Looking for advice-buying first tractor

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #1  

GregginIowa

Does anyone know anything about Tractor King tractors? I've been looking at them at an Iowa farm store chain (Theisen's) for a few years now, and I'm ready to buy my first tractor. They are not out on display right now, but if memory serves they are around 22 hp, 4 wd, and come with loader for about 10k. There is a slightly larger one (25 hp?) that runs about 12k with loader. I can't remember type of fuel or much else except I believe they are Chinese-made. Can anyone tell me anything about these in terms of relaibility, performance, repair availability, etc.?

I'm certainly not married to these things, I've just seen and admired them. I'm open to some sort of used tractor with loader (hopefully 2003 or later model) and don't want to spend more than about 13-14k. Any advice on my purchase as to brand, model, what to look for, etc would be greatly appreciated. I saw a real nice used Massey 2005 model, 28 horse with loader on Iron Search with only 147 hours for 13k. It's located only about 90 miles from me. Would I be better off with something like this? Any advice appreciated!!

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #2  
Your budget will buy you a 21 hp Kubota 7510, and maybe a 24hp Kubota B7610, Kioti CK20, Mahindra 2015(with money left over), all with loaders. Frankly, I would prefer any of these to the tractor you are looking at. I think if the Massey looks good, that also is a better buy. All these tractors I suggested come with tractor dealership service, and that is quite important if you are new to tractors especially. Good luck in your search, and have fun! Let us know what you choose...

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #3  
And there are really good buys right now on the TYM T233 and T273. The T273 is an awesome 27 hp tractor, I think being offered right now for $12K with a QA loader. IMHO it's the best buy of those mentioned so far.

I looked at a 28 hp MF (2815 I think) with loader and backhoe, 300 hours. Dealer was asking $14500 for it. Based on that, $13K for one without a backhoe is a bit high, I think. It is a good tractor though.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #4  
Gregg,

I got the following prices for new Kubotas. It is a new model that is just coming out and info is somewhat hard to come by.

B2320 (23 HP Hydro)
Loader
Mid Mount Mower

Total - $14,400 without tax

B2520 (25 HP Hydro)
Loader
MMM

Total - $15,300 without tax

If you dropped the mower ( around $2,100) I think you would be about in your price range. I have also looked at the JD 2320 and 2520 and really liked them.

JD 2320 (23 HP hydro)
Loader
Mid Mount mower

Total - $16,900 without tax

I think that the mower was about $2,600, so this could also be around your price range.

I really liked the Kubotas and the JD and will probably get a Kubota B2320. All were nice but the Kubota B2320 fits my needs pretty well and the price seems pretty fair. I'm going through about the same thing as you. My recommendation is to go to all or several of the dealers and talk with them. Spend some time driving the tractors. It is fun and you will find the infor very valuable in your decision:) Good luck and let us know what you choose.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #5  
The John Deere 2305 with loader is about $12,500. It's 24hp with a limited cat 1 hitch - just means it only lifts about 650 lbs on the rear - loader lifts 1100. The 2320 is about 15K -same engine and a bit larger with full cat 1 and more ground clearance. You can get backhoes, mid-mount mowers, snow blowers, etc for both of them. Of course you'll want to load the rear tires for loader work on any compact tractor and carry some additional rear weight like a box scraper or weights (more money). These Deere's are built in the Augusta, GA if that matters to you. Note that the smaller Kubotas have lighter loader capacities of around 600-800 lbs, which is one of the reasons I didn't get one. If you're going to move dirt and gravel, get more loader capacity. Some of the Chinese tractors have it at around 1000 lbs - depends on the loader they put on them though.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #6  
I'm not going to knock the chinese tractors.. after all.. they are cheaper than domestics .. and with that cost savings comes a few issues.. like dealer and aprts support, warranty, and perhaps having to do some wrench turning yourself... kinda like owning an antique tractor.. etc..

If you can get a low hour new-ish domestic for near same $$.. go for it.

soundguy

GregginIowa said:
Does anyone know anything about Tractor King tractors? I've been looking at them at an Iowa farm store chain (Theisen's) for a few years now, and I'm ready to buy my first tractor. They are not out on display right now, but if memory serves they are around 22 hp, 4 wd, and come with loader for about 10k. There is a slightly larger one (25 hp?) that runs about 12k with loader. I can't remember type of fuel or much else except I believe they are Chinese-made. Can anyone tell me anything about these in terms of relaibility, performance, repair availability, etc.?

I'm certainly not married to these things, I've just seen and admired them. I'm open to some sort of used tractor with loader (hopefully 2003 or later model) and don't want to spend more than about 13-14k. Any advice on my purchase as to brand, model, what to look for, etc would be greatly appreciated. I saw a real nice used Massey 2005 model, 28 horse with loader on Iron Search with only 147 hours for 13k. It's located only about 90 miles from me. Would I be better off with something like this? Any advice appreciated!!

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #7  
I certainly wouldn't knock those tractors either, or less popular brands in general if they truly cost less. I've been looking for a while too, and since I'm retired, I don't want to spend a lot of extra money. The problem that I have found is that
A: The prices really aren't that much less
B: Often the dedicated implements are more costly, making the package more expensive than a Kubota, or Deere for example.
C: If you sell it at some point, the real cost of ownership is going to be more.

In my looking, I keep coming back to the same total package price, or so close that it doesn't really matter. Often, one implement will cost much more than the difference in cost between brands.... even Chinese.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #8  
GregginIowa said:
Any advice appreciated!!

GregginIowa,

Welcome to TBN.

What tasks will you be using your new tractor for ??

Vic

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #9  
If you have a Mahindra dealer near, they have a 2525 model coming out.
Chinese made in a plant they purchased. From what we've heard, they spent alot of time and money bringing up to par and is supposedly selling near the $ you are seeing.

/ Looking for advice-buying first tractor #10  
GregginIowa said:

Welcome to TBN. There is a lot of good advice here, but it would be better if we had a little more information on what size of property and your uses for the tractor. I hope you get the answers you need and are looking for.:)