Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #1  

offroadr

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 3320
I tested a new EX3200 this week and I really liked it, especially for 15,999 with a FEL. With a 3320 JD going for about 20k with the 300cx, I am having a hard time justifying the extra $$. A L3400 with a FEL will run around 18K.

The Cub Yanmar seems like a decent machine (basically an upgraded JD790). The one thing I see is possibly reduced resale value since its not a popular color.

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #2  
I looked at a Yanmar Cub recently (not in the market- I was buying an implement); seems like a nice machine. Are JDs still Yanmars or did they change manufactures when Cub changed to Yanmar?

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #3  
All JD 3XXX's have the Yanmars. The JD 4XXX's have JD engines.

Note the differences between JD and Cub Cadet below.

3-point lift:

JD 3XXX specs:
Lift Capacity (24-in. behind link arms), 2200 lb.
Lift Capacity @ lift link ends, 2530 lb.

Cub Cadet EX3200 specs:
Lift Capacity (24-in. behind link arms), 1100 lb.
Lift Capacity @ lift link ends, ? lb. (not listed)

Loader:

JD 300CX specs:
Lift Capacity at full height
(measured at pivot), 1492 lb.
(measured at 500 mm ahead of pivot), 1047 lb.

Cub Cadet CL300 specs:
Lift Capacity at full height
(measured at pivot), 900 lb.
(measured at 500 mm ahead of pivot), 770 lb.

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota
Excellent summary there! I think I will be happy I went with the 3320

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #5  
Cub cadet seems to weave in and out of the CUT market. I would be worried about parts and service down the line.

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #6  
Cub thinks CUT is the first part of their tractor sales strategy - CUT and RUN.

They have dabbled and dropped tractor for a while. poor support.

You'd do better elsewhere.

jb

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #7  
Don't underestimate how important parts support is. The Cub may be an upgraded 790 but it sure ain't a 790 as far as parts availability and support goes - now and 10 years down the road.

Today I dropped by the neighbourhood Kubota dealer to buy a teeny tiny 'breather plug' for my front axle. It is a .5 or less cm square plug for the front axle that you are supposed to remove before pumping grease in. I overtighted it the last time around and in attempting to remove it for greasing this time, rounded the bugger off.

Figured they MUST have to order this in. My L3400 Kubota is a popular model but how many guys around here are rounding off their teeny tiny breather plug?

Caught the parts guy just as they had closed up shop for the day. He opened things up for me, found the part on the computer and had it in stock!

It's not only important to get a brand that will have parts support for time to come, but also IMHO to get a model within that brand that is popular enough so that stuff will be on the shelves for time to come.

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #8  
john_bud said:
Cub thinks CUT is the first part of their tractor sales strategy - CUT and RUN.

They have dabbled and dropped tractor for a while. poor support.

You'd do better elsewhere.

jb

I agree. If they are anything like the LT series lawn tractors, turn and walk away.

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota #9  
offroadr said:
I tested a new EX3200 this week and I really liked it, especially for 15,999 with a FEL. With a 3320 JD going for about 20k with the 300cx, I am having a hard time justifying the extra $$. A L3400 with a FEL will run around 18K.

The Cub Yanmar seems like a decent machine (basically an upgraded JD790). The one thing I see is possibly reduced resale value since its not a popular color.

I would be looking at the Kioti CK30.

/ Why should I not buy a Cub Cadet EX vs a JD or Kubota
offroadr said:
Excellent summary there! I think I will be happy I went with the 3320

Thanks for the replies. I went with a JD3320. Support and resale was a reason to spend a little more on the JD.

Thanks again this is a great website!!