Kubota vs. John Deere...

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #1  

tractorcoy

Hey everybody, i'm new to this, i'm a young guy looking to buy a tractor around the 70 or 80 HP range and can't decide between a Kubota or a John Deere. I don't know a whole lot about either but I hear good things about both and I am just curious of the expense for maintenance and upkeep on them both. Anyone have any opinions?

I will use it for general farm work on a 150 acre farm. (bushhog, hay, etc.)

Tractorcoy...

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #2  
Both are nice rigs. What features are you looking for? Open, Cab, 2wd, MFWD ect...
I just bought a MF a fews months ago and nearly went to a Kubota(and I really like MF's). The dealer was just a little farther away and the MF dealer traded a little better. Here in my part of OK you will find that Kubota is significantly cheaper in price than JD on a comparable models once you get up to the 90-125 hp range of tractor. I'm not sure of the pricing on the 70-80 hp models. Maintenance wise I'm not sure there would be a big difference. I have been avoiding models that are heavy into electronics in the dash panels and transmissons. I just don't feel good about how well all that will hold up over the long term. Dealers have assured me that my feelings on the subject are not well founded, so....it may be something to think about or not.
Good luck shopping.

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #3  
Welcome to TBN!

Your question is a good one, too bad there are no hard and fast answers! Both companies are top tier tractor producers. Both are 100% imported up to about 50 hp or so, then the JD might be domestic. Can't remember the break where they produce on shore - it may be higher hp even. If that's important to you.

The Kubota "M" class tractors will probably be what you are looking at or the top end of the "Grand L" - depends on how many acres of that farm are under cultivation. The L's go up to about 50-60 hp and the M's go up to a bit over 100 hp. I don't know the model series of the JD off hand, they have too many to keep straight.

As far as one being better than the other - it just ain't so. Both are extremely good companies producing extemely good tractors. You'll have to decide how big of a machine fits your needs (if you are a new tractor person- it's probably larger than you initially think). Then go to each dealer and spend some quality time with your seat in the seat. Get the feel for the controls, how they fit your body and the like. Then make up your mind on which you like the best. Between those 2 companies, you just can't go wrong (unless you buy too small (common for new to tractor people) or way too large (uncommon)).

Enjoy!
jb

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #4  
In my personal opinion, I think they are both good units from solid companies. I don't think either one would disappoint you in the long run.

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #5  
Hey tractorcoy, welcome to TBN!

You probably need to invest a bit more time trolling around here and then ask again. Tractor quality, for any of the major 'colors' of tractor, is very very high. These truly are machines built to last decades if not lifetimes.

So the journey to find the right one will take a while. And it will largely depend on what your personal likes are.

If I were you, I'd settle on the right size first. Maybe you could post that question here itself to start. Let everyone know what your property is like in terms of terrain, and what you want to do with the property.

Out of that you will get recommendations on size, and also some recommendations on brand and model.

Then you could visit dealers and look at/drive tractors of that size.

Then you would come back here and ask more specific questions about what you saw, features that look good or bad, things that are questionable in your mind, etc.

Good luck!

btw - I'm an Orange guy myself. But Green looks awfully nice too!

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #6  
Some things to think about and consider before you buy...I'm no expert by any means, but I have owned both brands but in smaller sizes than you're looking for and learned a few things. Both companies build excellent products...that's why many of us agonize over what to buy. Anyway...consider this:
1) Choose the size/hp/options you will need or want for your farm work and narrow the models to those that fit your budget. I like HST...makes fast work for a variety of operations. I originally thought some of the JD electronic stuff in their brochures was too juch for me...but now that I'm using these features, I find them helpful...I think they will last too.
2) Dealer support...IMO a dealer that has supports you after the sale is more important than the sales price. I learned a few good lessons that taught me price shopping for tractors is a bit different than car buying. My Kubota dealer was far away...very nice on the phone...but when it came to service or a warranty job, it was all about their schedule and when they would be in the area. We were talking weeks...not days. My JD dealer fully supported both of my sales. I could call in the morning with a question about this or that and someone was up at the house same day. Granted my Kubota dealer was a hours+ drive vs a 10 minute drive for JD...but factor this in your decision.
3) Try the tractors out...walk through the removal/installation of the 3ph arms, buckets, loaders, and attach implements...see how much time, effort, and/or tools you need to accomplish a change in your tractor's function. I found that JD has engineered a system for easy/fast/tool-less removal of the the 3ph, loader, buckets, mid-mount mower, etc. My Kubota was a PITA to remove the 3ph, backhoe, loader, etc...especially if the ground was not level.
4) Comfort/ergonomics...what feels right?

