Old tractor recommendations

/ Old tractor recommendations #1  

valleydweller1

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota B7510
Hi all,

Speaking long-term, I'm in the market for an older gas-powered tractor that can swing a 5-6' brush hog to keep my field mowed down. It's the kind of thing that I'll keep my eyes open for until I find the "right one".

Any suggestions on what model/models to keep my eyes open for?

Greg

/ Old tractor recommendations
As little as possible. Something cheap and reliable; 8n/9n's are plentiful but I'm not sure they'll mow as much as I'd like.

I'd like to keep the total price under $3k if possible.

Greg

/ Old tractor recommendations #4  
I'd be looking for an old 800 or 900 series Ford, or maybe an early 4000 Ford. I was at a farm sale last fall and saw a pretty nice on JD 3010 gas wide front sell for $2,000, something like that'd work to.

Take a look here, might find something or at least get an idea on price......Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com

/ Old tractor recommendations #5  
CumminsLuke said:
I'd be looking for an old 800 or 900 series Ford, or maybe an early 4000 Ford. I was at a farm sale last fall and saw a pretty nice on JD 3010 gas wide front sell for $2,000, something like that'd work to.

Take a look here, might find something or at least get an idea on price......Tractors For Sale at TractorHouse.com

I live in a farm area, I would love to find a 2000 dollar tractor. After two years of looking, thats why I bought a new Kubota

/ Old tractor recommendations #6  
valleydweller1 said:
Hi all,

Speaking long-term, I'm in the market for an older gas-powered tractor that can swing a 5-6' brush hog to keep my field mowed down. It's the kind of thing that I'll keep my eyes open for until I find the "right one".

Any suggestions on what model/models to keep my eyes open for?

Greg

Farmall 300 and 400 series
Massey Ferguson 35
Case 300 series
Ford 500, 600, 700 series

I bought a 1964 MF-135 diesel (45 hp engine, 38 hp pto) in July06 for $3600. The gas version is a few hundred cheaper, usually.

You can find 30-50hp (engine) Case tractors from the late 1950s that will fit nicely into your $3k budget. I would stay away from tractors with the Case-o-matic transmission.

Those 1950s and 60s Fords are nice and should fit your budget. Don't buy one with the Select-o-Speed (SOS) transmission.

I hesitate to recommend any old JD tractors from 1950s and 60s since collectors bid up the prices on these.

/ Old tractor recommendations #7  
I really don't want to start a war but an 8n 9n Ford is not much of a tractor. when it was new it was ok but there are so many better choices now that they are really a waste of money In MY Opinion.

I would look for a good Ford 3000 or 4000 or a MF 135 / 235. If you wanted a little more you can get some really nice Ford 4600 series stuff if you look around.

You can find some nice newer model stuff too from people that bought to small or too big and now just want to get out.

Remember this is just my opinion and may be worth what you paid for it.

/ Old tractor recommendations #8  
A 1960 dexta( same as a 2000 ford) will handle a 6 foot bush hog.Similar to mf 135. I cut 14 acers in 7 hours. My first tracter was a fix or repair daily 9 n

/ Old tractor recommendations #9  
If this is your first tractor I would go with something simple. I have a old Ford 800 that is a pretty good old tractor. I did the 12volt conversion and I believe it has about 40 HP and probably 35 at the pto. Speaking of the pto, if you are using a bush hog you really need to try to get a live pto.

Check everything over real good. My friend bought a 8N that looked pretty but had a oil pressure problem. Got that fixed and a simple flat tire ended up costing $800 due to rotted rims. Long and short is he has $5000 in a old tractor that is worth $3000 on a good day. He could have bought one of the 25HP Chinesse tractors new for that money.

Chris

/ Old tractor recommendations #10  
Also look for an AC D15 or 17,Case 30 series,David Brown 3800 or 4600,IH 400 series,or Oliver 550 would all be good choices.