How Big of a Tractor do I Need?

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #1  

BGM72

Tractor
New Holland TC18
I am new to the forum and new to tractors so I need some help. My first dilema is to get suggestions on how big of a tractor I need. I recently bought a house on Lake Ontario. I have 75' W by 150' L of sand beach. The sand drifts like snow against the house. I need to pull the sand away from the house and then relevel it. This will need to be done a couple of times a year. However the main summer use will be raking the sand weekly. In the winter I will use the tactor to plow or snow blow. In the future I will also need to do some work on a retaining features (diging small trenches and moving rocks).

After doing a little research and reading the posts I have narrowed it down to two groups 1) JD 4200, Kubota B7500 and NH TC21 2) JD 4200, Kubota 2410, and NH TC25.

Does anyone use their tractor for a similar application? Any recomendations or suggestions are appreciated.

I am sure I will have more questions after this but it seems to be the right starting point.

Thanks!!!!

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #2  
Hello BGM, I live in Ontario as well(Fergus) anyways any brand with 20 to 28 hp and 4 wheel drive will do the trick ,You will need ag tires to for the sand.So i guess it comes down to what brand you like/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif We have a Jinma 284(From China)
28 hp 4x4 around $8500 cnd brand new.It works well,But you have to be tool handy as they do have to be tinkered with now and then.I'm sure one of the more knowledgable guys will help you out, Bye

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #3  
Sounds to me like you are looking at the right size range tractor for what you described. As Redfisher said 20 to 30 hp with 4x4 should do the job. I do think that the 4x4 will be a must for your sand. Having never played in the sand I am not sure if Ag tires or turf’s would be better. We use to run wide tires for floatation on 4 wheel drive Jeeps in the N. Florida sand. There are also extra wide turf tires available if you find that local knowledge says turf tires are better.

MarkV

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #4  
I suggest tractor buyers list every potential job they might want to do and then list the implements required for those jobs. Consider the each implement'ssize, weight and pto hp requirement if any.

Once you have that info, you can figure out the tractor pto hp and then go from there. It's possible to buy too small a tractor and too large of a tractor for the implements you might buy later. Some implements restrict the pto hp which means you may not be able to easily buy an implement of that type if your tractor exceeds the hp required by the implement.

Beyond a certain hp, you may find that implement isn't made.

If you're planning on using a back blade, consider the size. An 8 or 9' blade will pull a lot of sand, but you'll need a
larger tractor to move a 1500 lb. or so blade. Grading anything with a back blade gets interesting if you don't have
at hydraulic tilt on the blade. That feature may not be available on a light 5 or 6' blade.

I'd do some research on tire types. On loose sand, skinny ag tires might dig in and spin. Wet packed sand shouldn't be a problem.

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #5  
R-1's or R-4's will work on sand, I wouldn't even consider turfs as you get any load on a rear implement and they spin. Sand is great for leveling with a rake and I would get the largest ag tires whatever machine you pick will allow. If you plan on mowing any yard with it then the R-4's might be more universal but they have trouble in sand at times as well. I live right along Lake Erie and all the tractors I see along the beach that do what you want to do all have ag's even the beach clubs who use their tractors almost everyday run ags. The one I was watching the other day for Sunset Bay beach club looks like a NH 1920 with FWD and a loader. They were cleaning up the beach getting ready for the club to open in may. I think the TC 25 would be a good tractor to do what you want but for as small a beach you have to maintain the TC 21 would do it as well and take up a little less space. Beaches are a lot of fun especially after winter cleanup. Have fun.

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #6  
as u know sand is prety heavy, so u might want to stay in the mid20 hp range, also what everelse you ned to do with the tractor should also play a part in the size u need.as for tires i would guess ag's or at least r4's.

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #7  
I believe you are in the right range for a tractor. I would highly recommend fwd. Remember wet sand is mud. I think industrial tires are the most universal. Ags would be the best for that but they are tough on the yard. Industrials are a good comproise.

I believe I would not wear my seatbelt when working around water./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif My opinion would like to hear what others think.

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #8  
<font color=blue>I believe I would not wear my seatbelt when working around water. My opinion would like to hear what others think. </font color=blue>

I would wear it,As it would keep you from being traped under the tractor or knocked out,So as long as you can undue it under water your still alive.

/ How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #9  
Depending on your budget, I would start with the tractor pictured, and work my way back down to as much horsepower as I could justify to the household CFO/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Attachments

• 46-129532-35-51037-My_dream_tractor.jpg
    46-129532-35-51037-My_dream_tractor.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 7,197
   / How Big of a Tractor do I Need? #10  
Heck, he doesn't have enough beach to park that thing on, however it would do what he wants but might not be so forgiving if he accidentaly clipped his house while pulling sand away from it.