Which one is the best buy.

/ Which one is the best buy. #1  

geekfarmer

I am looking for a tractor with between 30 and 50 HP. Live PTO and PS is a must. FEL would be nice. Not big on buying sight unseen. I live in Oklahoma City and am willing to drive about 60 miles. 120 If I know the tractor was a real good deal. Have found the following. Which does the group think is the best buy.

Ford 1920
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5289828&guid=13be7cacbb3542379cf922fda1597c7a

Ford 1920 with attachments

http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5254674&guid=13be7cacbb3542379cf922fda1597c7a

MF 65
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5261728&guid=13be7cacbb3542379cf922fda1597c7a

Ford 1010RS
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5273180&guid=13be7cacbb3542379cf922fda1597c7a

MH 135
http://www.tractorhouse.com/listings/detail.aspx?OHID=5241159&guid=13be7cacbb3542379cf922fda1597c7a

/ Which one is the best buy. #2  
This seems to me to be a question to which none of us could give a really valid answer. First, we'd need to know exactly what use you'll make of the tractor, how good are you at doing maintenance yourself, or is there a good dealer for which brand in your area, how much of the time will the tractor be used, how much can you afford, etc.

I guess the simple answer is that the best one is the one you like best and can afford.

That being said, the one I like best by far is the second 1920, low hours, FEL, brush hog, and box blade. Those are all implements I just would hate to be without. I know you said a FEL would be "nice"; most of us consider it almost indispensible.

Of course one thing that stands out is that all those tractors are 2WD and I think nearly anyone will tell you that a FEL works best on 4WD unless you get into larger and heavier tractors. Even so, personally, that's the one I'd take, given the choices you've listed.

Your mileage may vary.;)

/ Which one is the best buy. #3  
As Bird said, it depends on your uses. If you don't need the FEL, which you WOULD find need for if you had one, I'd try to get them down on the price of the first one.

My ex-paw-in-law had passed on and left one that I used around their place when I was unfortunately married to his daughter. I didn't know him but he had taken good care of it and it ran like a top for bushhogging, finish mowing, and some pretty heavy box blade work. It surprised me for a smaller tractor. Probably would've been a great tractor for gardens, too.

/ Which one is the best buy. #4  
Definitely the second 1920 with implements. Unfortunately, no pic. See if you can contact owner for a pic at least.

Vic

/ Which one is the best buy.
Good point Bird. I am new at this, as if you can't tell. I am the owner of 5 acars. For the past 4 years I have been maintaining it with a 1948 8N. I want to upgrade to somthing with PS and live PTO. I little about me, I have CMT which is a degenerativ nerve desease. Basically I am slowly lossing the use of my arms and legs:( . I don't want to rase cattle or do any major farming. Just want to enjoy the land as long as I can. I do have a small (30 X 50) garden and a green house. Have about 400 ft gravel drive to maintain (I use a Box blade from the neighbor up the street). Rent a tractor that has a FEL when I need to spread more gravel ($190/day).

/ Which one is the best buy. #6  
You can certainly continue as you're doing; i.e., borrow a box blade and rent a tractor with a FEL when necessary, but if you ever get your own FEL, you'll wonder how you ever did without it. A neighbor farmed and ranched without a FEL for many, many years, then finally bought an old International with a FEL and told me if he'd known what he was missing, he'd have bought one 30 years earlier.

And I wish I was near enough to Marlow, OK, to go look at that tractor simply because 52 years ago I was living in Marlow and liked that little town better than any place we lived when I was growing up.:D I took drivers education in my sophomore year in high school and got my first drivers license in Marlow.

/ Which one is the best buy. #7  
You are compairing some new and old tractors. While the MF 65 is old.. it's a big powerhouse. the 135 is newer.. but again.. still old.

The 1920's are newer vintage.. but the one with all the implements like Bird mentiond is my favorite.. etc.

And yes.. FEL use becomes much better with PS and 4x4.. can be usefull without it.. but all the same.. you will want it if you use the fel alot.

what do you plan on your tasks being?

soundguy

/ Which one is the best buy. #8  
Being a BIG TIME fan of the 100 series Massey's, I'm a LITTLE biased. A tough act to beat. BUT.... If the serial number listed is correct, it's not a 1974 model, but a 1967. (shows 9A 19409)

May be simply missing one digit. Serial # for 1974 models started with 9A 182761

Otherwise, VERY low hours, not an extreme bargain, but not a bad price for a low houred late model 135, especially if it's a diesel.

/ Which one is the best buy. #9  
Check out Craigslist in OKC. There are some listed there recently inclucing a very nice sounding Kubota package that only has 75 hrs on it. It might be more money than you are thinking though. Equipment Trader online also has some tractors listed near you on there.

/ Which one is the best buy. #10  
I agree with most that the second 1920 should be an excellent purchase for you. I've been running a 2120 (next size up from the 1920 in same fameily) since 1987 with virtually no problems.

Good luck in your choice. I would also add that I don't think you'l have any regrets with 5 acres getting a FEL.

Andy