Old tractor recommendations

/ Old tractor recommendations #31  
While the 134ci engine in the NAA/6XX wasn't much of an upgrade fro the weight.. if you bumped to the 172ci engine on the 8XX you more than made up fro it by jumping into the high 40's pto hp. Unfortunately as Bob young points out.. at about 50 hp.. gassers get hungry. my ford 850 drinks gas pretty good.. I know a guy with a ford 5000 gas.. something like a 233ci engine... high 60's pto hp.. and you can hardly keep the gas tank full!

soundguy

wolc123 said:
An easy, cheap fix to most of the troubles you have without live pto is an over running coupler (cost around $70). This will allow the pto to free spin when the clutch is engaged and keep the mower from pushing the tractor. A late model 8n with one of these is real handy on a 5 foot mower, although it still lacks live hydraulics (will not lift with clutch depressed). I would not hesitate to reccomend a 51 or 52 8n, and certainly no tractor before or after has better parts availability. There are so many of these around that it is easy to find one in good condition within your budget. I would not consider a 9n as they lacked "position" control which is tough for mowing and only had 3 speeds vs the 4 on the 8n, and I would also avoid the earlier 8n's with the front distributer. I had a Ford 2000 (diesel) and 3000 (gas), and they also would work for you but would be a little over your budget and parts are a little tougher to get. Both of these had quite a bit more power on the pto than my 51 8n, but could not pull much, if any, more on the drawbar. As long as you dont put a loader on it or do much disking of fresh plowed ground, the 8n's lack of power steering is not that big of a handicap. Those old machines had the smoothest steering of any non-power unit I have operated. I, and many others, consider the 51 and 52 8n's to be the high water mark of Ford designed tractors. I think they lost too much power/weight ratio and got overweight and clumsy with the Jubilee/600's, plus lost some durability on the hydraulics to gain a little convenience with the live system.

/ Old tractor recommendations #32  
I don't know about parts but I use to work for a farmer who had a Oliver 550 gas... ran all mowers, square baler with a wagon behind it on hilly ground... It was his only tractor. I still have farmers next door who run Oliver row crop tractors, IE Oliver 66's, 77's 88's and 770's diesels.

mark

/ Old tractor recommendations #33  
I'll sell you a gas fordson major (real nice) for $2500 ,Ill keep the diesels (3 of them now).....Dam'n unreliable gas...That'l start a war...HaHaHa

/ Old tractor recommendations #34  
I wouldn't characterize 'gassers' as unreliable.. in general.. they are a bit easier to work on by the casual untrained owner.

The average joe can change spark plugs and points, and blow out a carb...

Servicing injectors and an injector pump are not ' joe shade mechanic' duties.. especially due to some of the special tools needed for compression checks and pump /injector pressure setting and pop settings.. etc.

soundguy

/ Old tractor recommendations #36  
Greg,

Here are two other kinds:

An independant PTO (IPTO) is independant of the travel clutch. Usually it is a hydraulically engaged wet pack in the power train to the rear PTO. Some of the compact tractors also have belly PTOs but they use the same IPTO pack and a second gearset.

There are some econony L Kubotas (L2800/3400) that use overrunning clutches with dog engagements and no wet packs. They are in or out - little modulation other than the throttle. They work fine but they make a noise that some find objectionable when disengaged and the implement winds down. There is no damage being done but it sounds like a slot machine or bicycle when coasting.

The advantage of the PTO being independant of the travel clutch is that the drive to the implement can be engaged or disengaged at will. You also get no flywheel effect from the implement, like you do on some of the older rigs, as in the prior posting.

Good luck!

/ Old tractor recommendations
It almost seems like it would be better (and more fun...) to build my own wide self-powered brush mower to tow with my Kubota. Or maybe build a stand-alone machine instead?

Greg

/ Old tractor recommendations #38  
Get a wisconsin engine of an old baler, and weld it up to a brush hog deck and go for it.. post plenty of pic's.

soundguy

/ Old tractor recommendations
Soundguy said:
Get a wisconsin engine of an old baler, and weld it up to a brush hog deck and go for it.. post plenty of pic's.

soundguy

I have a Graymarine 4-112 (marinized Wisconsin Y-112) in the garage waiting for a rebuild; maybe I should use it for the brush hog?

Greg

/ Old tractor recommendations #40  
Certainly could.. but unles doing it for fun.. cant see why you would want a self powered mower just due to clutch issues... These oldies run fine with single stage clutches and ORC's.

soundguy