Kubota...Kioti????

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #21  
I bought used Kioti due to pricing and ergonomics, resale was not an issue. At the moment, Kubota does sport a better resale. From the dealers I have talked with, Kioti is increasing the number of tractors and parts a dealer must stock in an effort to try to weed out the smaller, less productive, dealers. Can't say I agree with their thinking, I have known some great mom & pop shops. But I think that is a large reason for some of the Kioti dealers shutting their doors. My nearest good dealer is 100 miles away, there are several great dealers here on TBN that will help out at the drop of a phone call. That is one of the things that gave me the warm fuzzy's for going the Kioti route. Both brands are good machines, you need to go test the machine, and the dealer, before you make a decision. There are some great machines in green, blue and red colors as well, hopefully you are considering them too. You should at least check them out carefully to learn of the differences and see what you like and don't like.

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #22  
Resale Value depends on the area.
I have sold 4 used Kiotis in the last year.
All 4 had very good return for the age and usage they had had.
Another thing that is going to effect resale is the financing options.
A few years ago Kiots best rate was 6.99 for 48 months now it is 4.99 for 48-60-72.
This does make a difference.

BTI

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #23  
ChesapeakeMarine,
You really can't go wrong with just about any color tractor you get these days. Competition is stiff in the smaller tractor market, this ensures a reasonable amount of quality built in. Kubota is a fine tractor, yes, but everything I've heard about the Kioti has been good (see disclaimer below*).

*Of course, you have to factor in the fact that by human nature, people USUALLY don't 'fess up to having made a rotten purchase...kind of makes 'em look stupid. Nobody wants to look and feel stupid! With that being said:

1. Figure out what size tractor you'd be happy with.
2. Figure out a budget (if you have one).
3. Shop around, look at all the smaller tractor brands, they all have foreign engines anyway, well except Kubota, they don't import an engine, they build their own. I'm not sure if Kioti makes their own or not!
4. Ask around about the dealer...this makes a difference. A crappy dealer can ruin your day...especially when it comes to getting some maintenance done...either routine or otherwise!:eek:
5. Talk to friends with tractors, or friends of friends that have tractors. Having a cold beer or other cold beverage while having a foot propped up on the tire might get you some feedback worthwhile! See disclaimer above!
6. Buy one and post some pics, we love pics of shiny new tractors!

Good luck and have fun. The thing I miss most about shopping for a tractor is actually shopping for a tractor.

Podunk

Last edited:
   / Kubota...Kioti???? #24  
Kioti makes their own engine(except 65 and 90 and they are Perkins motors), transmission, axles etc.
They make 90% of the tractor themselves.
Them and Kubota are the only 2 that do this, in compacts, as far as I know.

BTI

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #25  
Po-The Kubota engine is an import none-the-less.

BTI

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #26  
Podunkadunk said:
ChesapeakeMarine,
You really can't go wrong with just about any color tractor you get these days. Competition is stiff in the smaller tractor market, this ensures a reasonable amount of quality built in. Kubota is a fine tractor, yes, but everything I've heard about the Kioti has been good (see disclaimer below*).

*Of course, you have to factor in the fact that by human nature, people USUALLY don't 'fess up to having made a rotten purchase...kind of makes 'em look stupid. Nobody wants to look and feel stupid! With that being said:

1. Figure out what size tractor you'd be happy with.
2. Figure out a budget (if you have one).
3. Shop around, look at all the smaller tractor brands, they all have foreign engines anyway, well except Kubota, they don't import an engine, they build their own. I'm not sure if Kioti makes their own or not!
4. Ask around about the dealer...this makes a difference. A crappy dealer can ruin your day...especially when it comes to getting some maintenance done...either routine or otherwise!:eek:
5. Talk to friends with tractors, or friends of friends that have tractors. Having a cold beer or other cold beverage while having a foot propped up on the tire might get you some feedback worthwhile! See disclaimer above!
6. Buy one and post some pics, we love pics of shiny new tractors!

Good luck and have fun. The thing I miss most about shopping for a tractor is actually shopping for a tractor.

Podunk

Just want to second what Podunk says. The first thing I did when looking was find what dealers were within reasonable distance regardless of brand. Then I researched the brands and dealer reputations. Have heard good things about Kioti, but unfortunately there are no dealers close to me. Ended up at a dealer that sold Kubota and Mahindra. Went with Mahindra because like a previous poster comparing Kubota and Kioti, the Mahindra looked well built, is liked by other owners, but is less expensive than the Kubota. Have not regretted my choice, and the dealer has been great to do business with. Good luck with whatever you choose.

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #27  
Builder said:
Even if Kubota is lighter in frames and axles, I don't hear of them breaking frames & axles. It is possible that higher quality metallurgy and tensile strength metals are used in place of cheaper heavier castings.

You know, I've wondered this myself. I often see a brand A tractor with similar capabilities being heavier than brand B. Brand A typically tends to be the lesser known brand and brand A's loyalists tend to argue that it is obviously stronger.

I have no clue whether this is true or not but I'd love to hear opinions on how important weight is when measuring strength for two otherwise similarly speced machines.

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #28  
canoetrpr said:
You know, I've wondered this myself. I often see a brand A tractor with similar capabilities being heavier than brand B. Brand A typically tends to be the lesser known brand and brand A's loyalists tend to argue that it is obviously stronger.

I have no clue whether this is true or not but I'd love to hear opinions on how important weight is when measuring strength for two otherwise similarly speced machines.

I've wondered that too. Is the weight really added strength or is it just lower strength metal that is thicker to give the same spec. The only new tractor I ever saw break a major casting was JD 6410(2wd). My neighbor was doing light FEL work moving shavings into a barn when his front axle collapsed. the tractor at the time had less than 100 hrs on it. JD said it was a fault in the casting. That was over 2000 hrs ago and the replacement is doing great.

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #29  
chh said:
I've wondered that too. Is the weight really added strength or is it just lower strength metal that is thicker to give the same spec. The only new tractor I ever saw break a major casting was JD 6410(2wd). My neighbor was doing light FEL work moving shavings into a barn when his front axle collapsed. the tractor at the time had less than 100 hrs on it. JD said it was a fault in the casting. That was over 2000 hrs ago and the replacement is doing great.

Looks can be deceiving.

I know for a fact that thicker steel of lower quality can be weaker than high quality lighter steel. Just look at grades/sizes of transpost chain. The best grade #70 3/8" transpost chain is stronger than cheap chinese 7/16" transport chain.

Now the actual weight (as in pounds) of the tractor, even if cheaper quality, thicker steel is used, may still be beneficiary to the end user since the extra weight makes for more stability/ ballast. I for one would rather be able to "adjust" my ballast with weights making the tractor more versatile, but a little more expensive.

/ Kubota...Kioti???? #30  
I was once told by a Kioti dealer that originally they were built under some sort of licensing arrangement with Kubota that explained the color similarity. I have always wondered if there was any truth to this.