How far is too far to the dealership?

/ How far is too far to the dealership? #21  
I cannot beat MossRoad but can raise him at least a two way ferry trip to get to my dealer who is over 300 miles away.

UPS, internet and phone calls are how I use the dealer. It's worked out so far. Having a cell phone while I crawled around with a multimeter has allowed the dealer to guide me through diagnostics when tracking down a 4WD issue that turned out to be an unplugged electrical connector under the tractor(courtesy of brush). Email allows digitial photos to be sent and parts diagrams to be returned. Short of needing major mechanical work or need for specialized diagnostics or tools, I'm quite happy with just having the dealer support me in this way.

/ How far is too far to the dealership? #22  
jcims said:
Thanks for sharing this Brad, it makes me feel a little better about my situation. One quick question, i saw another thread about 50 and 100 hour services, do you do stuff like that yourself or did you have the dealer take care of it (either they come to you or you haul it there)?

Thanks!

I do all of my own basic service. Anything major I have a local used dealer with the best shop and know how period. I like to keep money local but with the attitude I got locally I'll gladly drive to a different economic area and hand over my money with a smile. I usually beep the horn as I pass the local dealers with another dealers machine hanging off of the bumper. My local market only wanted to finance me to the hilt on new and used, I wanted to pay with cash. I found a dealer who liked cash better than all of the paperwork. So I bought there. With cash and no attitude in return.

Brad

/ How far is too far to the dealership? #23  
I'm 1600 miles from the nearest parts stock. (Wichita Falls).

This has worked ok over the past four years. The ROPS was the biggest thing they sent me by UPS.

Mine is definitely an Internet-supported tractor. That's one reason I"m on here!

/ How far is too far to the dealership? #24  
I've always thought it's more important to have a good quality product,compared to a so-so one and a close dealer as security blanket. Ran my farm for years with only one tractor. A Steyr,and they quit selling them here in 1984. Never needed anything major. What I did need was only a phone call to Austria away. Parts arrived in two days.