Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #1  

G-force

Tractor
2008 Kubota B2620
Let me first start off by saying, I have never bought or owned a tractor. I am as green as it gets on the subject.

I have been reading around, and I have searched, but I figured I could start a new thread with some pictures of my specific needs.

We live on 5 acres. I would estimate at least 2-3 acres being sloping fields of brush that gets as tall as 4-5 ft in the spring and summer time. I will probably be clearing these fields 2-3 times a year as well as doing other small tasks around the property. Nothing major.

My concern is that the incline of some of our fields is so steep that a tractor will not be stable or safe traveling on some of the more extreme sloped areas.

Here are a few pictures of my land for reference. I took them today. Believe me when I tell you it is alot steeper than it looks. When it is wet, it is very hard to walk down without slipping. My ATV can even be a little scary going up it. I am an experienced ATV rider, and I would never ride sideways on some of the slopes.
IMG_4705.jpg

IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4708.jpg

IMG_4709.jpg

I have been looking at the JD 2320 and 3X20 tractors with HST. Specifically the 2320 with 200x front loader and tow behind rotary cutter. I have found a local deal on this machine with only 35 hours and am really considering pulling the trigger on it. Do you think this machine could handle my tasks?

I appreciate any feedback I can get.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #2  
Welcome to TBN!! For a first post, it's a good one.

Most tractors have ajustable wheels that you can make wider. When talking to your dealer, find out which tractors has the ability to go the widest on your wheel settings. I've seen the four big names doing some pretty extreme cutting along our highways and right of ways, so I know they are all capable of what you have. Deere, Kubota, Massey and New Holland. The other brands should be able to do it too, but those are the ones I've seen personally.

What are your other objectives with a tractor? Loader? Fence posts? Grading? If it's strictly mowing a few times a year, I might consider one of the pull behind mowers for ATV's. You already know your fourwheeler can handle the slope, so it wouldn't be that big a deal to put it to work pulling a mower. Swisher or DR both make them, though I don't know if one is better then the other. I've thought about getting one, or making something similar for mowing around the edge of my lake due to the steepness and wet conditions.

Eddie

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #3  
Hi all, first post but a long time lurker.

G-force your land looks similar to mine except mine has more trees.

I recently purchased a Yanmar 2220D for putting in food plots and for general garden work. The Yanny replaced my old Ferguson TO 30. Although the Ferguson is a good old tractor it does not compare to the Yanny on the hills.

Anything that is "scary" on your ATV will certainly be dangerous on your tractor, no matter what size or make it is. I know this from experience as I also have a Polaris 500 Sportsman that will handle the slopes and hills way better than any tractor. The ATV will have very different handling characteristics than a tractor because of the lower center of gravity.

On the first couple of pics that you show I would be very hesitant to use my tractor on. If it were a have to case I guess you could go up and down but absolutley no side hilling. Also remember that any attatchment, FEL, box scrape, disc, mower, etc. will change the handling characteristics of your tractor.

The best advice I can give is to just use common sense but always err on the side of safety. If and when you do buy a tractor go slow and learn as you go. Also, from looking at your pics a 4X4 tractor is a must.

Good luck to ya!!!

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #4  
I'd try 2 horses and an ATV mower.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #5  
Welcome!! You will find this website very handy for all types of questions! I agree with EddieWalker a wide wheel base would be safer. Also if it were me I would look for a hydro instead of a gear tractor. I think I would feel more comfortable with a hydro on a hill. I own a gear tractor now and when I operate the clutch on an incline it makes me nervous.:eek: Buy used! I did twice! Got two great tractors that I still own today!:D But do your homework, and don't be a compulsive buyer, there are a lot good deals out there. Check tractorhouse.com

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #6  
That machine (with 4WD) should be fine....You didn't say but I would think it would have a 4 foot cutter which should work well with PTO hp range....good luck.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #7  
Looks like nice grass, I'd use the 2 horse method too, except for Laminitis worries in the Spring.

Just plan your hill operations so that you do not have turn on the hill. Up to the top, straight back down or make your turns on the flatter top if possible.

Not to be safety police but use your seatbelt and ROPS on that hill!

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing.
What is the 2 horse method?

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #9  
Does the tractor you want to buy have R-1 AG tires on it? I'd make sure it hase them so you don't go into an uncontrolled slide even if you're going up & down the slope, forget sideways. Once she starts sliding, it gets ugly.

I'd also suggest a hydrostatic tranny for really good control.

Common sense would say don't even cut when the ground is damp.

/ Help selecting a tractor for steep brush clearing. #10  
G-force said:
What is the 2 horse method?

I think the guys are just saying if you had horses you wouldn't have to mow it and that in turn would make it safer! The 2 goat method would also work! :D