "well that dosen't include discounts", So, you end up walking away still not knowing how much the tractor cost. Or you sit at a dealership and they end up pulling up the same web site that you can for pricing. Or the salesman can't figure out pricing, so out of kindness you give him your phone number and email and say let me know. And you still don't get a price. I don't think that these tractors are for sale, thier just there to make the lot look pretty. And I'm sorry, but the way that this world has gone, I figure that for anything other than minor warrentee work I'm going to have to fight up the ladder to get what is right.

JMO

Bake

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #6  
The prices vary by region, certainly between US and Canada.

In general, I think prices are approximately as follows for a 4wd HST tractor with FEL and bush hog or mower:

Small CUT (BX & 2305 types) -- about $12,000
CUT below 25 hp (B & 2320 types) -- about $15,000
CUT 30 hpish (2520 type and Ls) -- about $20,000

These are really round numbers and depend on tractor, region and dealer. I have some prices from 2004, but they don't really apply any more because the same models aren't being made.

Think you're better off buying from the dealer closest to you, unless he's a real turd. Chances are, he could be bought out right after you buy and his service, etc. improve. This happened at the dealership where I bought, even though the dealer wasn't bad to begin with.

Ralph

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #7  
Gee-whizz

When a customer comes on my lot and asks the price of a machine... I tell him or her.
I do not do the "friday afternoon / end of the month" discount bull. The best price right up front, no games or tricks, This has worked for me for many years.

But maby the market that I am in is much more competative than in other areas.

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #8  
If you do search, you can usually find quite a few posts that say "I just bought a xxx tractor for $18,328.42." Or something similar. Just search by the model you are interested in. Search both here and in the model specific forum.

jb

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #9  
Mahindra used to list MSRP, but it was so often hundreds or even a couple thousand dollars higher than actual price, depending on the model of course. As Virgil said, they don't sell for list. So it really behooves the customer to get local pricing. And a dealer that can't give you a price immediately or that won't return email isn't trying very hard to get your business. One suggestion though, if you email for price, tell him your location, your usage if it will effect sales tax, whether you are a cash buyer, whether you want delivery etc. That way you can get an accurate quote with all applicable rebates.

/ Why is there no thread with actual pricing of say, different compact tractors #10  
I remember when shopping for my tractor, I stumbled across a site that had such a feature. You were supposed to post a review of what you bought, how much you paid and from where. When I pretty much decided on the BX24, I ran though the list. I have two Kubota dealers, both 25 miles from me. I found two "reviews" about the one dealer, about 1 yr apart. Price was consistent and both gave good reviews. Before I went to that dealer, went to the county fair where the other dealer had his stuff on display - right next to the local JD dealer. Both dealers had laminated price tags on their stuff so I was able to compare head to head (JD was about 3K higher, so it cemented my choice). The Kubota dealer was in the same range as the one I read about online, so I stopped by their shop the following week - intending to hit the other one as well. But I was so impressed with the salesman and the others in the shop, the wife and I went to lunch, discussed it (she liked the place too) and came right back. I didn't haggle the sticker, or even balk at it, and he still threw in a thumb, toothbar, and filled tires. So far service has been great.
I digress - I did like the site that posted this info - it was interesting to see the price disparity across the country - but it is also frustrating to see that a dealer 300 miles away is $2k cheaper. To me the fair was the best way to go - and the fact they had the "guts" to put on price stickers. I think I would have balked at a dealer that wasn't willing to display a price on a machine assembled on their lot or couldn't rattle off a quote. The real dealing comes in if you're buying implements and options as well. I'm guessing that's why dealers don't want to post prices to scare people away before they have the opportunity to show what they can offer in terms of "value". But I also agree it would be nice to have a base price to measure against, similar to car dealers with their "Starting at" or "Comfortably equipped" price ads.