Ok, enough from me...I'm sure I left a lot out, but point is try to get the right tractore first time out...unlike me...I failed to do the above and paid the price by having to buy another tractor. Good luck and enjoy. One other thing...I was at a maple farm yesterday and they bought a new Massey...around 60+hp and said they saved about $8,000 over a similar sized 5000 series JD. It was a beauty. If I was Jay Lenno, I might be inclined to collect one of each just for the heck of it like he does with cars...oh well. Enjoy shopping no matter what you get!!!

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #7  
tractorcoy said:
Hey everybody, i'm new to this, i'm a young guy looking to buy a tractor around the 70 or 80 HP range and can't decide between a Kubota or a John Deere. I don't know a whole lot about either but I hear good things about both and I am just curious of the expense for maintenance and upkeep on them both. Anyone have any opinions?

Tractorcoy...

I agree that you need to look at the dealerships, that's the deciding factor really. question about the farm...Is there another tractor already? you'll probably spend alot of time on a 70 hp tractor wishing it was bigger or smaller, depending on the job. you might consider a 90 hp and a 50 hp tag team.

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #8  
JiminGa said:
depending on the job. you might consider a 90 hp and a 50 hp tag team.

And my wife wonders where I get crazy ideas like needing more tractors....

by the way, I like the way you think!!!

jb

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #9  
tractorcoy said:

Tractorcoy...

Welcome to many good ideas, great advice, and the need for a new budget!

Obviously Kubota and JD both make good tractors. Once you determine what size tractor you want, then you will probably find more models to choose from with JD that meet your needs. And once you find the exact Kubota or JD that you want, I think JD will offer more options.

If memory serves me correctly, the JD 5625 and 5603 both offer 99 or 98 engine HP and 82 PTO hp. This may be bigger than what you are looking for, but it still makes the point. The 5525 is a more expensive tractor and offers more options/luxeries. The 5603 is a value model which will probably be a closer price competitor to Kubota.

And be sure to check the HP numbers for an apple to apple comparison. For example, the JD 5625 is advertised as 99 HP while the JD 6430 is advertised as only 95 HP. Both are correct, but the JD 5625 is 99 engine HP and 82 PTO
HP, while the JD 6430 is actually 115 engine HP and 95 PTO hp. The reason I mention this is because I have seen people with a 5525 say his tractor is the same hp as his friend's 6420 but on a smaller frame. This is not true.

JD also has a 6615 and a 6430 which are both 95 PTO hp. Both are 115 engine hp, but there are several differences. They both offer cab, MFWD, etc., but the 6615 is cheaper. That is about where the similiarities end. The 6430 uses a 4 cylinder engine. The 6615 engine has the exact same bore and stroke, but it is a 6 cylinder (50% more displacement). The 6615 is 10"s longer, but 1000 lbs. lighter. The hydraulic output flow and pressure differ as well as the 3 pt. hitch lift capacity. etc., etc., etc.

Kubota numbers usually refer to engine hp, but the specs will show the details with both manufacturers.

Good luck!

/ Kubota vs. John Deere... #10  
I have one from each. The tractors are very well built and, in my opinion, the best around. From experience, I can tell you that the people telling you that the JD costs more than the Kubota simply have not shopped around or are simply repeating what someone told them who owns a Kubota. The price difference between comparable units is almost non-existent.

I like some things better on the Kubota and some things better on the JD. For example, the JD has a larger cab by a considerable margin in the hp size tractor you are considering; if you are going with a cab. The hydraulics on both tractors seem to be rather strong, but on three different Kubota tractors I've owned, the loader and 3 pt hitch bleed off at a rate of about a foot every hour. Kubota says that such a rate is acceptable. None of my JD tractors have done that.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong. I've owned several of each as well as a CNH tractor during the last few decades. Being that I've used, and abused, each and really have not had any issues, I'd simply go with which you have the gut feeling of liking the best.