My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310)

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #1  

Airic

Silver Member
Tractor
GC2310
I think I致e made my decision to purchase the GC2310 TLB based upon build and operation of this tractor. Now I'm new to this whole tractor thing so you may want to take this review with a grain of salt, just my amateur observations. I test drove the Kub BX24 and JD 2305, both were very nice but the Massey seems to be just one step above in regards to functions, build, and operation. Note, I did not dig one spoon full of dirt so this is just looking, driving, and moving every lever I could. It could be me but, it felt that the Massey FL and BH had a smoother and faster motion than the others.

It痴 funny how it all came down in regards to price as it matched my ratting (MF 1st, JD 2nd, Kub 3rd) of these three TLB tractors, you get what you pay slogan. I'm not really a believer in this and I still somewhat question the MF resale over the Kub and JD due to their great reputation and following but, I'm not really concerned as I expect to own it for life. Rather than picking the pros I am listing what I saw were some of the cons to the JD and Kub that leaned my to the MF. I did not expect this what so ever and at first I was drooling over the Kub, then I next looked at the JD and was more impressed due to the extra loading weight capacity and its slightly larger stature. Lastly I looked at the Massey but kept going back to the others for another close observation.

JD 2305
Not liquid cooled engine (Kub and MF are)
Radiator is in the front and susceptible to clogging and overheating the engine. (Kub and MF face the driver to eliminate less clogging and potential damage from FL oppses)
Limited Category 1 hitch (Kub and MF are and the 3 point stays on the tractor. JD you have to install 3 point when switching from BH)
Mostly Plastic body panels, hood is metal
Backhoe is not fully integrated into the tractor frame. (Kub and MF are)
Hydro filter exposed in front of back tires.
No folding ROPs. (Kub and MF do)

Kub BX24
All plastic body panels.
frame and FL mounts appear to be lesser gage steal than MF and JD.
Lightest of the bunch and slightly smaller. (JD and MF are very similar)
Lowest FL and BH load ratting. (JD and MF are very similar)
Hydro filter exposed in front of back tires.
Single FL bucket piston (JD and MF have two. I think more is better but, I知 not sure really)

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #2  
Kubotas are always lighter than Deeres and most of the other big companies. They're also usually smaller in stature. I really believe Kubota thinks that's a virtue, not a fault.

You can go back through history and look at a lot of other Japanese companies in the past and they collectively seem to have a passion for and philosophy of building their engines & machines smaller and lighter for efficiency, not as some way to necessarily "cheapen" the machine.

Deere, Kubota & Massey build fantastic stuff. That's why they're the leaders in their industry.

You've selected 3 excellent tractors to compare.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #3  
Interesting review, thanks for posting. Which did you think was the quietest at operating RPM? You might also want to look in the Massey Ferguson forum for some input on the new CG2400/CG2410 that are soon replacing the CG2310. (I do think the JD2305 uses a liquid cooled engine)

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #4  
2305 is definately liquid cooled.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #5  
If I was in the market right now, I would wait until March to see the newly to be released 2410. After they are out, you also may be able to get a sweetheart of a deal if you can live hte the 2310. I know that I can live with my 2310, but I still have to look at he 2410.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #6  
"Not liquid cooled engine (Kub and MF are)
Radiator is in the front "

Lost me here. I believe a radiator indicates that the machine is water cooled. You wouldn't go wrong with any of these.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310)
I stand corrected, the JD2305 is liquid cooled. I'm not sure why I was thinking it was not and I even saw and commented on the radiator. Sort of one of those duh moments when reading tydp's comment.

I also have to say they are all really good machines and it does come down to personal preferences, fit and feel, and dealer support. It's only minor things that separate these machines and to what your purpose and task in mind is that may put one above the other.

In regards to the waiting until the 2410 comes out. After some reading and talking with the dealer I don't see any real big benefits to the 2410 over the 2310 other than esthetics and a bit of a re org of levers and peddles. The 2410 will also be more expensive and not carry any of the finance incentives. I've read about peoples comments in regards to the rocker peddle and I actually like it. I didn't use my heal for reverse, I actual preferred to toe up from under the peddle.

As for quietest at operating speed, I really don't know. They all seemed to be very quiet, especially compared to my Hustler 27HP Kohler ZTR. I was also inside a warehouse when driving the GC2310.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #8  
I like the rocker pedal and think I would prefer it over the new two pedal setup on the 2410. However, having the brake on the left side would definately be an advantage.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #9  
Over a year ago, I was comparing the EXACT same three tractors. I debated about which one to buy for months. I read almost this entire forum and asked all kinds of stupid questions. :D

I operated all three at the dealerships although I never did any real digging. I negotiated price on all three of them. The KUB and MF were almost the same price and the JD was about $2500 more. :eek:

Read around the MF forum and you'll find many comparisons between these same three tractors. One guy even made a spreadsheet showing all of the different features of each.

I bought the MF2310TLB and I've NEVER regretted it. I spent about two hours on it today clearing off a little land.

/ My Sub Compact "TLB" Review (BX24, JD 2305, and MF GC2310) #10  
When you dig with your subcompact TLB you will quickly learn that because these tractors are small and light, it can be sometimes difficult to dig with them. I have operated all kinds of backhoes and I am sure, being heavier is better for backhoe operation. And its probably better, for front end loader operation. I think the 2310 is the best combination of size, weight, and power, for estate maintainence. It also has the least amount of plastic.
I am very happy with my 2310, it has turf tires, and leaves a very light foot print on my lawn, yet I can grade and plow snow, with ease.