Mowing Hills

/ Mowing Hills #1  

candersen10

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 262c, NH TN75, JD 6430 premium, JD 5325, Kubota BX2200, Ford 1710HC, JD 333E, JD3720, Farmall 504, Farmall 404.
I have incredibly steep hills on my farm and am trying to figure out a safe way to mow them. Has anyone see the new John Deere 20A? If that machine was fitted with 2 wheels per axel (giving it a total of 8), would it be a good hill mowing machine?

/ Mowing Hills #2  
You should check out the Power-Trac... that said we in the PT forum have been following this. I think it is a rebadged lombardini which is Italian.

14,500 is the asking price for the basic model.

No FEL.. PTO HP is pretty small for 14K... And the extra wheels will take it to at least 16.5K without accessories..

Nope, I kinda like my PT more and more...

/ Mowing Hills
The JD 20A is a rebadged Goldini machine. I can't see myself ever buying a powertrac machine simply because it is such a small company and I would not want to own such a machine if powertrac went out of business. I have a Ford 1710HC that I can't get parts for any more, if ford parts are hard to get, powertrac parts would be impossible to get.

On another note, it appears to me that the smaller powertrac machines (25 hp and below) are gasoline and also cost in the 12-14k range. The John Deere 20A, in this specific market, seems to be a far better bet. Not only do you get a diesel engine, you also get john deere's excellent parts and support network, a great warranty for a little while, and the machine has a three point hitch which makes it compatible with just about anything that is category 1 sized.

I am not saying that the powertracs are bad machines, however, I am not going to pay the amount of cash they ask for a machine that is so potentially risky down the road.

/ Mowing Hills #4  
all very solid points. None to argue with. But, PT has a FEL and a long list of attachments, making it a bit more flexible for me. I see you already have other tractors, so clearly this is not a selling point.

As Deere does not outright manufacture this tractor, you could suffer the same parts issue should the Italian connection fold.

PT uses pretty simple parts. Only a couple are "custom" and those could easily be replaced by other parts.

A big downside to PT is no dealer support. You are on your own once you get the tractor.

I do hope you are able to try out the 20. I was hunting for a Caraloni (sp) and had found a small version of it for sale in Oregon.

When I saw this I thought it might be a cool tractor until I realized there was no FEL..

Please, let the PT guys know what you think of it if you get a chance to try or buy one.

Carl

/ Mowing Hills #5  
This was on Craigslist. It's not my add though
I am offering tractors built in Italy that were designed and inteded originally for use in the vineyards. Italy is extremely mountainous, and rocky, so these tractors are very hearty and will take 51 degrees of slope,, aka 113% grade before tipping. This is sitting side long to the slope!

They offer a standard 3 point, PTO, extra hydraulics ( for back hoes, and other), have optional cabs, parts & service already located in many Washington locations and growing!

Since the early days of the Antonio Carraro Tractors(1960's) have been made over to also serve in ochards, nurseries, turf farms, golf courses, nut groves, and as commercial landscape machines here in the USA, introduced over 20 years ago.

These are no odd ball, ANY normal implement will work on them, and ANY reversible implement will work on our bi-directonal tractors.

Yep, on some of these models, you can spin the seat, steering and all the controls around and run your brush hog backward into your brush! No more getting tore up and bruised from unruly weeds!

For the listed money the tractor is a 48 Horse (Factory branded Perkins diesel), 4 wheel drive, 4 wheel disc brakes, 12x12 FULLY synchronized shuttle shift) with 540E independant PTO, multi stage clutch, and synchronized at ALL ground speeds. and a 1000 RPM front PTO. The power steering is load sensing, and powered by a pump independant of the 3 point lift.

The tractor has 15 degrees of twist on the front and rear axle and the chassis is an osccilating type.(twists in half) so even on rough ground it will keep it's wheels firmly planted.

These are an amzing tractor that has been being hidden in the food production world. If you could use a tractor like this in your life, and would be interested in having a hands on demonstration please contact me at 509-969-9477, or email me your mailing address with information about what size or horse power class you would be considering and the kind of work you would like to use it for. I will gladly send you a couple brochures for the tractors that fit your jobs.
Our smallest is 35 Horse and our largest is 95 horse

Attachments

• Steep hill1.jpg
    Steep hill1.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 981
   / Mowing Hills #6  
Another tractor to consider is the Ventrac 4200 31 hp turbo diesel. When equipped with dual wheels it is rated for continuous operation on slopes up to 30 degrees. See attached photo (slope of 28 degrees) and the Ventrac website Ventrac . The Steiner brothers who own Venture Products have been in business building articulated 4WD tractors since the middle 70s. A loader and over 30 other attachments are available.

I am delighted with my Ventrac 4200. I own it specifically because I have steep hills to mow.

JackIL

Attachments

• SteepSlopeSM.JPG
    SteepSlopeSM.JPG
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,515
   / Mowing Hills #7  
Treemonkey

Where the heck were you when I was out shopping for my tractor? So bummed... I love those carraro's. The only person I ever found dealing in them was in McMinville, OR. They had one used one that was thrashed. I kept looking and then settled on the PT...

Carl

/ Mowing Hills #8  
woodlandfarms said:
Treemonkey

Where the heck were you when I was out shopping for my tractor? So bummed... I love those carraro's. The only person I ever found dealing in them was in McMinville, OR. They had one used one that was thrashed. I kept looking and then settled on the PT...

Carl
Woodlands isn't that the way it works out. A day late and a dollar short. I hate it when things like that happen. If I had only waited....It looks like a nice machine. I don't need to mow anything steep. I plan on dragging logs out of the woods which might be steep. But I can't see buying a log skidder for that. Instead I will use my Kubota and be careful.
Jim

/ Mowing Hills #9  
Treemonkey, your answer to woodland farms also applies to me. I'm sitting here with a 3 month old Grand L4740 (that I love by the way) but I would have like to have seen what those Carraro's had to offer before I made my decision. I run around on some pretty steep hills. What makes it worse, it turns out that I have a dealer about 20 miles away. Ah well, maybe next time.

/ Mowing Hills #10  
Hi - Last year I bought a Goldoni Base 20 to use in our very narrow (48") rows of Christmas trees, this appears to be virtually identical to the John Deere 20A - I had the tires filled with fluid and it really sticks to sidehills without feeling tippy at all. The motor is a powerhouse, and it climbs like crazy, moves over bumps nicely with the oscillation in the front end - I have two specially made Italian flail mowers that are around 30" and 40" wide to pull through the fields. Anyhow, it only has around 140 hours on it and just isn't working out because we need the mower to be a belly type, the one on a 3 pt hitch moves too much and damages trees, particularly seedlings....I would sell it for MUCH less than they are asking for a new Deere 20A. I'm located in northern VA, please let me know if you'd like pictures or other information. It has been modified with front "fenders" to slip through the trees and paint has been scratched by the narrow rows, but it is in like-new mechanical condition. My e mail is s.wolff@comcast.net